The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 21, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1
RamSlammer

Any recommendations on snake boots/chaps?

Spring turkey season is coming up and unfortunately around here that coincides with snakes coming out from hibernation. Four years ago I was bitten by a pygmy rattlesnake while setting up a ground blind. It ranks high on worst experiences of my life. Timber rattlers abound on our land and I want to get out in the woods, but am somewhat apprehensive about a repeat episode with a larger rattler. The pygmy episode was not pleasant in the least and the doctors said it could have killed me if I was 2-3 hours later in getting to the hospital.

I have some lace-up 15" boots which claim to be armor from snakes. However, I am thinking of getting chaps to get higher coverage. The terrain is woods with much underbrush including downed limbs and trees from ice storms. POtentially snakes would find cover as high as waist level in some areas.

So what's a good chap for this situation? Before I was bitten we were blase about snakes and just "shooed" them out of our way when seen. I've seen huge timber rattlers on the property and we occasionally have both eastern and western diamondbacks including one eastern we shot outside the cabin in '02 that measured just under 6 feet.
Old March 21, 2010, 07:25 PM   #2
oneounceload

These guys seem to get good reviews:
http://www.turtleskin.com/Hunting-Clothing.aspx

For boots, Russell and Gokey both make snake boots - not cheap, but they work well
Old March 21, 2010, 07:46 PM   #3
fisherman66

I made a pair of snake chaps out of a pair of old heavy canvas milsup pants. I cut them into chaps and used paraffin wax and an old iron to make them puncture resistant. Couldn't have cost more than $5. I can't get a needle though them and if a snake could I still have high leather and high density nylon denier boots under.
Old March 21, 2010, 08:33 PM   #4
RamSlammer

Those turtle skin full coverage chaps look like just the ticket - thanks. They sure cost a bunch but if they're as light as claimed i guess it's worth it. For the record, I hate snakes! Never paid them any attention until bitten, but the numbers are getting out of control around here probably from having their natural predators displaced. Guess we need to thin the ranks.
Old March 21, 2010, 10:49 PM   #5
Buzzcook

You might want to look at chainsaw safety chaps.
Old March 22, 2010, 02:26 AM   #6
teeroux

I never liked the sound of rubbing chapps or the extra heat on the legs when it gets warm so I just wear leather boots, carry a bite kit, and watch out where I'm stepping very carefully. I watch out so carefully I've probably killed more snakes than game animals thus far.
Old March 27, 2010, 09:15 AM   #7
waterfowler

Quote:
You might want to look at chainsaw safety chaps.
ahh do you mean the new style ones? the new ones are just nylon. When the chain hits the nylon, the fibers get so thightly wound up in the clutch sprocket etc...

I really do not think those chaps will stop a snake from penetrating. Those chaps are meant for chainsaws. Get something that has the snakeproof ratings. Do a lot of research.
Old March 27, 2010, 09:58 AM   #8
RamSlammer

Here's what I bought . . . They fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=0
Old March 27, 2010, 10:40 PM   #9
grubbylabs

Those are good looking.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 27, 2010, 11:46 PM   #10
Shak

These are a good idea, never heard of this type of clothing before. Some extra heavy leggings would be worthwhile if it stopped a bite.

Never come across much in the bush, but where I grew up had a fairly high population of inland Taipans and King brown snakes - aggressive as hell.
Old March 28, 2010, 12:10 AM   #11
Stiofan

Cabelas sells quite a few different kinds. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0053420943389a
Old July 14, 2010, 03:49 PM   #12
fly4fish

Best Snake Boots: Danner Pronghorns I have worn them all day for several days in a row. They are just about as comfy as the regular pronghorns.

Best Snake Gaiters: TurtleSkin Snake Armor Snake Gaiters. THese are light and made out of a puncture proof fabric, not plastics like most.

Here is the site that showed me both products. I hope I can get the link to work: www.SnakeProofGear.com