The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 30, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Jeff2131

AR10 buffer spring question.

I recently got a DPMS AR10 SASS. I have never "modified or upgraded an ar before. Was wondering if they make different type of buffer springs and plates to lessen the recoil of ar's. Also, can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive drop in trigger group that works well with this rifle?
Old December 30, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Ritz

Doesn't the DPMS use a carbine length gas tube? My understanding is that all other things being equal, the mid and rifle length tubes are a bit more tame for recoil than carbine length. I suppose you could achieve similar results with a smaller port orifice and/or a heavier buffer.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Txhillbilly

I've never had any recoil issues with my LR series rifle,but DPMS only uses 1 type of Buffer and Spring.
As for a trigger,any trigger for an AR15 will work in the LR series. I use a Rock River 2 stage NM trigger in mine.
Old December 30, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Jeff2131

Dont get my wrong, its not like its an extreme recoil, its fine but its enough that when using my backup red dot, it makes it difficult to fire rapidly and quickly reacquire the target. For example, at our range, we have 3 10" steel gongs at 150yards, i like to sweep left to right and back again with the red dot, trying to quickly acquire each target and nail all 20rnds in under 20seconds without missing a shot. I can nail all 30rnds with the ar15 but the ar10 has a bit more recoil making it tough to reacquire the target in that time frame. I dont know alot about smithing or upgrading the ar platforms so i.figured id ask about the.buffer spring since it.seemed easy enough to swap out.
Old December 31, 2013, 01:01 AM   #5
Jimro

An inexpensive drop in trigger?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod19696.aspx

Beware that the RR NM triggers can start to lighten pull weight and go a little "mushy" between stages in as few as a thousand rounds. That only matters to service rifle competitors though.

If you can afford it, I think this is a better option.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/247...wo-stage-matte

Timney also makes a fine trigger, and they truly are "drop in" simple.

Jimro