The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Dillon 650 XL

I love this press. I don't have a similar press from a different manufacturer to compare it with, but this press is sweet!
Old May 26, 2015, 06:34 AM   #2
higgite

I hear ya, Doc. I feel the same way about my RCBS Pro 2000.
Old May 26, 2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Vance

Some people feel that way about their Hornady L-N-L AP also. All 3 machines are good.
Old May 26, 2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I am sure that is correct.....

I would love to have enough time and money to get intimately familiar with all three.

OTOH....If the worst thing I have to worry about in my life is having to tolerate only using a Dillon press, I think I probly have it pretty good.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Developed a problem this AM......

Doing .45 ACP and primers stopped dropping.

Pressed lightly on the primer stack with a long probe. No luck.

Removed the tube from the machine, dumped out the primers and noted a bit of a burr on the brass fitting at the bottom of the tube.

Tried to smooth it out with a brush, then a stuffer brush and finally a brass bristle brush. Looks better but still the primers don't drop.

Call up Dillon. Set up a customer account. The replacement tube is on the way free of charge with no questions asked.

I probly ought to lay on a supply of spare parts. Any suggestions as to what frequently fails on these presses?

I have two spare presses which I use for loading calibers that I don't shoot as much. So the temporary service problem ion the Dillon is not a show stopper.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Seamaster

Dillon sells a small misc. parts bag for the 650 for around $30, saved my backside last night when I had a piece fall off the small charge bar(small square shape piece with a hole in the center) used the spare from the parts bag to finish the reloading I needed to get done, finally was able to locate the piece this am. Dillon customer service is GREAT!
Old May 26, 2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

Good lead.....

Thanks
Old May 26, 2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Vance

Yes. I have thought about getting that spare parts box. That way I can be up and running quicker when a part wears out. Use the replacement part. then call up Dillon for a free replacement to restock your spare parts box. But I have only had to call twice in the last 4 or 5 years and one of those times I was looking to buy the replacement part because the part broke from my heavy handed handling. I made sure to tell the guy at Dillon that and they would not take my money, just sent me a replacement part free.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:29 PM   #9
Shootest

My XL 650 is nearly 21 years old and I still love it. I bent the plate that the shell plate attaches to, they sent a new one free and since then they beefed it up making it much stronger/thicker. I guess I wasn’t the only one, but I think I was the first one, since they couldn’t figure out how I did it. I told them it was my fault but they didn’t charge me one Penney.
Old May 27, 2015, 05:06 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

I have three different presses.....

The first one I bought is an upgraded Lee three hole press. I upgraded it to four holes but now I see that was not all that necessary. I use it for the calibers that I shoot moderately. Black powder cartridge for .45-70, .45 LC, .38 Special, .357, Smokeless Tokarev, and when I get started, Makarov.

I have a good single stage Lee for special stuff and for a backup to the Lee multistage press. I have already broke the Lee twice and so the single stage was purchased to keep me going while waiting for parts.

I bought the Dillon because it became clear that I would be shooting .45 ACP and 9 mm Luger a lot. So this ammunition will be made in bulk, just right for the Dillon. The next caliber I will load from the Dillon is .380.
Old May 27, 2015, 01:57 PM   #11
BigJimP

I use a 650 with a case feeder as well.....( for last 15 yrs or so )....and I load about 35,000 rds a yr ( handgun only ) with it....its been a great press !

I like having the spare parts kit ( its only $ 26 )....so if I lose or drop something, like a little spring, I replace it ...and call Dillon for another one.

Nothing major has broken on my press in 15 yrs ( and about 525,000 rds )...I've replaced a few of the electronic alarms ( they sell a kit to rebuild them ) that wore out...a small spring here and there..but not many. ( don't let the batteries set in those alarms too long ...I try to remember to change them out twice a year - June 1 and Dec 1 - same time I check the smoke alarms in the house...)....

I loaded up 15 boxes of 9mm this morning...before I came into the office....and case gauged each round, and boxed them up inside of an hour !! Life is good....
Old May 27, 2015, 05:45 PM   #12
TheGunPunch

I'm glad to hear you love your 650. I have a 550 and hope to expand my production and get a 650 in the future as well. Dillon takes care of their customers as you have already found out. A spare parts kit is not a bad idea.

http://www.thegunpunch.com
Old May 27, 2015, 07:39 PM   #13
Vance

It's a love/hate relationship. You either love to hate the machine, or you hate to love it. :-)
Old May 27, 2015, 09:03 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

How about the dies?????

I use Lee dies and I am not thrilled with them because they need to be set so far into the tool holder that the locks nuts don't have much purchse on the threads of the dies. They seem to work fine, just don't inspire confidence.

How about this. I use a die for seating and separate one for crimping. It'll work with one die for both but it seems like it would be more precise with two.

Is that pretty much standard?

Only thing I load with the Dillon so far is .45 ACP and 9 MM.
Old May 27, 2015, 09:31 PM   #15
Vance

I started with Lee dies and they do work in the XL650. They work better with the Dillon lock rings on them though. I did buy a full set of Dillon dies for 45 acp and have discovered that I really like them. I like them so much that I am going to replace my Lee dies I have for 9mm and 357 mag with them. I do seat and crimp in separate stations on mine. Seat in station 4 and crimp in station 5. If you load lead bullets, then Dillons crimp die works so much better than Lee's factory crimp die as it (the FCD) tends to swage the bullet down in size, the Dillon does not.

I will keep the Lee dies for use in my Classic Cast single stage press I have.
Old May 28, 2015, 06:18 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

Agree and thanks

No point in selling dies. They are almost always worth more than you can get for them.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:02 AM   #17
BigJimP

Seating and crimping are best done in 2 stations.../ and no reason not to when you're using the 650 press with 5 stations.

The Lee dies will work ...but I like the Dillon dies a lot better ( just how they come apart for cleaning if nothing else ).
Old May 28, 2015, 02:27 PM   #18
COSteve

I've had my XL650 with Casefeeder for years and put together a few Cheap Tips and Tricks you might find interesting. You can find them HERE. In addition, I've also posted One Man's Reloading Steps you also might enjoy HERE.
Old May 28, 2015, 04:37 PM   #19
Doc Hoy

Yep....

Read em both. It the words of Charles Travis Postlewaite, "Liked it."