The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2012, 05:11 PM   #26
Don P

Quote:
Isn't the standard length for the 230 grain round nose 1.275 in? Is is possible for that to make a difference? (Grasping at straws here)
No the OAL should be 1.250. If I get to 1.257 the round will not chamber in my 1911's. I don't think there is a 1911 that will chamber a 1.275 OAL and it will NOT fit in the magazine
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:27 AM   #27
Shootest

1stmar, I went with the standard 16lb spring. I believe the old one was a 16lb also, but it is 35 years old. I got both a 16lb and a 14lb when I bought the gun, but never used the 14lb, and still have it. Yes I have had this gun for a long time, I paid $450.00 for it with 2 springs and 2 clips and an extended slide release. Not bad for a stainless Gold Cup in today’s money, but it was hard to pay that much for a gun back then.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:17 AM   #28
1stmar

Glad it is resolved that was an interesting one.
Old August 21, 2012, 10:03 AM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

Don P,

I assume you're referring just to cast bullets or others with hemispherical noses. All the military hardball I have (Winchester WCC and IMI TZZ) measures 1.260" to 1.270" and it all fits the magazines on my 1911's just fine and feeds properly. As Jim Watson pointed out earlier, the fit depends on having a bullet with a military elliptical nose profile.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle