The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 17, 2007, 03:55 PM   #1
shooter71

Talk to me about Blackwater USA

i knew about them ..with Sig having a Blackwater model..but i really didnt look into them that much , since the site to me looked like it was for professionals and not civi's, until i read a thread earlier on tactical schools and location and found that they are here in my home state , so i got sparked , i didnt know they were this close since all the ones i see are in Arizonaor, Nevada, Tx, you know the ones im talking about. so whats the take on Blackwater, has anyone been there? looks like it would be expensive?
Old January 17, 2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Baphomet

The Blackwater website has information on courses offered, costs, etc.
Old January 18, 2007, 04:09 AM   #3
Blackwater OPS

What would your goal be for taking the course?
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old January 18, 2007, 10:56 AM   #4
shooter71

Blackwater

well ..not sure how to answer since i dont really know what all is involved ..im not an LEO or military...so a course in home defense or something like that with a handgun..some self defense with a firearm and without..down the road..a shotgun course and a rifle course..i plan on buying a MP5 clone as soon as i can

honestly the learning aspect and last but not least the overall experience.

i dont plan on being a contractor or bodyguard..

not sure if this helps
Old January 18, 2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Blackwater OPS

My honest advice would be to same your money and spend it on ammo and range practice. You will get far more out of that. The only reasons to do Blackwater training that I can see, are for the actual military/leo/contractor person, or for people who seriously enjoy pretending and have the extra money to throw away.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old January 18, 2007, 02:49 PM   #6
shooter71

Blackwater

what do you think about Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Sig Arms..?

or there again save my money?

i the the exp would be the greatest thing..being put in some real world type senarios..home invasion type stuff..anything but just shooting at a paper target at the range and not being able to move , shoot left , right .or even holster draws..thats not allowed around at any range..stand, load and shoot...and i dont know anyone who has any land to go shooting at as of yet..i need to join a shooting club , and get involved with a group of people ..do some IDPA , or some other shooting org. that would prb be the best place to start out..
Old January 18, 2007, 03:33 PM   #7
rantingredneck

If you're looking for something less expensive and more civilian oriented give this place a try. http://www.handgunners.com/personal_training.htm
Old January 18, 2007, 04:05 PM   #8
shooter71

honestly...
i dont see why there arent more places that train with the simunitions paint ammo(at least i dont know of any around here)..thats as real as it gets..and no i have no urge to get into paintball competitions..those arent real world firearms..im not trying to sound like rambo here but you guys know what im getting at..we go to training classes for one thing..to learn not to freeze up if or when an attack may happen and to learn what to do and what not to do...

ive been thinking if nothing else buying some targets, and poppers to set up in the woods behind where i live..id have to use the paint ammo..then i could shoot 180 left , right vice versa and practise without worrying about where the round went...hey i dont hunt ..mans gotta do something lol
Old January 18, 2007, 04:06 PM   #9
shooter71

good site ranting..

esp since im in NC ..
Old January 18, 2007, 04:06 PM   #10
Big Don

Tftt

Shooter71, I know you read the list and posted to the thread about schools so you probably read my post about TFTT. Go to the website and see if they're going to be in your neighborhood. If not then get a group of like-minded shooters together and arrange for a class of your own. Max will travel to you if it's close to being financially reasonable for him. You will find just what you're looking for in his classes and the money will be very well invested in your personal education.
Old January 18, 2007, 04:36 PM   #11
AndrewD

+1 for simunitions training.
Old January 18, 2007, 10:48 PM   #12
Blackwater OPS

Gunsite and others are fine, just make sure you get a class intended to teach what you want, IE CCW self defense, or Home defense with SG ect. You don't want to learn military operations in urban terrain. Classes that teach you how to mentally prepare for a shoot, and gain muscle memory to draw and fire accurately are great, just don't forget that the fundementals take hundreds of hours to learn and a one or 2 day class only points you in the right direction to start training. Don't spend too much.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old January 18, 2007, 10:52 PM   #13
Big Don

+1 "just don't forget that the fundementals take hundreds of hours to learn and a one or 2 day class only points you in the right direction to start training."
Then you continue the education with regular trips to the range. Better yet, find a range that offers combat/practical weapons matches and attend every match you can.
Old January 18, 2007, 11:39 PM   #14
rantingredneck

Yeah Shooter, They've got a nice facility too. It's about 15 mins from me and I shoot there pretty often. Good people.
Old January 22, 2007, 11:53 PM   #15
greyson

FYI, many schools offer simunitions training. Usually it is in the upper level classes and is labeled as something like "Force on Force" or "Code Eagle" in my experience. Others may vary.

Regards,
Greyson