The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 26, 2000, 04:12 PM   #1
CleanCut

Hello. As a prospective varmint hunter, I was looking at another varmint hunter's website. He specifically describes what hunting is from his point of view. Elsewhere on his website, he describes in detail with photos what coyotes do to livestock.

For those who are new to this thread, I stated my position previously (See the thread, 'Coyotes: Are they always fair game?'). I said it's OK to prune out troublemakers damaging livestock. My view was it was wrong to just go out and shoot coyotes for target practice only.

Nevertheless, an avalanche of protests ensued. What right do I have to question another hunters ethics, I was asked?

Well, take a look at what another varmint hunter says. He says exactly what I was saying, applying it to hunting in general. His comments are titled, 'HOW I FEEL ABOUT HUNTING'. He's also a member of VHA, Varmint Hunters Association. My view is in good company with other seasoned varminters!
See: www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/4263/vrmnthnt.htm
Old February 26, 2000, 04:56 PM   #2
muleshoe

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!! Here we go again. This guy says he doesn't hunt for fun? Then says he would go deer hunting if a friend asked him. Why? Does his friend have a problem with marauding deer? Have a need to go thin out the "troublemakers"? I'd like to know how he can tell the "bad" coyotes from the nice ones. CC, can I call you CC? I think this guy has got to like what he's doing somewhat or else why would he?

CC, if your a bit squeemish about the kill, then for heavens sake don't do it. You just can't "prune out troublemakers", they don't wear black hats. They all have the potential of being "troublemakers". Give them the opportunity and they'll take it. Coyotes by nature are opportunist.

CleanCut, good to see you back, it's been kinda dull around here lately.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old February 26, 2000, 07:02 PM   #3
CleanCut

OK rancher (Muleshoe). I accept your views about coyotes. I can understand how in your environment, coyotes deserve to be shot on sight. After viewing the images on the above website of livestock ripped open brutally by 'yotes, your point is well taken. Why should someone feel sorry for coyotes anywhere?

I don't know how to explain it. I guess I would say then, it all depends. You'll know if it's right when you see it. It's a human quality - not squeemishness - but instinct, to evaluate with all senses and justify for oneself what one's actions are. As you can see, when presented with more information as I was (on the above website) and seeing coyote massacres, I was flexible to understand that viewpoint. Likewise, my only original purpose was to try to convince others, hunters, to remember the quality, the human quality, that makes us one of the higher animals. Like the Ancient Greeks, humans today seek a "higher" endeavor. It's a thing the Ancients invented, Sport, which man today tries to emulate. I just hope those who hunt do it fairly and remember the human side to it all, if you will. It will do alot more to convince anti's (some at least) that hunters aren't so bad afterall. Appreciate your good sentiment.
Now where's that varmint gun!
Old February 27, 2000, 12:19 AM   #4
JohnDog

Cleancut,

Exactly what, did you miss from the first thread that you started? What this guy said on his web site is what Muleshoe, myself and many others said about coyotes.

I hate to say this, and you may take it as a flame or not, but as the Nike ad's say - Just Do It! Spend less time surfing the net, and more time at the range. Find out how your rifle shoots in a crosswind. See if your handloads and your rifle ( and you ) are capable of minute of angle groups. Call a coyote in, or walk up to a prarie dog mound, and see what happens.

After that - You, yes you will actually have to make a moral decision, all by yourself, to hunt and kill an animal. Be it a varmint, meat hunt or trophy animal; you will actually have to put sights on the target and make a conscious act to pull the trigger. In the end, the only person you will have to justify it to is yourself. Although we all can express our opinion, that is all it is - our opinion - not yours!

Good Luck - JohnDog
Old February 27, 2000, 01:29 PM   #5
CleanCut

JohnDog,
I wasn't too clear about your first sentence. On the second, I think my posts above make pretty clear what my agreement was with another Varmint Hunters viewpoint. He says he doesn't kill animals for "fun". Do you agree with that statement also? If not, you are in disagreement with another season varmint hunter.

As for time surfing the net, well, that's kind of personal, isn't it? I mean, I don't tell you that you can't watch your ball games, do I? That's really not my business, now is it?

I didn't say anything about "morals", you did. I use the word "sport". Remember, it was the Bible where man learned to degrade animals, right? Bible teaches man to be "above" nature. My view equals the playing field alittle. I think that's a healthier view for sportsman.

Old February 27, 2000, 03:35 PM   #6
Randy Garrett

All coyotes are bad coyotes. They do enormous damage to our deer populations, as well as a variety of other species including domesticated pets. Their populations are extremely high throughout the county, and fewer people hunt them these days. When you see a coyote in a legal shooting situation, dump him.
www.garrettcartridges.com
Old February 27, 2000, 03:48 PM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

OK Clean Cut. I'm not clear on what you want or your personal philosophy.

As you seem to be having trouble arriving at some conclusion, let me help.

You will not find it here. You have generated some excellent replies, so study them.

If you have a specific question feel free to post it, but do not continue in this vein.

Giz
Closed Thread