The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 19, 2000, 10:57 PM   #1
CD1

Today I went to hunt an area we hunt frequently. I parked in a different place this time b/c I was in a hurry and didnt have time to take my usual route in. I parked my truck and walked to the tree I would hunt out of, then about 20 minutes later some goober from the hunting club that owns the land next to the land I was hunting pulled up behind my truck. After about 2 minutes I hear him yell "Get the F off our land!" Now Im really confused. Did I park on his land before walking on to the public land? I get down, leave my gun at the tree so as not to escalate anything, walk to my truck and he is gone. He left a note threatening to prosecute me after this first and ONLY warning. Not sure about my parking, I move my truck squarely into the middle of the public field behind my stand, and go back to an uneasy hunt. About sunset I hear a truck come creeping down the dirt road and stop. Then I hear a gun shot VERY close to my position. Sounded like it was pointed in my general direction. Now I get up and look at the field behind me. One truck blocking the exit, another driving right to left across the far field line to block the other exit. I figure Id rather confront these guys with a little light left rather than in the dark so I pack up my gear and head into the field. Im about 20 yards out and I hear another gunshot, sounds like in my general direction (dont hear any bullets cracking bye or impacting so I figure they are not shooting at me, just trying to screw up my hunt). One of the trucks is the same as the one that left me the note. I yell at them to let them know somebody is out in the field and they both take off. Upon arriving home I double check my arial photos from city hall, sure enough I was on PUBLIC LAND. That moron doesnt even know the boundaries of his hunting club, and he is harassing other hunters, essentially calling me a poacher and taking my tag number. Man I am pissed. Im going to call the game warden tomorrow and see if he can go out there and lock this club on about their property lines. How about it guys, how would that make you feel?
Old December 19, 2000, 11:25 PM   #2
swampgator

Call your local Wildlife Officer. We take a lot of calls very, very similiar to what you just described. Gator's take on the situation (Again this as a Joe Schmoe and not a state employee):
Hunt clubs can be a problem. Members pay considerable amounts to hunt on land they don't own. Anyone hunting in close proximinty (sp) of "their" land is considered trespassing. Nevermind that they probably don't know where the property actually lies. Bordering a management area probably worse because you're hunting the same game as they are, yet paying a lot less.

Don't get me started on the anchovies that break game rules. Regardless of where you live you will have hunters with the arrogant Redneck attitudes. They give us all a bad image. Plus being a bonafide redneck, I already have a strike against me.

But seriously call and at least make a complaint for information that members of the hunt club are in fact trespassing on state property.

Gator
Old December 20, 2000, 11:31 AM   #3
CD1

I called a buddy of mine that owns the hunting store in town, he gave me the name of a guy that used to run that hunt club. Called him (nice guy), and he said he knew exactly who did it just from hearing the situation. Gave me the guys name and said he would call him to find out what the problem was. I then called the game warden, he said he knew exactly who it was, and spit out the same name as the other guy. Apparently this club has a few radicals in it that create problems like this. The warden is going to call the president of the club, and the other guy told me to call him back after he gets a chance to talk to him. Im still steaming over this one. The game warden mentioned that I could press charges for hunter harassment, and that they have written this guy several tickets in the past for other violations.
Old December 20, 2000, 11:50 AM   #4
mjcitra

Definitely talk to a game warden or conservation officer and tell them that these jerks are harrasing people on public land. Let the game warden tell them that this is public land. They were actually firing near you? That is outrageous. Make sure you tell the warden that part as well, that is absolutely nuts!
Old December 20, 2000, 03:55 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

Am I the only person who gets a sour stomach when I hear the words "hunting club"??? I know it's these people's right to charge for hunting their land, but I just wish it still involved tenderloins, not the $1,000 per year sums that I and probably many others can't afford
I guess I'd feel differently if I owned any land myself
Old December 20, 2000, 06:06 PM   #6
Fisher

CD1, If it were me I would file the charges against them and there hunting club. Since these jerks have been ticketed for doing this before there certainly seems to be a pattern here and the club is letting it continue. I'm not an attorney but it seems to me if they are allowing this type of behavior from a dues paying member of there club. There should be enough liablity to go around for all involved including the club itself.

Granted the other members did not participate but something like this might cause them to police there members a little more closely.

We don't have leased lands for hunting here in Ohio. So I have not had any dealings with them one way or another. From what I have heard both on TFL and other sites I am thankful we don't have them here.
Old December 20, 2000, 06:53 PM   #7
BadMedicine

Ever get Deja vu?

(didn't we just argue the whole "hunt club" thing??)
Old December 20, 2000, 06:53 PM   #8
Zeebrahed

Something can be said of having a large caliber handgun on your person during the hunt. Sure, there are some jackass hunters out there, but when someone begins to endanger YOUR skin...be prepared to deal with that threat. Just remember...public land or not, you may be RIGHT but you could end up DEAD.
Old December 20, 2000, 08:17 PM   #9
patrickt66

What Fisher said. Unfortunately you have to try to use the legal system instead of "range justice." Watch your six with characters like these.
Old December 20, 2000, 09:12 PM   #10
SnakeLover

CD1, sorry that you had a good day in the field spoiled. If it was me, and I am kinda hard headed, I'd go back there the next day (with a friend??) and park in the same spot, go to the same tree stand, but only this time in addition to whatever I'm hunting with, I also throw in the camcorder. When the "morons" return and start in, I hit the record button. Make sure you zoom in on their faces before pulling back to take in the wide view, much better evidence in court.

With that little tape in my pocket, I serve a lawsuit against the individuals separately and the club as a whole. Hell, make a copy of the tape and deliver it to the club president when you sue them so they can see what jerks are members! Once you have their attention, you can work something out and drop the suit or pursue, your choice.

I'm a control freak, and I would want them to be squirming. It seems obvious from the follow up that these guys aren't getting the message.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Snake
Old December 20, 2000, 10:41 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Differences

Reading the posts in this thread, and the other lengthy discussion of leasing lands for hunting, I'm struck by the difference in behavior between some small, private group leasing a ranch, and members of a "hunt club".

Back around 1970, a group calling itself the "North American Hunt Club" was formed; I got some info in the mail. As it turned out, they leased a ranch next to where my group was. Now, during the course of a season, our guys fixed fence, or helped feed cows and on occasion helped doctor for screw worms. Just generally helped take care of the place--and only hunted "our" ranch.

The NAHC seemed to have enrolled every fence jumper in the doggoned country! We took to "playing", patrolling the south fence line against these clowns. We'd see one cross the fence, step from some brush on his left side, and loudly say, "Howdy!" In such a situation, even an average fella can outjump anybody in the NBA. Once, our ranch owner stopped two trespassers. Their choice was to leave, gunless, or face the Uvalde County sheriff and judge. He also kept their official ID, and mailed it back to their employer: The Louisiana Highway Patrol.

Slobs is slobs, whether private land or public land.

Art
Old December 21, 2000, 09:23 PM   #12
jbgood

You got it right, Art. I have had similar experiences with slob "hunters", myself.

My real concern, here, is that these goofball lawbreakers/poachers/idiots, whether from a hunt club, private lease, public land, or whatever, are seen as belonging to the same fraternity of hunters and gun owners as the rest of us. It's possible that the non-hunting public will associate the actions of these unethical knuckleheads with responsible, law-abiding hunters. It's a sure bet that the media will! So, all of us end up suffering the consequences of the bad guys' actions.

My fear is that our rights to bear arms and hunt are threatened more by these negative images than any other single thing. I believe that anything we can do to clean up our own ranks will only support our cause, and hope that CD1 is successful in legally punishing the guys who ruined his hunt.