The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 2, 2000, 03:42 PM   #1
shortround73

What are the causes of having unlevel scope bases. What has to be done to correct this.
Old September 2, 2000, 08:33 PM   #2
k in AR

Need more info, like what gun are you having a problem on, brand of rings, bases, etc.

Some rifles require special rings, some rings actually have a side that must face forward, etc...

If you have the right items, & them installed right, you may simple need to lap them to correct a slight error in alignment. For anymore than a slight problem you need to return the rings & get an other set, or better yet try a different brand.
Just my 2 cents here, but some also will suggest shimming the lower base. However, for my taste this should be the last resort. Anything under a mount is an open invitation to looseness later. Hope this helps, k
Old September 3, 2000, 02:04 PM   #3
shortround73

The rifle is a Century Arms .270 (mauser action). rings are weaver. What do you mean by lapping. Plan on changing to leupold.
Old September 4, 2000, 01:11 AM   #4
Badger Arms

Use Burris Signature Rings. They have ball-joint inserts that automatically correct for any misallignment. Check out:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/signaturerings.html
Old September 4, 2000, 06:04 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Shortround, if they are radically different you probably have the wrong bases installed. The ones you need by Weaver are #45 rear and #46 front. These compensate for the difference in the front and rear of the receiver. If it's just slightly out of level there could be burrs on the screw holes under the bases. If so remove by using a larger drill bit. Insert the point in the hole and chamfer it by turning the bit with your hand. George
Old September 4, 2000, 01:03 PM   #6
shortround73

George, are the bases stamped with the number so i can tell if i have the right bases.
Old September 4, 2000, 01:33 PM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

If they are Weaver bases the numbers will be on the top of the rail. That's Weaver brand, not just Weaver style. George
Old September 5, 2000, 05:52 PM   #8
shortround73

George, I have #KS50 and #KS51. Does it make a difference if you use the same bases from the same scope company ie. leupold bases w/leupold scope etc.
Old September 5, 2000, 11:15 PM   #9
Badger Arms

Sounds like Kwik-Site bases. I do also believe that these are the right ones but that's from memory. It's likely that you have one of three problems already discussed. A burr sticking up on the receiver or base. A poorly or improperly machined receiver. Just enough normal misallignment to make a difference.

My vote is that you just buy the Burris Signature rings and don't worry about it. Make sure the bases are seated, tight, and locktited though first. Another advantage to the Burris Rings is that they have plastic inserts that won't put scope-rings on your scope.
Old September 6, 2000, 07:41 AM   #10
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Shortround, this is something I should have asked at the beginning. How out of level is it? Sometimes rings will be designed for one to be higher than the other like Ruger rings but usually both will be the same height. George
Old September 6, 2000, 07:42 AM   #11
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Shortround, this is something I should have asked at the beginning. How out of level is it? Sometimes rings will be designed for one to be higher than the other like Ruger rings but usually both will be the same height. It realy doesn't matter if the rings and scope are the same brand. George
Old September 6, 2000, 06:45 PM   #12
shortround73

Well George to tell you i just used a carpenters level to check for level. It seems that the bases are level from the front base to the rear base. However when i took the level and placed it facing left to right on each base the front base is level the rear base is off and vice versa.
Old September 7, 2000, 07:42 AM   #13
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Shortround, I was under the impression that they were off front to rear. If there are no burrs around the edges of the holes one pair of holes is off center. George
Old September 7, 2000, 11:10 AM   #14
DeBee

shortround-

Just a possibility here: You may have flexed your action by overtightening one of the action screws...

Had a similar problem before and just couldn't wrap my brain around it... Take the action out of the stock and try again.
Old September 8, 2000, 06:37 PM   #15
shortround73

Well if one is off-center, how do yall fix it. Do yall just redrill and tap new holes?
Old September 8, 2000, 08:12 PM   #16
Badger Arms

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shortround73:
Well if one is off-center, how do yall fix it. Do yall just redrill and tap new holes?[/quote]

No, there won't be enough room and your gun will be weaker and end up looking like swiss cheese. All of your problems can be soved with Burris Signature Scope Rings. No new holes, no swiss-cheese receiver. In truth, EVERY TWO PIECE SCOPE BASE IS UNEVEN. It's a matter of degrees of unevenness. The Burris rings will correct for windage also if it's off-center.

------------------
God made us in his own image.
Thomas Jefferson made us free.
John Browning made us equal.

Without Browning, we might not know about the other two...
Old September 8, 2000, 09:27 PM   #17
shortround73

thanks guys for all the info. Good hunting.
Old September 10, 2000, 11:54 PM   #18
shortround73

OK what kind of thread lock should i use.
Old September 11, 2000, 08:00 AM   #19
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Shortround, on the rings nothing. For the base screws just a drop or two of epoxy will hold them forever. If you need to remove them the heat from the tip of a soldering iron or heated screwdriver will soften the epoxy. George
Old September 11, 2000, 08:02 PM   #20
shortround73

Thanks George. Leupold recommended that i use super high rings. Is there any way to avoid that using 50mm obj.