The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 31, 2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Picher

Granddaughters Learn to Shoot!

Yesterday, I instructed our two teenage granddaughters in rifle shooting, using my Rem 504, Marlin 39A, and .223 Rem 700 LVSS. I couldn't believe how well they shot, since neither had shot much before. They were hitting all the small metal targets with the .22LRs about dead center at about 60 yards and centered clay targets placed in my new holder. The older one shot a gallon jug full of water with the .223 and the other one videoed it with her phone. They're so cool!

Afterwards, they each shot twice at the RAM, 182 yards away, while standing behind my pickup and over a sandbag. The ammo was a new load, using Hornady 53 grain V-Max, over 23 grains of A2230. Wind was gusty at 10-20 mph from 7-8 O'clock.

I couldn't believe my eyes when we went to look at the target. One proud grandfather!! Three shots touching and one just out. The rifle wasn't sighted in for that ammo at the distance, but they used the white circle as the aim point. Two beauties and they can SHOOT!

JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8310041.jpg (124.7 KB, 43 views)
Old August 31, 2014, 07:50 AM   #2
taylorce1

Girls usually take instructions far better than boys, this allows them to progress very quickly. I know my daughter did especially when we got her some professional instruction. Looks like everyone had a great day especially grandpa.
Old August 31, 2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Shotgun Slim

Man,Picher I envy you. My 2 granddaughters are a bit young yet,so I'm motivated to take care of myself so I can last long enough to show them the joys of shooting. I taught my daughter and it's true that girls pay attention and better apply what they are taught (in general) than boys. She took to trapshooting as her favorite and my alltime best memories are of tournaments we shot together. I know you were loving every minute,but good on you for taking the girls.
Old August 31, 2014, 02:25 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

Good for you Picher,,,

I only wish I had grandkids to teach.

I love reading these stories.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)