The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 03:46 PM   #51
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45
As for people saying don't drink coffee before you shoot, I often drink coffee before and during some of my shooting sessions and see no ill effects compared to when I don't drink any.
I'm a regular coffee drinker and did nothing to change my routine when I made this video. Sticking to your normal routine is likely the best route. Sudden abstinence from coffee would likely affect your shooting as bad as too much coffee would.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:13 PM   #52
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Hold the phone. your saying you don;t drink coffee before you shoot. Are you a commie or just a nut case.
i thin my worst habit was not listenung
I thin your worst habit was not listenung in school. (sic)

And for everyone else, caffeine from one cup of coffee is out of your system in 3 hours. If you drink only one cup a day, like I do, drinking it just before shooting is a stupid mistake. If you drink it all day long everyday, NOT drinking it before a shoot would be a stupid mistake.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:34 PM   #53
dfsixstring

Not a "problem" I have but a practice. I see people load a mag full and just blow through 15 rounds in a flash. My range rule for me and my son is to load only 5 rounds per mag. We methodically go through ammo, taking time to both enjoy the outing and improve skills.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
Old October 9, 2012, 12:22 PM   #54
StainlessSteel215

Good point Stevie but I'm not quite sure what would be worse in a situation where you are gun handling:

-being tired, unfocused and risking making a common sense mistake because you werent alert and handling properly.

or....

-being so wired up on caffeine that you are over-stimulated and accidentally jerk a trigger or whatever else might happen when you are jittery and going turbo speed. Plus I feel THIS would drastically alter your accuracy versus being tired.

When I hit the range, I try to be right in the middle!
Old October 9, 2012, 12:29 PM   #55
Venom1956

I've been chided numerous times from two good friends and handgun trainers that I lower my gun to check the target while I shoot. A habit I picked up when I was young and is proving very hard to shake. I don't do it every time but they claim I'll be able to shoot faster and more accurately if I didn't have that little tick.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 9, 2012, 02:10 PM   #56
jasmith85

I have always had issues with not being able to lean forward in my shooting stance. I blame it on being overweight but it just seems so unnatural when I lean forward a little while shooting. Even when I think about it and lean forward when I start shooting I'm standing straight up again withing 4 or 5 shots.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:23 PM   #57
Rick F

Quote:
I have always had issues with not being able to lean forward in my shooting stance. I blame it on being overweight but it just seems so unnatural when I lean forward a little while shooting. Even when I think about it and lean forward when I start shooting I'm standing straight up again withing 4 or 5 shots.
Same for me. I'm also 6'4, so I have a high center of gravity + crappy balance. Leaning forward seems unnatural.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:54 PM   #58
bikerbill

Took a while for "keep the muzzle pointed downrange at all times" to sink in .. fortunately, my elders and betters pointed out the error of my ways, loud enough to be heard over the gunfire and through my ears ...
Old October 10, 2012, 12:43 PM   #59
iblong

Mine was learning that some things should not be shot at close range with a pistole,My first hand gun was a single 6 22lr/mag.
I was shooting at a old tin stove back of the farm ,was not problem untill I tried to cut the latch off at about 10yds.Thought I killed my self,The 22mag hollow point fraged and hit me in the neck.turned out the latch wasn't tin.
Reached up to check the sting and got a hand full of blood,scared the crap out of me.It was only 2 3" long scratches but for a few seconds there I thought I was done.that was 40yrs ago and Im a bit more carefull these day's.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:53 PM   #60
NO-BODY

The best practice you can do is with a revolver. Shoot it in single action with two empty cases mixed with live ammo. When you drop the hammer on an empty, bet you wiggle that gun all over the place.....flinch much???? The idea is to stop moving the gun because of recoil. This, if done without you knowing the empties are in there, will shock you when you shove the barrel out and down, way off target.