The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 23, 2000, 11:30 AM   #1
Jack Straw

I have a Rossi 92 that I love shooting other than the fact that it has about 2 feet of creep in the trigger. I have noticed this on every other lever gun that I have fired. Is that much creep "built in" a lever action, or can it be taken out?

Thanks

Jack
Old August 23, 2000, 11:55 AM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Hmmm. I had a Rossi 92 (in .357 mag) and liked it. Later sold it. It had virtually no creep, out of the box. A competent gunsmith should be able to fix that for you relatively cheaply.
Old August 24, 2000, 06:58 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jack, do you mean creep or take-up? Creep is that gritty feeling movement after the slack is taken up and before the hammer falls. Take-up is the "loose" trigger or slack in the trigger before it actually begins to engage the sear/hammer. Creep can be eliminated by your gunsmith. It requires polishing the engagement surfaces. He may or may not be able to eliminate the take-up. He should be able to get rid of most of it though. George
Old August 24, 2000, 07:30 AM   #4
Jack Straw

George,

Its definitely gritty feeling. After thinking about your question, I figure that it was take-up that I noticed in other guns (primarily Marlin 336 models). Thanks for the clarification.

Jack
Old August 25, 2000, 12:44 AM   #5
JayDrummond

Hate to harp, but trigger work can get dangerous. I've seen too many triggers that were "tuned" to the point of being unreliable. Never hurts to get an estimate from a smith. Smiths usually back up their work.
Old August 27, 2000, 06:39 AM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I had a Rossi that had the same problems. Trigger job was about $40 and cured the problem. Wife took it when she left. The rifle was very decent - rolling cans at 50 (+) yards was no challenge.

If you know some CASS folks, they probably have a handle on local smiths that do good work on lever guns.

Giz