The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 18, 2009, 01:25 AM   #51
MLeake

One handed

If you are going to carry with an empty chamber, and you don't assume that you will always have both hands immediately available in time of need (injury; carrying something you can't just drop, like a small child; partial immobilization by bad guy who caught you off guard; a number of things could take away use of one of your hands, if only temporarily) then you should learn how to chamber a round with one hand, as a backup to Israeli method or whatever other draw-and-chamber method you learn for two hands.

With a G36, this will involve hooking the rear sights on some surface, and pressing the pistol forward. The surface could be the heel or sole of a shoe, the edge of a belt, the edge of a table - pretty much anything that will have enough edge to grab on the sights, and enough rigidity to not simply bend or break around them.

FWIW, I sometimes have to carry condition 3 in military applications. However, personal CCW a round is always chambered.

On another note, I saw an interesting Russian holster on a show the other night; it wraps around the slide of the pistol and grasps it under tension. The pistol is not fully encased. The shooter grasps the grip, and shoves the pistol straight down. The holster has enough tension to hold the slide back as the pistol is drawn, so that when it finally releases the slide comes forward and chambers a round. Apparently, this is what the Spetznaz use for the Makarov. I don't know if there is anything similar available for the Glock.

Cheers,
M
Old May 18, 2009, 06:52 PM   #52
glock06

The idea of cocking the weapon by hanging the rear sight and pushing down appeals to me--

It is always better to have the ability to one hand a weapon due to the reasons you specified. Your other extremity may be injured or useless.

Thanks much for the ideas!! I will practice racking the slide one handed off my belt or pocket. The clipdraw would even help off a pocket. A man's gotta have options!!!
Old May 19, 2009, 11:39 AM   #53
Housezealot

I know this is stricly "piece of mind" but the grip safety (sorry if thats the wrong term) on my XD makes me feel a lot better than carrying a striker operated weapon without one around my kids. just my .02 cents though
Old May 19, 2009, 04:52 PM   #54
KChen986

I occasionally carry my 1911 in my cargo pocket, as a result, if someone's sitting across from me, I'm uncomfortable with a hot weapon pointing in their direction.

To put it another way, being trained all these years in muzzle discipline, it's uncomfortable to have a weapon in condition 1 pointing at a friend. Hence, I'm more comfortable with cond. 3 carry.

Definitely lose the advantage of speed though...

I'd surmise that it'd be better to evaluate your surroundings as you see fit and carry accordingly. Where i'm carrying is relatively safe, so I do not worry about having to immediately have a weapon ready (maybe it's not a good judgment call on my part so, YMMV)
Old May 19, 2009, 11:48 PM   #55
eriadoc

Have you considered carrying a revolver? There's no slide to worry about and failure drills consist of pulling the trigger again.
Old May 20, 2009, 10:44 AM   #56
David Armstrong

Quote:
I'd surmise that it'd be better to evaluate your surroundings as you see fit and carry accordingly. Where i'm carrying is relatively safe, so I do not worry about having to immediately have a weapon ready (maybe it's not a good judgment call on my part so, YMMV)
There is the key to it. What is your situation, what are your concerns and issues, those define what carry mode is most advantageous to you.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:11 AM   #57
glock06

I occasionally carry a 5 shot revolver when the environment is "safer" and folks congregate.An example would be church,etc. Do I ever NOT carry in these places? Nope--

Probably bad logic and rationalization but this is the way I justify a firearm with a low round count and limited distance capabilities. Contrare if I am out in crowds or around public cash businesses I carry the Glock with an extra mag.

Be my luck if THSHTF I will not have the Glock. But that's the risk you take--
Old May 20, 2009, 11:48 AM   #58
armsmaster270

I ALWAYS carry a Sig 226 (no safety) and a S&W 340PD as a BUG wherever I go even to the commissary and PX. My guns are always loaded as were my fathers, I have 3 children who grew up without bullet holes in them or their surroundings and know how to respect firearms and how to handle them.

Last edited by armsmaster270; May 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:46 PM   #59
NavyLT

Quote:
I ALWAYS carry a Sig 226 (no safety) and a S&W 340PD as a BUG wherever I go even to the commissary and PX.
I still wonder why people are so willing to admit to committing felonies on the internet. Oh well.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:56 PM   #60
David Armstrong

Quote:
I still wonder why people are so willing to admit to committing felonies on the internet. Oh well.
Yep, makes it awfully hard to talk about honest, law-abiding gun owners when so many regularly say they are not honest or law-abiding.
Old May 20, 2009, 03:35 PM   #61
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong
Yep, makes it awfully hard to talk about honest, law-abiding gun owners when so many regularly say they are not honest or law-abiding.
Dave,

I respectfully must disagree with you. He was honest. He was honest about not being law abiding
Old May 20, 2009, 04:44 PM   #62
MLeake

Not necessarily illegal

You know, I have friends who carry their sidearms on Fort Bragg all the time. They are Fayetteville police officers, and are authorized by the base to do so. Just saying, armsmaster270 may not be talking about felonies at all.

Of course, there are decent odds that he is. But he might actually be ok to carry on base. Some people are.