The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 18, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Topher127

My ar15?

After reading several posts, and a trip to the gun show today, I've decided I want to build my first ar15. I like the option of knowing it inside and out, and being able to customize it my way.

Now that that's out of the way, where do I go now? This will be my first ar15. It's primarily going to be a range toy and home defense. Best reason, because I want one!

Some of the suggestions I've already been given:
-A multi-caliber lower (either complete or stripped)
-Complete upper, I can probably handle building the lower, the upper might be beyond my ability, or at least beyond my confidence level.
-barrel with a 1/7 twist

Any suggestions are welcome. Many thanks to the gun gurus out there !
Old August 18, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
cookie5

Double post

Last edited by cookie5; August 18, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:21 PM   #3
cookie5

I would suggest you buy complete BCM upper and bolt or a Daniel Defense upper and bolt. As they are by far the best on the market quality wise. Read their web sites and find out why . Then Palmetto State Armory is better than the rest especially their premium line. Their lower parts kit is really high quality .Don't gamble with gun show parts or any AR assembly.
Old August 18, 2013, 11:13 PM   #4
FALPhil

Gee, Cookie, all someone has to do is tell a good story on their website and that makes them the best?

C'mon, man. I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night. BCM puts out a good product, but they are demonstrably no better than several other vendors in the same price range.

You need to get out more and stay off of ar15.com for about a year.
Old August 18, 2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Southside830

Palmetto State Armory has the best deals going right now. Check em out.
Old August 19, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Quentin2

T127, you have a good plan so far. And Cookie5 gave good advice. Your own lower topped with a BCM or Daniel Defense upper is a darn good way to go. Or if you're on a budget, a PSA upper is a lot of bang for the buck. I have all three uppers on lowers I put together and all function well. The PSA plus my lower, an MBUS2, a PMAG and sling came in around $700 last year - definitely mucho bang for the buck!

I would suggest a 16" midlength LW/pencil barrel over the M4 profile stretched to 16".
Old August 21, 2013, 11:43 AM   #7
ChrisTx

Any decent parts will be fine. I'm about done building out an Anderson lower on a PSA upper. I just need a barrel and then the furniture to come off backorder. I found the Andersons on sale for $75 shipped, so I grabbed another. The one I'm doing now is a carbine. The next will be rifle length.
Old August 21, 2013, 04:02 PM   #8
BillyJack3

Good thought process. The others have given pretty good advice. As far as the PSA lower parts kit, I've only built 2 lowers with them. One was fine and the other has a terribly gritty trigger. It's hit or miss. I'd say to get a LPK without a firing group and invest in a decent trigger. For the use you outlined, a Spike's Battle Trigger or ACT trigger would be fine without you breaking the bank. Both will give you a nice, consistent, smooth pull without having to roll the dice on a standard mil-spec trigger. If I were to do it all over again, that's how I would do it.

Get a standard, mil-spec lower. The "multi-caliber" stamp doesn't mean much. There are plenty out there for under $100. Just find a a roll mark you like from a reputable company.

And yes, getting a complete upper is a good start. Mine was a Spike's middie with a FA BCG. Do more research on others and best of luck to you!
Old August 21, 2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Mobuck

The caliber designation on the lower means absolutely nothing.
I like the QMS trigger but there are easier pulling triggers on the market albeit at a higher price.
I've assembled about 20 lowers w/o any problems or malfunctions BUT I've seen numerous lowers destroyed or ruined by a single hammer mis-strike and/or ham-handed over torqueing.

Tags
ar15 , build