The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2010, 11:25 AM   #26
rickyrick

Sorry, I'm still typing on a pocket pc. The red light will not spook them if it is on constantly?
Old April 7, 2010, 11:28 AM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ricky, I have snuck up to my traps and flicked on the light and even with a new light source, they continued feeding on the corn... Turned on the white and they scattered like cockroaches...

For gun hunting, I would set up with no light and when I hear activity, I would turn on the red with weapon already to engage...

If it is already on constant, I highly doubt they would stay away or be spooky. The spookiest thing to any wild animal is the instantly new stimuli. some may spook if the red light is turned on but in my experience, it rarely bothers hogs.

Brent
Old April 7, 2010, 11:39 AM   #28
rickyrick

cool,thanks again
Old April 7, 2010, 11:42 AM   #29
troy_mclure

we used to feed copperheads to our neighbors hogs. man you shoulda seen them stomp/trample them snakes before they chomped them.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 7, 2010, 12:46 PM   #30
TMUSCLE1

Thank hogs! That was awesome reading that post because the book clearly state that the hogs LIKED eating them! That is some cool stuff to know! Like you guys in Florida, here in SC I have seen some monster Eastern Diamondbacks and Canebreak rattlers. I guess that's why I don't see many snakes when I'm hunting when I know there are hogs roaming around.
Old April 7, 2010, 04:25 PM   #31
markj

Quote:
They seriously eat rattlesnakes?
Pigs will eat anything, each other if food gives out. My cousin has a hog farm, as a kid in the early 60s we went there and stayed to help out this time of the year, we moved the females and their offspring to summer pastures. My brother would grab a bab y and take off running, the sow would be hot on his heals after her piglet. He would get 1/2 way into the fenced pasture and let the piggy loose, running for the far side. That sow would chase him to that point. We would then move all the others.

We would catch bull snakes and toss em in to watch them eat it up. Never fall into the pen tho, you will be food for them.

I worked at the "Pig Palace" in Omaha stockyards years ago in Omaha, seen them eat things that the guys threw in there I sure wouldn't eat.