The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 28, 2014, 02:08 PM   #1
barnbwt

Anybody Reload 14.5x114?

I recently picked up a rusty KPV kit, and have dreams of getting it sewn back up into a (registered DD) belt-fed anti-tank rifle type of format, based on a S-18/100. I have enough of two demilled barrels to make a proper one (one has a slotted chamber, the other was torch cut several inches beyond the chamber) and all the parts needed to make this guy function (and will design/make those needed for semi-auto fire), but what of the ammo?

I see there's a single source out there for 14.5mm stuff (cdvs.us) out there, but I'd like to think the stuff can be reloaded for less than 30$ a shell. Or even more than that, but with a reliable supply. From what I gather, there is no source for brass (which would imply down-loading the pressures to the minimum necessary), it requires funky primers but can be bushed to take 50's, and bullets are 'out there' and can always be turned if needed.

But I've ready varying reports --or rumors, rather-- that the 14.5x114 requires powder even slower than a fifty-cal, which can't be found anywhere. I've also read 50-cal powder is fine, so go figure

Again, I'm not fixated on cost so much as reliability, since it's not like this would be anything but a special occasion rifle, but I'd also like to be able to shoot it once the sole-source of supply inevitably dries up.

Thoughts?

TCB