The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 28, 2014, 04:28 PM   #1
GM1967

S&W snubbie....cylinder arm comes off

I went to look at my S&W model 37 snub today, and after opening the action, could not close it. Mystified, I fiddled with it for a few seconds, and found the cylinder arm was able to slide forward on its axis right off the frame. I cleaned it a bit while it was out, then put it back in, and I was able to close the cylinder. However, every time I open it now, I have to close it very carefully or it does the same thing.

So....how are you supposed to remove the cylinder from the frame? What holds it in? I'm guessing something is broken or came loose inside.

The revolver is a S&W Model 37 made in about 1959-1960. Is this something I can fix myself, or will it need to go to a gunsmith?
Old November 28, 2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Clark

Sounds like you have a screw loose.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 28, 2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Clark

I made a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smith screw.jpg (64.6 KB, 85 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 28, 2014, 04:52 PM   #4
GM1967

Thanks, that screw was indeed slightly loose....wasn't noticeable until I took a screwdriver to it. Tightened it up and it seems to have fixed the problem.
Old December 1, 2014, 02:44 AM   #5
Sevens

Awesome.

If you didn't laugh at the picture, you're dead inside.
Old December 3, 2014, 12:42 PM   #6
RKG

I'd take a look at that screw. From the factory, it has a section at the nose on which the threads have been milled off. This section fits into a groove on the yoke barrel -- without bottoming in that groove.

A proper screw will still retain the yoke barrel, even when loose. If a small amount of tightening results in a change from unrestrained to restrained, I suspect someone has replaced the screw with an improper one.
Old December 4, 2014, 01:31 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yet another change to the new S&W's is the use of a screw that does not require any filing or special orientation to properly retain the yoke.

Jim
Old December 4, 2014, 06:08 AM   #8
Old Stony

Not unusual to find the screws have been put into the wrong places when someone disassembles the revolver. Just make sure the proper screw with no threads on the end is in that position.
Old December 6, 2014, 11:01 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

At different times, S&W used different screw setups. In the four screw sideplate, the top one was unique, with a large head. The bottom one had an unthreated tip. The front one was the same, but with one side of the tip filed flat to fit into the yoke spindle and retain the yoke. The rear one in the older guns was the same as the bottom screw, and the "Magna" stock was drilled out for the rounded head; later the screw was shortened and the head flattened to fit under the stock without drilling the stock.

In the current setup, the front screw uses a conical insert and a small spring. with the yoke spindle a triangular groove. That idea (shamelessly borrowed from Colt, maybe with permission) obviates the need for special fitting of the front screw and eliminates wear on the spindle.

Jim
Old December 6, 2014, 11:18 PM   #10
Sevens

Your knowledge base of screws rivals that of Dr. Ruth!
Old December 6, 2014, 11:25 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The other kind is more fun.

Jim