The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 18, 2012, 09:07 AM   #26
Patriot86

Doomsday Preppers is supposed to be on Nat Geo tonight, will see if it actually happens...
Old December 18, 2012, 09:12 AM   #27
Stressfire

Quote:
how they could cancel a show that shows lawful use of firearms when "moonshiners" shows a criminal armned with an AR-15 while committing criminal acts.
The answer might be in your question. Obviously only criminals need or use this type of rifle
Old December 18, 2012, 09:25 AM   #28
Rifleman1952

We are now entering uncharted waters for America. Look for all of the gun shows (Top Shot, Sons of Guns etc.) to be cancelled, or contracts not renewed, over the next few months. There is an anti-gun tsunami heading our way. Some of my friends say it will pass...nothing to worry about. I don't think so. The number of politicians who were once in our corner, but now calling for "reasonable gun control" seems to be growing. We are likely to see a large number of "documentaries" on TV, in the coming weeks and months, showing how guns are the cause of all evil and gun bans the only way to protect our children. The media feeding frenzy has only just begun.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:36 AM   #29
KMAX

“Sadly your program makes buying/owning guns seem fun, glamorous, even normal” and “With Discovery shows like 'Sons of Guns', 'American Guns', 'Ted Nugent's Gun Country' etc it's not surprising how guns r seen as acceptable.” There is also some discussion in Hollywood related to some upcoming violent films and how to precede with releases and promotions.

What bothers me is that there are so many people that think like this ^. Victims awaiting their turn obliviously. Kumbaya.

BTW, I didn't like American Guns.

I've deleted crude remarks - GEM

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; December 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Rude language
Old December 18, 2012, 10:20 AM   #30
jasmith85

Quote:
Doomsday Preppers is supposed to be on Nat Geo tonight, will see if it actually happens...
I don't see Doomsday Preppers being pulled any time soon. I'm not the only person addicted to watching idiots play Armageddon. Doomsday Preppers is Nat Geo's top rated show and they're not going to give up that much revenue to be politically correct. Its a business and as businesses prove time and time again, money is worth more than image to them.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:28 AM   #31
Ruthless4christ

I liked the show, and Have actually been to the gunshop and got to meet Rich, (an awesome guy). I liked the show much better than Sons of Guns, because it actually focuses on gunsmithing instead of shooting exploding targets. Since Discovery ahs not announced cancelling Sons of Guns (at least not to my knowledge) I am assuming the public just wanted to see more exploding zombie targets.

Last edited by Ruthless4christ; December 18, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:51 AM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

Folks - I have been seeing rather crude langauge. This is a family site - cease and decease or penalties will follow.

GEM
Old December 18, 2012, 12:54 PM   #33
KMAX

Please forgive my crude remark. Just don't have a very high opinion of Rich or several other characters on these types of shows. Also there seemsto be too much drama on some of these shows, not only the gun shows, but motorcycle and survival type shows. That is why I rarely watch reality tv. If I want reality I am not going to watch tv for it. I watch tv to get away from reality.

Exploding targets are more exciting than technical details to most people.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; December 18, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:53 AM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

Please note:

We have just finished an election cycle, and ALL politicians are basically safe for the next 2 years, and many for the next 4.

Now they can trot out their own agendas, the ones they had to keep to themselves in order to get (re)elected. I'm actually surprised it took an entire month for a "suitable" reason to occur.

Also note, from what, the day after the Conn mass murders of children that the media was running banners about how this was the "tipping point" for gun control and how now we can get something done, etc...

The programming on our tvs is there for one reason, and only one reason, to make money. If they can advance a cause or agenda while making money, they will. But unless someone is bankrolling an agenda driven show, if it doesn't make money, or even looks like they may lose sponsors from their network because of a show in the lineup, its gone. And yes, there is a HUGE double standard at work.
Old December 19, 2012, 01:44 PM   #35
PT-92

As others have mentioned, I wonder if "Sons of Guns" will be back ...? Heck, Netflix streams the stuff...

Moreover, where's the Congressional or Anti-2A outcry against Gun Violence in Hollywood?

Seems hypocritical to say the least...?
Old December 19, 2012, 02:46 PM   #36
JNS10

Amish Mafia is just dramatic reenactments of stuff that supposedly happened.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #37
No1der

Never watched the show but if Discovery made a business decision to cancel the show then I don't think it can be classified as censorship.

I mean it's Discoveries money that is being spent on the show, it is Discoveries contracts that are made with the specific shop owners and in the end it's Discovery Channels call what they think is good or bad for their business or even conscience.

I don't have strong feelings about this development one way or the other but I don't think this falls anywhere near the category of censorship. Bowing to pressure from viewers is still not censorship as Discovery can continue to air any shows it wants as is within their First Amendment rights but if it looses them viewers (viewers exercising their rights) I find it to be a stretch to call that Censorship.

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems to be the issue in a nutshell.

Edit: Correction, I have seen the show a hand full of times and forgot about it. Didn't think much of it but then again I don't watch a lot of TV.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:39 PM   #38
rickyrick

We just might have to suck it up and ride this one out. Portray responsible gun owner appearance whenever possible. At this moment, we are all "gun nuts". Looks like some, if not all, of us are going to make some concessions.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:47 PM   #39
Glenn E. Meyer

I cautioned against crude postings.

Closed.