The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2009, 01:54 PM   #26
Jimdo

Personally, I really like the Guerini guns. These guns offer Perazzi quality for less than half the price (generally speaking).
Hard to go wrong with that.
Old September 2, 2009, 03:40 PM   #27
Waterengineer

Jimdo says:

Personally, I really like the Guerini guns. These guns offer Perazzi quality for less than half the price (generally speaking).

Reply:

Hmmm. Would you like to expound on your comment? I and several others here would probably like to better understand your comment before it get torn apart. I'm no great fan of Perazzi - but you did make a rather inflamatory comment without backing it up much. I'm not pointing the finger but you do only have 11 posts. FYI - the crowd around here can come down on you pretty hard for making a controversial comment then not backing it up.
Old September 2, 2009, 04:17 PM   #28
oneounceload

I've only shot them. They appear to utilize the same "Boss" action, so, IMO, that's a good thing. However, I do not believe they put the same effort in their barrels that Perazzi does. That is one thing Perazzi does very well; so well, you can order your gun with different weights and it will still come nicely balanced.

One thing showing up on another forum are supposed reports on the guns having kaboom issues. I have NO confirmation of that. They DO have exceptional customer service from everyone at my club that I have talked to that has one. If Perazzi/Kreighoff/Kolar is out of the price range, I would put them on the next-tier list with Blaser and Zoli

JMO, YMMV

Last edited by oneounceload; September 2, 2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Jim caught my ten thumbs!.....
Old September 2, 2009, 04:39 PM   #29
BigJimP

"Krieghoss" - now that's rude ..... .... poor old German guys are just trying to make a living too ..
Old September 2, 2009, 05:40 PM   #30
oneounceload

Fixed it for ya!.....Was actually thinking about the "pig on a shovel" comparison so often associated with them............
Old September 2, 2009, 06:21 PM   #31
BigJimP

See - now that wasn't so hard .....

but there you go again, with a pig on the shovel routine again - and I keep trying to be nice ...and you drag me back into the muck ....
Old September 2, 2009, 06:57 PM   #32
Waterengineer

BigJim:

Did you catch that Heir Krieghoff passed? There is a big announcement on the other web forum.

Look Here:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=110&t=189344

The point is you might try to do something about your jones sooner than later because there is no word on what the company is doing, if anything.
Old September 2, 2009, 07:04 PM   #33
BigJimP

I had not heard that - thanks .....
Old September 2, 2009, 07:33 PM   #34
oneounceload

Now, Jim - the pig on a shovel is a critique I heard from a well-known gun writer shooting acquaintance.....I just find them heavy - like a Kolar - which, if you're just standing there shooting skeet or trap is doable - no gunbearer needed. If you're shooting sporting, and walking, then you might as well tote a boat anchor................(J/K)

For the money, you really should look at Kolar - with their carrier barrel system and renowned tube sets, you can't go wrong
Old September 2, 2009, 09:18 PM   #35
Dead Eye

Alright guys. Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I found this forum.

Update--I shot a similar Beretta and Browning on Monday (I ruled the CG out on price). I shot both guns well but was powdering the targets with the Beretta and only cliping them with the Browning. The guy I was shooting with is a Browning die hard and he felt like the Beretta fit me better. I went dove hunting yesterday and I think I made the right choice. I'm so glad I spent the money to have a nice o/u.

Okay...Now I need some choke tube advice. I have bought several choke tubes for my hunting shotguns over the years. I shoot a Kicks high flyer in my SBE for ducks and a Briley Extended tube for Turkeys. At long distances I found that these chokes made a noticable difference. I want to buy a pair of skeet chokes for my new gun. Do you find the extended chokes really pattern better than flush chokes for skeet? What choke tubes would you reccomend? I don't want buy two $100 tubes if a $30 tube will hold the same pattern.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:27 PM   #36
oneounceload

Glad that Beretta works well for you. First thing - did it come with chokes labeled with the constrictions you want? I say labeled, because what they say and what they do MAY be different. Take the loads you will use and test the chokes on the pattern board. IF you get the correct patterns you want, then no need to buy after market chokes. If you're not getting them, then you have many choices - among the best ones are Briley, Tru-lock, Seminole, Rhino. They aren't necessarily the cheapest, but if you're only buying a few, it's worth it. When I bought some Brileys for one of my Brownings, they ran a special, buy 5 get a 6th free - that was years ago, but some of these folks might be doing something similar in this economy.........

Now, buy some ammo, then buy some more. Maybe a lesson or two, a reloader.....next thing you know you'll be adding a 28 gauge.......and another reloader......and on and on....(don't ask me how I know!)
Old September 2, 2009, 09:58 PM   #37
Dead Eye

Thanks oneounce!

It came with 2 CYL, 1 IC, 1 M, and 1 IM stand flush chokes and 2 browning midas extended in M and IC. I don't have any SKT chokes. I would typically just shoot the CYL (what I do in my autos) but I want to get this one right the first time. I hate to buy two cheap flush chokes and find out the extended throw a much more uniform pattern. I know every gun/ammo combo patterns different but if someone has the same gun and has tested several tube/ammo combo that would save me some time and money.
Old September 2, 2009, 10:05 PM   #38
oneounceload

Do the Browning chokes fit your Beretta????? Doesn't sound right - make sure before you try to put them in or you can cause cross-threading - very bad.......

C/IC will work for skeet, but if you are going to do serious stuff, getting some skeet specific can be easily done.

Again, try them all on the pattern board to see what densities you get - they may be just fine. If not, plenty of good ones to choose from.

Also, if you are going to shoot registered, and all 4 gauges, subgauge tubes will be on your future. BigJim may have more experience with them. Friends I shoot with like Brileys, love Kolar's.....set of three can run you the price of your gun, but then, it does give you basically 4 guns........
Old September 2, 2009, 10:27 PM   #39
JWT

Browning tubes don't fit a Beretta. Briley has chokes for both and they're different.
Old September 2, 2009, 10:44 PM   #40
Dead Eye

The chokes are made by Browing for a Beretta. THey Say "Beretta-MOD and Beretta-IC right on the choke. I thought the same thing at first.

Last edited by Dead Eye; September 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old September 3, 2009, 06:20 AM   #41
Waterengineer

One Oz:

I use to run (and still have) Briley chokes for one gun. Since moving to FL, one of the guys at the range turned me on to Seminole chokes. I run them in a 525 and a Benelli SS. Cheaper and seem to be working well with the loads I shoot.

However, they definitely pattern differently than the Brileys - that is the point of the story.
Old September 3, 2009, 07:54 AM   #42
oneounceload

Have heard nothing but good things about Seminole, but have no personal experience. I live near Rhino , who's in Williston. Decent sporting course, well-machined chokes and mini-tubes. Little pricey, but that's just the owner......
Old September 3, 2009, 09:01 AM   #43
Waterengineer

One Oz:

I have been meaning to get to Williston to try that track. Can you comment?
Old September 3, 2009, 09:18 AM   #44
oneounceload

Set in some live oaks, 14 stations, uses several raised platforms, so if stairs are hard for you, can be a PITA. WHEN he has all of his machines working (another major GRRRR), things go nice, because he has some varied terrain. It looks to me like parts of his property used to have some limerock mining done on it. Bud Wolfe came up from Markham Park to set this up, and I shoot with him on many occasions there. We have a group that shoots every third Friday at a discounted rate (The 18th being the next time). If you're coming this way, you will also want to go a little further north and go to Bradford. Pat there does a wonderful job - has two courses, fully automated, (plus pistols and rifle out to 600 yards). He hosted the state the last two years and the machines ALWAYS work. he also has two 5-stand layouts
Old September 3, 2009, 12:53 PM   #45
BigJimP

Since you went with the Beretta - I would probably opt for Briley extended chokes - but any of the big name companies are good too ( Seminole, etc ).

I like the extended chokes - easier to see what is in the gun / and I like the look. Are they "better" - not convinced of that in terms of how they pattern / but a little easier to screw in and out ...

It depends on the constriction reading from your barrel to the choke - but for Skeet - I usually shoot 2 Skeet chokes in all of my Brownings / in my Benelli semi-auto I shoot a CYL. You have to use a bore gague / or go to the pattern board to see what you're getting with each choke / and check it in both barrels ( sometimes they're different )...
Old September 3, 2009, 03:55 PM   #46
oneounceload

As Jim alluded to, the main advantage of the extended chokes is the ability to immediately see, (WITHOUT looking down the barrel), what chokes you have in it and it's easier to change if needed. Typically, on a skeet or trap field, you will not be changing, and rarely on a 5-stand will it be allowed once you've started shooting. Sporting cl;ays is different since every station is unlike the previous one. That is NOT to say you need to change them at every station. 95% of the time, if you start with a SK or IC in one tube and an IC or LM in the other, you won't have to change them. Better to leave them aklone and focus on the bird instead of the choke. However, that being said, courses around here like to throw a station of two :"in your face" - targets at 15 yards or so, followed by a few "separator" ones at 50-60 yards or so. Obviously in the first one, Sk/SK is in and in the second LM or M is in both; those are the exceptions.

Have a great time getting to know your new gun and let us know how you do once you get addicted to the most fun of the shooting sports!
Old September 3, 2009, 06:46 PM   #47
BigJimP

The NSSA rules for 5 stand allow you to change your chokes - at every shooting station - but oneounce is right, you cannot change them after you call for your first target on that station - and the rule is the same in sporting clays.

Personally, I subscribe to the idea that you should change your chokes for every station / if you need to - with the idea you should put a 30" pattern on the bird at the kill range. But OneOunce is right - 90% of the time I will shoot a combination of IC / Mod in an O/U - or just IC in a semi-auto / and I may alter my shells a little to change the effective pattern a little .
Old September 3, 2009, 06:58 PM   #48
oneounceload

And as BigJim said......put in the choke, leave it alone....change shells as necessary.....many folks I know use 8-1/2 and 7-1/2.....depending on the situation...
Old October 6, 2009, 12:27 AM   #49
abuyalos

I am a strong proponent of the Browning O/U shotgun. I have 3 myself and will continue to buy. I have never been that impressed with any of Beretta's O/U's. I have known people to have problems with them. That said, Guerini makes a wonderful shotgun, and I suggest everyone get one and try it out. Guerini makes a $10,000 shotgun for $3,000.
Old October 6, 2009, 06:23 AM   #50
LanceOregon

Quote:
I am a strong proponent of the Browning O/U shotgun. I have 3 myself and will continue to buy. I have never been that impressed with any of Beretta's O/U's. I have known people to have problems with them.

That said, Guerini makes a wonderful shotgun, and I suggest everyone get one and try it out. Guerini makes a $10,000 shotgun for $3,000.

So you recommend that everyone do something that you yourself have not even bothered to do?

That is not at all a compelling argument to me.

--