The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 24, 2015, 05:16 PM   #26
mariner3302

If the locks were made prior to the late 1800's wouldn't each part have slight variances being made by hand? Here is a picture of both locks side by side. I have never seen a real old fashioned lock as my black powder collection is all replica pistols. This was the first long gun. I certainly learned a big lesson in what to look for. I am kind of wary now, unfortunately...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/byp6jomwaw...52.24.jpg?dl=0
Old September 24, 2015, 11:16 PM   #27
RJay

To me they appear to have been made on modern machines. They had developed standardization by the late 1800's and Machine made screws were common. however, I don't believe those locks were made on 19th century machine's. Perhaps I'm in error, but it would raise the hackles on the back of my neck.
Old September 25, 2015, 01:54 AM   #28
gyvel

Is there any chance it is a Khyber Pass type gun?
SIFE
Old September 25, 2015, 02:35 AM   #29
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the rifle was made after interchangeable parts came about, or at least some of it was. This was made when they had duplication machines, as you can tell there's not as much filing on the hand made parts of the sideplates.

It makes me wonder if that isn't an older barrel set placed on a newer stock, with newer sideplates, and was never finished, if the nipple holes were never drilled.
Old September 25, 2015, 07:05 AM   #30
mariner3302

I wondered the same thing as to whether it could have been an old barrel assembly on a newer stock set. That was the first thought once I got it home but now that I got the breech plugs out I believe it to be a 20th century replica with intentionally antiqued barrels. The breech threads were identical and the breech plug threads the same. It was so crisp and identical that it looked very modern. I sent it back for a refund since the tag on it when I bought it said it was a mid 1800s gun from South Africa. It was a nice piece to be sure and if I wanted a wall hanger it would have been a nice one but I bought a gun, not a replica.. or so I thought. The manager of the store said the seller bought a lot of guns on the internet and at shows, etc so he most likely never knew this wasn't a real gun.