The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 8, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
NCFlyGuy

Finally got an M1 Carbine

So, I've loved the M1 Carbine for as long as I can remember...and really fell in love with it when I had a roommate who had one around 1995. Over the past few months I've been looking seriously with the intent of buying one...looked at a lot of online auctions but never felt comfortable enough with buying something that old sight-unseen for that kind of money. I fondled a new manufacture AO Carbine, and loved it, but read poor reviews and it just doesn't have that mystique that a history buff like myself is looking for.

So last week I placed an ad in my local 'trader' paper, seeking a GI Carbine. Well I got a call the day it ran from an old gentleman with one to sell...I went by this afternoon to look at it...

Inland reciever, 6318xxx s/n, RockOla barrel (no date), no markings at all on the stock, so I assume a replacement. No import markings on the barrel, only the Rock Ola stamp. It shoots an feeds nicely, has a nice shiny barrel, and feels nice. The owner had bought it around 20 years ago and shot it very occasionally. He said the only thing not the same as the day he bought it was the aftermarket sling. He's now in his 80s and his only son has a felony conviction so he cant give it to him. He wanted to get $500 out of it...so I gave it a good home...

Sorry there isn't a pic, but I'm having camera issues...I'll try later.

Whaddya think, a good deal?
Old August 8, 2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

Sounds nice to me! $500 is a good price for a solid rifle. Post pictures if you can.

TK
Old August 9, 2011, 01:56 AM   #3
NCFlyGuy

Here ya go...more tomorrow I hope...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0905.jpg (234.7 KB, 165 views)
Old August 9, 2011, 06:46 AM   #4
2damnold4this

Nice
Old August 9, 2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Dino.

Nice gun.
Congrats!
Old August 9, 2011, 07:50 AM   #6
chasep255

I would really like one like that but NJ crushed my dreams of owning one.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:21 AM   #7
kraigwy

You got a good buy since the CMP ran out of M1 Carbines (except for some high priced auction pieces).

Mine is one of the most fun guns to shoot I have.

You need to check out the CMP GSM Carbine Matches, let the gun show you what its capable of.

Join and participate in these forums, you'll get all the information you can possibly get from these people.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Check out the CMP sales for accessarys for your carbine. Good USGI Mags, ammo, bayonets, etc. (got to have a bayonet to go with your rifle, its the law).

Enjoy.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 9, 2011, 08:27 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Nice Inland, and a good price to boot. I really enjoy just plinking with my Carbines. I wish ammo was cheaper or I had more time to reload.

The paratrooper model was ahead of its time. The original assault rifle.

Old August 9, 2011, 09:19 AM   #9
NCFlyGuy

Thanks for the replies guys. Kraig, I've already been working on an accessory wish list from CMP! I'd hate to run afoul of the law by not having a bayonet for my new toy!
Old August 9, 2011, 08:38 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

Nice, no doubt. Now, right away, pick up an original sling, stock pouch, belt pouches, oiler, and a bayonet, along with about 10 magazines. You will be terribly unhappy until you do.

Don't forget to pick up 500 rounds and stash it away for later.
Old August 9, 2011, 10:39 PM   #11
NCFlyGuy

Ordered a sling, oiler, stock pouch, and 4 mags today!
Old August 9, 2011, 10:55 PM   #12
NCFlyGuy

Few more pics today...sorry, the girlfriend currently has the Digital SLR so these are from the iPhone

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old August 10, 2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Chris_B

Looks like a nice honest carbine. They are a real fun little rifle. M2 stock. Nothing wrong with them, good shooting stocks if you ask me. Inland, round bolt. Arsenal rebuild but they 99% of them are, like my own Inland M1 carbine.
Old August 11, 2011, 12:30 AM   #14
Ignition Override

I'm happy for you, because I bought a brand-new imitation Carbine from AO in October, '07.

It was a very negligent but educational decision, having read nothing about them, and did not yet have any gun buddies (hard to believe,
but a very late hobby in life). This was my First gun purchase.

After about 150 rds, the bolt suddenly felt wrong, with a bit of binding. Trying to make it operate easier, it was now totally jammed.
My wife could not believe that the gun store would not offer to refund the money for a $750 product.
The gun smith would not touch it, and the factory did a free repair.

Lots of guys talk about "commie crap", but my SKS has a 'stovebolt' now and then (never cleaned the gas port).
My brand-new US-made rifle WAS crap, and had been treated gently, no drops or dirt inside etc.
The bolt never felt as rugged as those on the GI versions.

Despite the thick front post sights on my older Mini 14 and 30, that AO gun could never be compared to my Minis and "Commie" SKS.

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 11, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old August 11, 2011, 08:00 PM   #15
tpelle

Nice looking carbine! From what I can tell from the pics it has a few later-model parts on it - nothing wrong with that as it most likely went through one or more arsenal rebuilds in its military career. For instance, I see a round bolt as opposed to the earlier flat bolt, and a 4-rivet handguard. The rear sight is a later model as well, as the original carbines has a two-position L-shaped sight with no windage adjustment.

You can buy new Korean magazines fairly inexpensively, and they work great. The CMP also sells used G.I. mags that seem to work fine, but may have some surface wear and possibly a little corrosion on them. Gives 'em character, though.

I advise you to stay away from the Mexican Aquila ammo (sold by the CMP). It's weak and dirty. My son and I have 3 G.I. carbines between us, and all three malfunction with Aquila but shoot everything else just fine. I'm convinced that if we ever go to war with Mexico we'll have to spot 'em the ammo just to make it a fair fight!
Old August 12, 2011, 12:48 AM   #16
NCFlyGuy

Thanks for the input Tpelle...from what I can find on the interwebs your assessment of the rifle seems pretty accurate, and for what I paid I'm happy with that. I ordered a couple of Korean mags yesterday, and picked up a couple of boxes of Federal ammo today, hopefully to play with over the weekend. So far I'm loving my Carbine!!
Old August 12, 2011, 11:49 AM   #17
campperrykid

Nice Carbine at a great price.