The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 1, 2014, 10:36 PM   #1
DarthNul

FEG PA-63

I own a FEG PA-63 which as far as as I can discern, has a 1959 acceptance stamp.

While I don't yet consider myself a "collector", I was talking with a guy at my gun club (who definitely is a collector) about it (he owns an R-61). He told me that FEG pistols were "not made in Hungary". He said that they were made in Romania, and the whole "Hungary" thing was a ruse so that surplus guns could be more easily imported into the US.

True? False? Somewhere in between?
Old November 1, 2014, 11:37 PM   #2
RJay

I personally think you friend has been dipping into that medical stuff they just made legal What possible difference does it make where it was made as far as export. Even the research reference states it was made in Hungary. By the way this firearm is still in wide use in Hungary with the various agency's. And that information is from a individual who lives in Hungary and is a member of the Gunboards Forum.
Old November 3, 2014, 03:11 AM   #3
Sergeant

During the 1st Gulf War, I noticed the two tone small side arms some Hungarians soldiers were using. Although small, they looked sharp. Fast forward 24 years, I bought an FEG PA-63. Looked like the same one I remember. I do not know why their military would buy a Romanian firearm. They do share a border and were both Soviet satellite countries in 1959. They were made from 1963 to 1990 and FEG did cease operations in 2004 after bankruptcy. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEG_PA-63 Surplus ones could come from any country, not necessarily there country of origin.

Last edited by Sergeant; November 3, 2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old November 3, 2014, 02:13 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Both countries were Warsaw Pact members. Very much doubt it would have made any difference.
Old November 3, 2014, 05:00 PM   #5
DarthNul

I think I found the source of the confusion. It seems Romania made a model M-74 pistol that looks VERY much like the FEG PA-63.

The M-74 has a black slide, aluminum frame and the same Walther PP styling, except for a distinctive curve on the front edge of the grip. Century arms imported them and some were mistakenly (or intentionally?) stamped "made in Hungary".
Old November 3, 2014, 06:14 PM   #6
Sergeant

Wow. Looking at those side by side, I can see how they could be mistaken for each other.
Old November 4, 2014, 01:19 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can see how they could be mistaken for one another, but the FEG pistols were definitely made in Hungary and proof-marked accordingly. The company is now out of business, but they had a long history of arms production, going back to 1891 and including the Frommer and Femaru pistols.

Though often called clones or copies of the Walther PP, both the Hungarian and Romanian pistols differ from the Walther design in several ways and parts are not interchangeable.

Jim
Old October 29, 2015, 02:46 PM   #8
petesimon

FEG PA 63 User's Guide and Manual

Hello all! Let me revive this thread a little and offer something that might be useful to y'all. As far as 9x18mm Mak pistols, I have shot the Lucznik Radom P-64, Wanad P-83 and this FEG PA-63. Also shot PA-63's little brother, the MBP-AP 7.65mm (32 ACP). I think all small FEG pistols are the best. This PA-63 is my favorite!

So, I wanted to show my enthusiasm for this pistol, and I compiled together an extensive user's guide, sort of like a long manual for this pistol. It has over 30 pages of background and historical information, reviews and commentary, instructions, as well as technical specifications about the pistol itself and 9x18mm Mak ammunition. Well, when I was viewing the parts' diagrams, I wasn't sure of some of the names of parts. Yeah, I would like help to complete the exploded parts' lists in the document (pages 30 and 31) if you got any ideas. Please reply here or send email to me petesimon (at) yahoo.com with your suggestions. Thanks. Here are the links to the document:

PDF, on Google Drive |and| on Dropbox
https://goo.gl/czXgQB |and| https://goo.gl/ILo2KN

Google Sites - various document' formats
https://sites.google.com/site/petesi.../fegpa63pistol

Also checkout an original manual for this pistol in the Hungarian language made in 1965
JPG images - https://imgur.com/a/nSp6Y/layout/horizontal
PDF - https://googledrive.com/host/0B7hPlf...2gzMFBDOTZ0bzA

Cheers!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gaRhTzR imgur (medium).jpg (12.2 KB, 18 views)
Old November 2, 2015, 11:49 PM   #9
gyvel

For correct parts nomenclature, please refer to this link:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...tm?results=All
SIFE
Old November 11, 2015, 07:23 PM   #10
RJay

And please note, item number 12, cocking lever pins are sold out. I was able to made a couple on my drill press using nails . Unlike the Walther , which stakes the pins to the cocking sear, the pins on the PA 63 are held in by the grips only ( I believe that has already been mentioned ) , If you are not carefull, upon removing the grips those pins can vanish into never, never land. Another note, when working on the receiver, be very , very carefull, that is very soft aluminum.

Last edited by RJay; November 11, 2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old November 11, 2015, 07:30 PM   #11
gyvel

Somehow, I don't think this guy is coming back.
SIFE
Old November 16, 2015, 02:00 PM   #12
BoogieMan

Glad I just found this thread. Seeing as its my family heritage I am a big fan off all things Hungarian.
My first Hungarian gun was a PA63 from the LGS. $219 out the door, new in box with 2 mags. I changed mine out to the lighter Wolf springs before my second trip to the range with it. Since then it has proven light, accurate and fun to shoot. It is a bit snappy in the hands with the small grip and light weight.
i didnt realize that manufacture dates went back as far as 59'. Mine would likely be on the newer of the spectrum at AG301x. For a personal defense weapon this is probably the best bargain going. Mine lives in my desk drawer and when working late night alone its usually in my back pocket.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 17, 2015, 04:23 PM   #13
gyvel

Quote:
Another note, when working on the receiver, be very , very carefull, that is very soft aluminum.
Not so soft. The Hungarians experimented with different alloys of Al, and came up with an aluminum-titanium alloy that is somewhat tougher than more common Al alloys.
SIFE
Old November 17, 2015, 08:04 PM   #14
RJay

I've heard that but I have never een able to verified that fact.Every ine I've seen ar asked about was the same, butter soft.

Last edited by RJay; November 17, 2015 at 08:16 PM.