The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 14, 2012, 02:21 AM   #1
jimpeel

A girl's guide to hunting

Georgia Pelligrini, the author of "Girl Hunter: Revolutionizing the Way We Eat, One Hunt at a Time" Amazon Link is interviewed on Fox News.

She started out as a Wall Street investment banker but left that to become a chef of wild game. She hunts, dresses and cooks what she kills. Now she has written an autobiography and cook book for wild game.

Here is the VIDEO LINK

Pretty cool.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 14, 2012, 09:32 AM   #2
shortwave

Saw the interview when it aired on Fox.
Was quite interesting.
Old January 14, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3
warbirdlover

I'd love to go hunting with her! I could show her my new deer hunting "blind"....

And she can cook too!!

Amazing Fox would air something about "hunting'...
Old January 14, 2012, 10:24 AM   #4
BigMikey76

Hmmmmm... maybe I can use this to get my wife interested in hunting. I have already gotten her hooked on plinking with the .22; I just need to find a way to get her to take the next step...
Old January 27, 2012, 03:46 AM   #5
jimpeel

An article by Georgia Pellegrini on squirrels and how good they are for eating.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/...ntcmp=obinsite

Quote:
Why I eat squirrel, really

By Georgia Pellegrini

Published January 22, 2012 | FoxNews.com

Some consider squirrel to be the best meat in the woods. On my journey as a chef, I have come to think that it may be the best meat period. The phrase, “You are what you eat,” befits a squirrel as it does a Spanish acorn-fed pig that are prized so highly by those with means.

<MORE>

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 27, 2012, 01:17 PM   #6
mdd

Hunting game animals will never again be able to sustain our population. At best it is now a supplement for a minority of us. Not sure why she is special enough to deserve a spot on fox news for simply doing what people have always done. There is a lot of sentiment towards this type of thing I suppose. People that haven't hunted in fifty years get a warm fuzzy feeling as they read it or see it because it recalls memories of squirrel hunting with their long-passed grandfather or father.
I would love to try her cooking but squirrel will never replace beef, chicken, or pork in my diet and I'm guessing it won't in yours either.
Old January 27, 2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

She messes up the babble about guns, hunting and macho males and all that baloney. Good for her!
Old January 28, 2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Gbro

My question is,
Dose she know the difference between cutting the wind pipe and cutting the jugular's and carotid artery's that "Bleed" the life out of the animal, or was she just trying to sound less,,,,,,barbaric???
However I get that fuzzy feeling thinking there is hope.
My daughters will shoot but the sleeves never come up.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:20 AM   #9
brmfan

BigMikey: Took my wife hunting for the first time today. My 'secret' was to not force her to wear camo and let her be as comfortable as she wanted. No biggee since we were in a blind. She ended up spotting a large doe and I shot it. She now wants to go next season and do it all on her own!!
Old January 30, 2012, 04:32 AM   #10
jcjr3020

Good for you Brmfan, my wife and i did the same thing last year but she could not make it to the woods this year. It's a start..