The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2005, 03:40 AM   #1
Jimdoe

SWAPPING SLIDE (RUGER P95) YES or NO???

i know I'm gonna sound stupid about this, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. i just recently purchased a Ruger P95 with a blued slide. Now my question is, can I purchase a stainless slide alone and replace the blue one I had? One guy from a gun shop told me that it's not wise to that b/c each slide has to be precise and has to coincide with the barrel and the housing and what not. I'm not sure if he's right or not, or tried to salestalk me of actually purchasing another gun. So, if anyone can shed light on me about this I would really appreciate it.

TY in advance.
Old August 2, 2005, 04:45 AM   #2
CB23

I have no idea how to answer your question. However, I have to ask, if you wanted a stainless slide why didn't you buy one with a stainless slide? Not being rude, just curious (and giving you a hard time).
Old August 2, 2005, 07:02 AM   #3
big daddy 9mm

I would look into it further

I like to do stuff like that too, do not give up. I have heard of people of people putting stainless steel cylinders into their blued revolvers. do not give up. search untill you get a answer that satisffies you.
Old August 2, 2005, 08:38 AM   #4
Jkwas

Why not call Ruger?

I'm sure they would know.
Old August 2, 2005, 03:32 PM   #5
ALLEY GATOR

Yes, It can be done. I have done it with my P95 and my P97. I purchased the slides from Ebay along with the barrels. I now have barrels and slides for all my semi autos. So much for ballistic fingerprinting, eh.
Old August 2, 2005, 03:36 PM   #6
Handy

Ruger does not hand fit anything. All P95 parts should be 100% interchangeable.

That being said, I agree with CB23: Why not just buy the gun you want. It will be cheaper and the serial number will be correct for the configuration. It just seems like alot of trouble on a $300 gun.
Old August 2, 2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Trip20

If the p95 cost you $300, try to sell it for $275 or so... then go buy the stainless model. That way you only wasted $25, instead of whatever a new slide costs.

Of course I'm assuming the slide will cost you more than the loss you'll take for selling and then purchasing a new gun with the stainless slide.
Old August 2, 2005, 06:10 PM   #8
rallyhound

I thought about swapping slides on my xd 40.
There are serial numbers on both slides and frames.
I am not sure if that could bring up legal issues or not were the ATFE guys interested in that gun for some reason.
Old August 2, 2005, 06:50 PM   #9
Jkwas

Keep your gun the way it is

It will be good for carrying purposes, as the slide won't be too noticable. Then buy a real pretty stainless steel gun. Like a Taurus PT92 or a nice Ruger GP100. or like someone is bound to say soon, a CZ75
I don't own a CZ, but I've been programmed to desire one by these message boards. CZ,CZ, must have, CZ...... ( just a little joke, no flaming please).
Peace, out!
Old August 2, 2005, 08:43 PM   #10
Majic

If you can find a slide (Ruger isn't big into selling parts) the swap will be easy. As mentioned above they are not handfitted so parts interchange easily. The next problem will be what to do with the surplus slide. I will bet you no one will want to buy it. Your best option is to sell the pistol you have and then buy the one you really want.
Old August 2, 2005, 11:21 PM   #11
Trip20

Your blued slide will show more holster wear than a stainless.