The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2023, 12:49 PM   #1
jfruser

Remington 1100 21ga Magnum Barrel: Fits Standard 1100 Receiver?

Do Remington 1100 Magnum (3") barrels work with Rem 1100 standard (2 3/4") receivers?

The Rem 870 magnum barrels sure do seem to work on my 870 standard receivers without any issues. But I have never disassembled and examined an 1100 magnum and compared it with the standard length receiver. I have not heard of any issues, but I saw one in a gun store and would like to know before I bought a well-crafted paperweight.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old July 4, 2023, 10:31 AM   #2
ocharry

yes it will fit on the receiver and yes it will function....but

the mag barrels only have 1 gas port in them so you may have to run heavy loads to get it to function....and some of the springs may be a little heavier

not sure about the ejection port on the receiver...it could be the same length but i dont know...so you could run into problems there with clearing the longer hull on ejection...that would be my only concern i think....and the forearm on my magnum 1100 has a fiberglass insert right at the receiver end for re-enforcement too, so that might be something to look at too...not sure why they did that..maybe they were thinking it might spit there so they toughed it up some

would be better to go the other way...magnum receiver with standard barrel...that is how i do it and it works fine

there are some guys on here that really know the 1100 and im sure they will be along with more details

if you made the switch on a 870 and it works.. should work on 1100 too ....not sure if i would want to do a steady diet on mag stuff...but i dont know if it would matter...maybe not

ocharry
Old July 4, 2023, 01:37 PM   #3
Virginian

The ONLY difference between a standard 1100 and a Magnum, in 12 and 20 gauge, is the barrel and the action sleeve. Except for the markings the receivers are identical.
The 20 gauge Magnums were a LOT more sensitive to ammo than the 12s. I have not seen a 20 Magnum that would function with anything less than Magnum loads. Only way to know for sure is to try it.
Old July 6, 2023, 01:18 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

fit on the non-magnum receiver? Probably. WORK?? am not so sure. I don't have any to test, so I can't say with certainty, but remember that the 3" shells are not identical to the 2 3/4" shells and more than the barrel needs to have the clearance to handle 3" shells.

Cartridge stops, lifter, bolt travel, ejection port, and probably a couple other parts I can't think of at the moment need to be able to handle the longer shells.

Gas system might be an issue as well.

I don't know but I suspect that if all it took to change a standard gun to a 3" magnum was just the barrel, why would they build and sell entirely different guns for 3"??

Somehow, doing it just to "trick" people into buying another Remington gun doesn't seem enough. I could be wrong, I just don't know.
Old July 6, 2023, 09:51 PM   #5
Virginian

I repeat - The ONLY difference between a standard 1100 and a Magnum, in 12 and 20 gauge, is the barrel and the action sleeve. Except for the markings the receivers are identical. And I checked a bunch of them.
Old July 7, 2023, 05:21 AM   #6
stuckinthe60s

Virginian, on your inspection of 1100 bbls, did you notice the length of the bbl extensions being different, being the reason they are different? or is it something else?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old July 7, 2023, 11:24 PM   #7
Virginian

Barrel extensions, receiver ejection port, even the action springs, are the same.
Old July 8, 2023, 09:48 AM   #8
eastbank

i know some of the light weight 20 ga 870 shotguns have differnt barrels and you need the right one as i have one and bought one and it didn,t fit, the extenstions are different.
Old July 8, 2023, 10:06 AM   #9
Virginian

The 870 Special Field models have a shorter mag tube, and the barrel band is closer to the receiver, so those barrels will not interchange with standard. Some of the HD, Police models have a longer mag tube, so those barrel rings are farther out and will not interchange.
I have not seen an 870 with a different barrel extension.
Old July 8, 2023, 08:16 PM   #10
Scorch

Biggest difference for the 1100 Magnum is there is only one barrel gas port on a 3" model, the 2-3/4" guns have two ports in the barrel. That's how they got the magnums to cycle without beating up the receivers. The big drawback was that the magnum 1100s wouldn't cycle lower powered shells, which is where the 11-87 came in.