The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 2, 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
richiep

How accurate is the new Mini 14

I am thinking about getting a mini. I have always liked them but I just want to know how accurate are they? What is there MOA at 100yards and how does that compare to an sks? thanks ahead of time.
Old April 2, 2010, 11:46 AM   #2
LloydXmas250

I don't have any time behind one but researching a potential buy I've found that they're much better than they used to be. New models have a tapered barrel which helps the issue. When it all comes down to it though, the Mini 14 is not claiming to be accurate. It's a gun to defend a homestead and get rid of varmint on a ranch. Probably a much better SHTF gun than a target gun. What will you use it for?
Old April 2, 2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Crosshair

Under 2 moa is doable with quality ammo. With rack grade ammo they are as accurate as your average AR with similar barrel profile shooting rack grade ammo.

From the bench, the Mini isn't that great as far as accuracy. From a standpoint of accuracy in tactical shooting, you can't tell the difference between a Mini and an AR.

Nutnfancy has done some great video reviews on the Mini-14. Very unbiased.

"Mini-14 Against The World" Pt 1 by Nutnfancy ~40 minutes

Ruger Mini-14 Tactical: "Arrival of the Underdog" by Nutnfancy ~50 minutes
Old April 2, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4
REWTX

I agree with Crosshair. I have a new Mini and a S&W M&P 15 and you can't tell the difference with factory ammo.
Old April 2, 2010, 06:00 PM   #5
ThomasT

With my new 580 series gun with the tapered barrel I will get between 2-3" at a hundred with open sights and Monarch ammo from Academy Sports. Thats with 53 year old eyes that do not work as well as they used to. I have not scoped my gun and shot it. I like open sights on this type of rifle.

I also had another 580 serial# gun with the straight taper barrel that shot just as well. I sold when I bought the above mentioned gun and really regret it. It weighed 3/4 of a pound less and you could tell when lifting them side by side. It was more like an M-1 Carbine.
Old April 4, 2010, 01:43 AM   #6
richiep

Thanks everyone. I really like the gun and the accuracy seems decent enough, I was going keep the stock sights anyway. I just want it for plinking and fun and if the need ever arised for a tactical carbine.
Old April 4, 2010, 07:25 AM   #7
blume357

go for it,

I don't think you will be wrong.

Brand new made in America gun....

I applaud your choice of staying with Iron sights.

I've got old tired eyes too, but I'll tell you that the challenge of shooting well with Iron out weights the benefit of 'cheating' with a big old expensive scope any day.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:42 AM   #8
SoundFx

I love my Mini. I have the Amega Ranges rail system, and I believe that it makes the gun even more accurate.

It's shoots as well as my AR's (LMT lowers and Noveske middy uppers). There does seem to be a little stringing when you've heated the barrel up, but overall I have no issues with it and recommend them to everyone.

Cheers,
Sfx
Old April 10, 2010, 03:50 PM   #9
restoremaneo

Mini 14 Target Accuracy

I've owned (5) Mini 14/ Mini Ranch Rifles within the past 5 years following the ownership of (1) custom built heavy barrel DPMS AR (Stainless U&L). I now own a Mini 14 Target that I purchased in early Jan '10. I shoot competitively at a local F&G club where you're apt to find anything on a given Sat. morning. The typical game is 100, 200, 300 yrds. 5 shots timed 5 minutes each distance on NRA regulation targets. The Mini 14T shoots as well or better than the DPMS that I owned previously, but you have to take the time to "tune" it using the advise in the instruction manual when adjusting the compensator. Stick with one brand of ammo or reload. The 1-9 RH twist will accomodate grain weights up to 85 without issue. Watch your powder and speed. I shoot Hogdon Varget and IMR-4198 with 75gr. Siera MatchKing. If you're concerned about hunting with it, strip it down and use a folding or TAPCO stock to lighten it up. I don't worry about the weight in the field because the coyotes never hear the shot that kills them. Sub 0.5 MOA groups are not unusual at 100 yrds. Spend the time with it and you'll find that the Mini 14T is a real tack driver at distances rivalling most stock ARs. This is no BS.
I've considered trading for the new SR-556, but at twice the price I just can't justify it. The Mini 14T is a beautiful firearm and equipped with a Harris Bi-Pod it's all the artilliery I need to do what I do. Besides that it doesn't look like your headed to Bagdad when you show up at the range.
Old April 10, 2010, 04:14 PM   #10
olyinaz

Mine is old, and with a bar on it I get 1" groups consistently. This particular one is better than that, Hornady match grade ammo, three shots:

Would five shots have stayed that tight? Of course not, but my point is that they're plenty accurate if you set 'em up right and look for the ammo that they like best. With crap surplus this gun is about a 2-2.5" five shot rifle.

Best,
Oly
Old April 10, 2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Bamashooter

I have a thin barreled 580 series with an accustrut and wilson combat 1911 recoil buffers. Today was the first day ive had a chance to shoot it with a new load i wanted to try.( sierra 60gr. 24.8gr IMR4895) Shot a 20rd.mag to heat up the barrel and shot a 1.276in. shot group. It was a 5 shot group with open sights. I would say they are pretty accurate. My upgrades cost me a total of 100 dollars. Very well worth it.
Old April 11, 2010, 09:58 AM   #12
22-rimfire

I think it is an excellent choice for your needs. You want reliable and the Mini 14 is VERY reliable. I have one and it shoots good enough for me at 100 yds. About the only thing I use it for is plinking and I can hit clay pigeons at that range without too much difficulty. So from a defensive perspective, I pity the poor guy standing at 100 yds trying to do me harm. I much prefer them to the AK design although I always liked the SKS for a plinker.

I don't plink much with my Mini 14. It is just too expensive for me to rip off a couple 100 rounds for no reason other than to hear the gun go off and see a clay pigeon break or punch holes in a milk jug or paint can. Yes, I always have a fair supply of ammunition for the "what if's". I don't expect to need ammunition for a what if, but it is comforting to know that you have a rifle in a caliber that shoots military ammo with ease.

Yes, I shoot 22LR more and that can get expensive with target grade ammo for a days outing.

Pick up some extra Ruger magazines as soon as you can afford them. They work the best.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:57 AM   #13
Zudd

I have a new one, it shoots great, hits everything I want it to, out to 100 yards (which is the furthest I shoot). I'm not sure how it is on paper, but it's minute of dead guy accurate for sure with no troubles using iron sights.
Old April 11, 2010, 11:37 AM   #14
STEINER

I have a new 580. It is scoped. At X4 I shoot 2.5 MOA @ 100 yrds. I am not
considered a good shooter. My friends that go the range with me shoot tighter groups than that. So, in my opinion, the Mini is accurate and extremly
reliable.
Old April 11, 2010, 05:22 PM   #15
Terry A

I've never owned one. Shot my brother in law's and it was a neat little rifle.

Two things come to mind when I think of Ruger's Mini....First, it's still being produced after all these years, which is saying something about it's quality and popularity.

And second, every time I see any prison guard in any prison tower, they always have the Mini 14! I've never seen a single episode of "Lock Down" that didn't have a guard patroling w/ a Mini 14. And they all have just the factory sights, no scopes on the "prison guns".
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old April 13, 2010, 11:23 AM   #16
greyeyezz

Quote:
And second, every time I see any prison guard in any prison tower, they always have the Mini 14!
Thats because if they miss there are no innocent bystanders.
Old April 13, 2010, 11:56 AM   #17
rickyrick

l have a new one, I don't measure groups, but, between 50 and 100 I shoot most holes touching with an occasional flier.

that's with iron sights,

scoped, it opened up a quite a bit, haven't had a low wind day to investigate the cause.

I usually shoot iron sights but scoped it because I was doing a little varmint shooting at night and the sights were a little challenging in the dark.

Its a butt load of fun, extremely reliable, very easy to clear a rare malfunction.

I only wish it had a slap-in magazine like an AR but with a little practice you get used to it.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:03 PM   #18
rduckwor

I have a SS 196 series to which I added the Accu-Strut and a pin-on Flash hider.

It was a correctional system turn-in. Why I have no idea. The synthetic stock was a bit scratched up, but otherwise, relatively little use. Wonder what they replaced them with?

~MOA rifle at 100 yards when I'm up to doing my part.

RMD

Tags
accuracy , mini 14