The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 7, 2011, 04:09 PM   #26
johnbt

"Am I the only person that learned to shoot off hand first? "

I was going to say you aren't the only one, but I was only 4 when I started shooting regularly, so I first learned to shoot a rifle with somebody else holding it.
Old December 7, 2011, 04:10 PM   #27
Dan44149

Quote:
I was going to say you aren't the only one, but I was only 4 when I started shooting regularly, so I first learned to shoot a rifle with somebody else holding it.
Same here.... and the same way I taught my daughter to shoot.
NRA Life-Member
Old December 7, 2011, 04:44 PM   #28
4EVERM-14

Accurately shooting from standing is a question of balance. If you notice from Niner4tango's pictures the shooters are standing erect. Their weight is evenly carried. The center of gravity is directly between their feet. The arch in their back is to bring the weight of the rifle closer to their core. This allows the shooter to keep both feet flat on the ground. The legs and feet are doing most of the work. Little energy is used to hold the rifle and the position can be held for a long time. This is not the classic hunter/snap shooting position. That 's another scenario. This is not the position to shoot that running deer but if the target is stationary and there is nothing available to rest the rifle on it can be a viable solution. Plus it is stable enough to make a refined sight picture and clean shot release. Each person is going to create their own particular position which means practice, dry firing and more practice and more dry firing and more......
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 7, 2011, 05:09 PM   #29
scwhitetail

Thanks for all of the tips guys, to clarify I am primarily concerned about hunting although I want to get into competition at some point in the future.
Old December 7, 2011, 05:17 PM   #30
UtopiaTexasG19

Due to my age and health I would not be steady enough to take a standing shot over 50 yards with reasonable results. If I could not find something available close enough to steady myself on I would just forget the shot for safetys sake. Everyone needs to realize their own personal capabilities...
Old December 7, 2011, 05:22 PM   #31
rickyrick

Kraig,

what are the locations of the vintage rifle matches, And do the rifles have to be un-modified?

I have a Mosin-Nagant un-modified
But, I have an Enfield that was modified slightly, sometime in the '60s a relative brought it back from Vietnam and the stock was cut back a bit. The guys were using it for a while over there, been in the family ever since.
Old December 7, 2011, 05:57 PM   #32
Picher

I'm known as a very good offhand shot, blessed with good motor control and hand-eye coordination, but practiced for over 50 years. I literally wore out three Daisy BB guns before turning 14, two pumps and a lever. I'd burn off 10 tubes of Winchester BBs a week, all offhand. As an adult, I've shot in lots of offhand turkey shoots and shot numerous woodchucks and other varmints offhand out to 200 yards; deer, several yards beyond that. On good shooting evenings, I've shot 1/4", 5-shot groups offhand at 50 feet with my sporters.

I've shot with people who have equal or better hand-eye coordination than me and it seems to be a key to good offhand shooting. Some people can't hold a gun steady, no matter what they do. Those folks may have greater need for slings and bracing against their hip, ribcage, etc, more than people whose bodies can hold steadier. Practice is the real key to better offhand shooting. I practice offhand holding, but don't dry fire most rimfires without an empty shell in the chamber.

When shooting .22 sporters offhand, I can tell whether it will be a good session or not. If I'm not at peak, I resort to resting my left elbow against my chest a bit and that helps. However, when I'm having a good day, I can control the muzzle better with the left arm fully extended. Target shooter positions, especially resting the left elbow, are best for long strings of shots, but inhibit free movement when plinking at multiple targets and shooting moving game.

A key to better offhand accuracy is to focus one's attention on the center of the target and let the sights seemingly "wander" toward it, guided by peripheral vision. As the sight picture gets into the "acceptable accuracy" zone, the trigger is pressed smoothly, but if it wanders away, held steady, then pressed again as it approaches center.

Normally, I fire the first time the sights enter the target center zone, since I'm conditioned to do so, but also condition myself to hold for a second shot, whether it's taken or not. That is called follow-through and is particularly important for pistol shooting and rimfire rifle shooting because the bullet takes longer to leave the barrel than with faster cartridges and any let-down can throw a shot.

I tend to breathe regularly until just before the shot, when I often hold it for a few seconds. If shooting more than one shot, I don't pay attention to breathing, but do so normally.

A relaxed, upright position is most comfortable to me. I'm not turned 90 degrees, but part way, with my feet separated comfortably, my left about 4-6" ahead of the right. Right elbow is comfortably down, not forced, left elbow either straight or bent as comfortable at that time. Comfort is the key to good offhand shooting and I may hold a bit differently as fatigue sets in during a long shooting session...whatever feels the most comfortable at the time is the way to go.

Tension causes stress and shakes. If you feel shaky or your back starts to hurt, step away and take a break. Sit down, relax, and go back in 15 minutes or so and try again. Note: Caffine and good offhand shooting don't usually go together.

Don't make shooting into a chore, it shouldn't be, it should be relaxing and fun!!! It has been excellent for stress reduction, since it forces a person to concentrate on the task at hand and to put aside worries and frustrations of the day. Offhand pistol shooting is particularly good for stress reduction.

Hope this helps.
Old December 7, 2011, 06:07 PM   #33
kraigwy

Quote:
Kraig,

what are the locations of the vintage rifle matches, And do the rifles have to be un-modified?
Here is CMP's website listing clinics. Not all are posted yet, waiting for warmer weather. (I haven't gave CMP my dates yet) so keep checking back, more will be posted as warmer weather nears.

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/match...gnation=CLINIC

The Clinics (and matches) cover GSM, Garand Springfield, and Vintage Military Rifle) plus, carbines, modern military, modified Garands, rimfires and of course High Power Rifle as in Service rifles.

So yes you can use un-modified and modified rifles. In the matches you'll only be competing in your class, As for Mosins, you'll be competing in the as issued or un-modified Vintage Military class.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Tags
accuracy , hunting , shooting positions , standing , unsupported