The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 12, 2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Micro man

No TruGlo

I bought a Ruger American 308 some time ago and needed a scope for it. My budget is severely limited so I bought a TruGlo 3X9 x 40 from MC sports so I could at least shoot the rifle. The cost of the scope was about $40. The first time shooting the rifle I put about 10 rounds through it with no problems. I went back to the range today with my son and after 6 rounds the reticle started to move counter-clockwise at every shot and I stopped shooting when it went to the 10 o'clock position.
I thought the scope may have been loose in the rings but everything was tight. I know the scope was inexpensive but I did not expect it to crap out after less than 20 rounds. At this point I don't know if it would be worth my time and money to ship it to TruGlo or not.
Old December 12, 2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Blindstitch

How long is some time ago?
Old December 12, 2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Micro man

I bought it last April 2014.
Old December 12, 2014, 05:15 PM   #4
MarkCO

Total junk. Trash can time. Sorry for your loss.
Old December 14, 2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Inspector3711

If you want a reliable cheap scope look at Mueller. I have two and they have great optics for the money. Absolutely no problems with repeatable accuracy from range trip to range trip.
Old December 14, 2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Micro man

Inspector-thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check out the Mueller brand. Has anyone had any experience with BSA scopes?
Old December 28, 2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Yung.gunr

With it being a .308 you will likely need to spend a little more on optics. That .308 has a lot more recoil than the cheaper optics can handle. From what Ive seen just handling BSA optics I wouldnt try it on the .308. Did you contact CS for Truglo?
Old December 28, 2014, 08:35 PM   #8
4runnerman

Another Vote here for Mueller. Got a 8--32 x 44 on my 308. Very good tracking( passed the box test). Clarity is real good. I am not a fan of the 44 obj, but for $240.00 it is a great scope.
Old December 28, 2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Huskerguy

Had a BSA through Midway. All two of them were junk. Poor reviews on that model. I have a truglo on a Ruger 22 pistol and could not be happier. It is accurate and works great.
Old December 29, 2014, 09:36 AM   #10
CowTowner

If you want quality at the $150 price point, then go Vortex Crossfire II
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...cope?a=1512923
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 29, 2014, 10:27 AM   #11
madmo44mag

I have one on a 5.56 and never had an issue but 308 has more recoil.
I suspect that is the issue with yours but that not to say you did not get a bad scope.
I would step up to a better optic since it is 308 cal. I really don't see a cheap optic surviving with a moderate to heavy recoil.
Old December 30, 2014, 09:39 PM   #12
baddarryl

If Natchez still has them the Nitrex TR scopes are unbelievable for the money. Out of production but were made by Weaver and I hear they still service and warranty them. I got a 3x9x42 for my .270 for less than $150. I have compared it to much more expensive glass and found no difference.
Old January 8, 2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Micro man

No Tru glo

I contacted Tru glo about the problem they suggested trying to return to MC sports.Itwas well past their 30 day return policy so no luck. I am in contact with tru glo again they want more info on the scope and a picture of it.So we will see where that leads.
In the meantime I found a good deal(I think) on a Redfield Revenge from Optics planet. I just ordered some Burris rings for it as well. I would like to try my new set up ASAP but right now it's 4 degrees with 30 mph winds in Michigan.