The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which one of the three handguns would you pick for concealed carry?
S&W .357 Model 627 V-Comp 8 9.76%
Sig 9mm P226-Combat TB 62 75.61%
FNH .45 FNX-45 Tactical 12 14.63%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 9, 2014, 03:00 AM   #1
ATN082268

Which one of the three handguns would you pick for concealed carry?

Which one of the three handguns would you pick for concealed carry?
Old April 9, 2014, 03:15 AM   #2
thedudeabides

I wouldn't CCW anything with a threaded barrel. That means tall sights which sag on everything, don't fit most holsters, and a threaded barrel that sticks out of most holsters and gouges your soft parts.

There are very few things worse for CCW than a gun made for a can. Maybe a race gun with a reticle/scope.

Try drawing from concealment with one of the things and see how well you do.

Get a LEO trade in P229 9mm with low profile sights.
Old April 9, 2014, 06:04 AM   #3
ritepath

I'd skip all those too small to shoot accurately and limited capacity CC pistols.
Old April 9, 2014, 07:47 AM   #4
AK103K

Quote:
I wouldn't CCW anything with a threaded barrel. That means tall sights which sag on everything, don't fit most holsters, and a threaded barrel that sticks out of most holsters and gouges your soft parts.

There are very few things worse for CCW than a gun made for a can.
Thats not always true.

I have a couple of pistols with threaded barrels and they wear "normal" sights. If you shoot with both eyes open, you dont need the higher sights to shoot well with a can attached. Even just using one eye, is quite doable.

There are a number of holsters these days that will work with the higher sights as well, and more and more, they are mounting them in conjunction with the red dots.

The barrel is only about half an inch longer, and doesnt get in the way or "poke".

I picked the P226 of the three above. I carried one for a number of years, and they are easy to carry. I didnt carry that particular model, but from what Ive seen pic wise, they dont all have suppressor sights mounted.
Old April 9, 2014, 07:55 AM   #5
Microgunner

None.
I'd choose something designed for concealed carry.
Old April 9, 2014, 08:30 AM   #6
AK103K

I dont see that any of those listed above would be hard to carry concealed.

They are "reasonably" sized handguns. They may not be the "little" guns many seem to insist you choose these days, but if youre accustomed to carrying a full size gun, I dont see they would be an issue.
Old April 9, 2014, 08:34 AM   #7
tahunua001

those are all full sized guns so I'm saying none of the above
Old April 9, 2014, 09:21 AM   #8
pilpens

Limited to the ones on your list, the P226.
.... but I would rather CC something smaller.
==========
How do you plan to carry? iwb? owb? shoulder rig?
Old April 9, 2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Guv

How bout a 229?
Old April 9, 2014, 03:17 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

Any would work for me.

It's not about 'size', it's about 'method'......
Old April 9, 2014, 04:37 PM   #11
mxsailor803

I would look at something different as well.
Old April 9, 2014, 05:26 PM   #12
campbed

None of the above. I'd carry a CCW gun.

This question is kinda like asking who you would like to go on a date with, Rosie O'Donnell, Rachel Maddow, or Steve Buscemi. Yea, it could kinda be done, but very difficult to get to mission accomplished.

Last edited by campbed; April 9, 2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old April 9, 2014, 05:43 PM   #13
AK103K

Just what is a "ccw" gun?

Ive carried full sized pistols most of my life. I also carry what many seem to think these days, are full sized guns, PPK's, P230's, Glock 26's, S&W J frames, etc, as a back up along with them.

Those guns in ATN082268's list above, are just full sized handguns. They arent "oversized".

Even ritepath's SIG is doable, with the right gear and dress. Ive done that with an MP5 in one case, and a MAC in another, and they both had double reloads on the off side as well.

Quote:
It's not about 'size', it's about 'method'......
Theres your answer.
Old April 9, 2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

I'd look for something a little smaller. Out of your list however, I'd opt for the Sig.
Old April 10, 2014, 02:54 PM   #15
BigJimP

Out of your list, I'd pick the Sig 226 ...its a good solid gun.

But you should pick the one you shoot the best of the 3 ! Not what I would pick ....you should pick what fits your hands the best, the best grip angle for you , the controls you like the best, the weight, width....etc....

( personally my primary carry gun is a steel, 5" 1911 in .45 acp )...because that's what suits me the best / and the gun I shoot the best. My backup option, would be the same 1911 in a 9mm...
Old April 10, 2014, 03:13 PM   #16
jimbob86

All 3 would be too large for EDC, for me. YMMV.
Old April 10, 2014, 03:47 PM   #17
Dragline45

I wouldn't choose any of those for concealed carry, in my opinion they are all to large. Because of that I didn't vote.
Old April 10, 2014, 03:58 PM   #18
EvgeniBG

None of these guns was been especially designed for CC which doesn't mean they can't be concealed. I CC my USP9F with no problems.
Voted for Sig.
Old April 10, 2014, 05:54 PM   #19
tomrkba

SIG P226. It carries just fine in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 with extra forward cant on a gun belt. I would swap the threaded barrel out with a standard one.

The FN FNX-45 is a huge gun that even I would not consider carrying (from a guy who carries a Ruger Alaskan AIWB). The 627 can be managed with "boot" grips that do not extend much past the bottom of the frame. I carry my 327 TRR8 with 5" barrel in an IWB holster. The holster you carry it in should have lots of forward cant. However, you will need to remove the compensator. The 5" barrel is not much of a problem with a good holster like the VM2 or a good pancake holster. Again, forward cant is the secret.

Here is my P220 in a VM 2. The only difference is the width of the grip.

Last edited by tomrkba; April 10, 2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old April 10, 2014, 06:24 PM   #20
AK103K

I carried my 226's and 220's in either a Blade Tech IWB or a Sparks VMII, at around 4:30. While I agree cant is a big help, I never found the need to add any more to mine. I still use the same model holsters today with my Glock 17's, and in the same spot.

Since many seem to think the above listed guns are to big to carry, Im curious as to why.

The P226 and P220, are Colt Commander sized handguns. They really arent "big". The FN is about the same size as the SIG.

Of the three, the S&W is probably the biggest. The N frame revolvers can be a bit of a challenge, but with the right holsters, they arent bad. Ive carried 4" Model 28's and 29's, with both belt and shoulder holsters, and they are easily carried concealed.
Old April 10, 2014, 07:41 PM   #21
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K
Since many seem to think the above listed guns are to big to carry, Im curious as to why.
Because they are full size handguns and I can conceal a smaller gun easier and more comfortably, it's as simple as that. Not sure why this should come as any surprise that people think a full size handgun is too big for concealed carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K
They really arent "big".
Handguns don't get much bigger.

Last edited by Dragline45; April 10, 2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old April 10, 2014, 08:10 PM   #22
Departed402

I voted P226, but your choices are like trying to decide between a Prius, a Smart Car, or a Cooper Mini for off-roading.
Old April 10, 2014, 08:54 PM   #23
AK103K

Quote:
Not sure why this should come as any surprise that people think a full size handgun is too big for concealed carry.
Well, people have been carrying full size guns concealed since about the giddy up, and without any trouble doing so.

Perhaps this is a generational thing?

Quote:
Handguns don't get much bigger.
I guess its a matter of perception, and experience. To me, things like Colt GM's and 4" S&W revolvers, are just normal sized pistols, that are easily carried concealed, in everyday clothing. What many insist today are CC sized guns, and the largest they could possibly carry, are to me, back up sized guns, that get carried along with the full sized gun.

Theres no doubt its a personal thing, and there are many more choices these days, than just 10 -15 years ago, which is great. I just think telling someone something is to big, just because you dont want to carry it, is doing that person a disservice. Some of us have been carrying full size guns, and back ups as well, day in, day out, their whole lives, and with little trouble, because they want to. If someone wants to carry a full sized gun, I say, have at it, its easy. The only way to really know, it to give it a try.

Theres always those back ups, if it doesnt work out.
Old April 10, 2014, 09:15 PM   #24
Dragline45

True, but the majority of people have a tough time concealing a full size handgun day in and day out. That's not to say it can't be done, but it can often require you to dress around the gun, with either larger pants, a cover garment, or oversized shirts.

The biggest guns I have carried concealed have been a Beretta M9A1 and a S&W 686, both of which I found to be just too tough to conceal and too uncomfortable for all day carry. In fact my first handgun was a 686, and without any prior experience I intended to carry that thing everyday. I soon found out that it was not even close to ideal as a carry gun, and scraped together any bit of money I could and quickly bought a model 60 for carry. The biggest gun I will carry on a daily basis is something in the realm of a M&P compact, but lately it has been a Shield 9mm and a Bodyguard .380 in the pocket when I am at work. I will add that accidentally showing your carry gun in my state can land you in hot water, which is why I have to take extra care in concealing my gun.

Last edited by Dragline45; April 11, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old April 10, 2014, 09:51 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Well, people have been carrying full size guns concealed since about the giddy up, and without any trouble doing so.
SOME people have, but if it were true that anyone can conceal full-sized guns "without any trouble" no one would bother making or buying small guns for concealed carry.

I carry a full-sized gun on occasions but it would be incorrect to say that I have no trouble doing so. I either have to completely alter my mode of dress (go to a dedicated cover garment or jacket), or I have to be very careful about what I do to avoid printing/unintentionally concealing.

If I were to use an IWB holster with a full-sized gun, I would have to have 2 sizes of pants, one for carry and one for non-carry.

I can conceal a more typical concealed carry gun without altering my mode of dress at all, or by simply untucking my shirt. Even with an IWB holster, I don't have to go to a different pant size, I can simply let my belt out one notch and use the same size pants because the gun/holster combo is relatively compact.

Some folks may have a normal mode of dress that lends itself to concealing a full-sized handgun without any trouble, but I would say they are the exception rather than the rule.

There's certainly no question that if a person is dedicated to carrying a full-sized gun that they can find a way to make it work. That's not at all the same thing as saying that anyone can do it without any trouble.