The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 30, 2013, 09:37 PM   #76
BurgerBoy

I'm 72. Started with a bb gun at 5 and got my first 22 rifle when I was 12 years old and a 20ga shot gun when I was 15.

I don't have any of those any more.
Self Defense Stories
Old October 31, 2013, 02:34 AM   #77
Ben Towe

I'm another young whippersnapper reading this (I'm 28), but I love reading history written by those who lived it. I'm a firm believer in the old saying, "When an old person dies, a library burns to the ground." So keep it coming!
Old October 31, 2013, 03:47 PM   #78
.45 Vet

I just retired at the age of 62 this month. My Dad started me shooting along the local creek bank while training the dogs when I was around five or six. He used to carry an old Iver Johnson Target sealed 8-shot .22 revolver. For my 12th birthday I awoke to find his old Remington 121 pump .22 on my dresser. I couldn't begin to guess the number of bricks of .22's we put down the pipe of that pump till then. But once I turned 12, Dad said I was old enough to cut grass and earn money to buy my own. I was never without ammo, even if Dad had to actually hand the money to the clerk until I was 18.

I passed the rifle on to my oldest son the same way on his 12th birthday. I still store the Rem.121 for my boy, right next to my Dad's other pump-gun. A Remington 141 in .35 Rem. They make a nice pair in the gun closet.

Dad didn't allow BB guns or fire-works because they were illegal in the city limits. But he had no problem getting me a one lb. can of Carbide to make noise with on the 4th of July with a home-made paint-can-cannon.

I got my carry license in 1975, and have been doing so ever since. Not so much at first, but it has become almost second nature the last few years, just like grabbing the wallet and truck keys. What was the old credit card commercial, "Never Leave Home With-out It"...

Last edited by .45 Vet; October 31, 2013 at 03:53 PM.