The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2002, 04:12 AM   #1
batch

parts for a Rem 51

Does anyone have ideas on where I can get a 'breech bolt' for the Remington Mod 51 in .380? Mine broke, dang it. I have tried Gun Parts and they don't have it, not for years. Not a surprise considering Remington quit making it in 1934. Thanks.
batch
Old January 25, 2002, 07:58 AM   #2
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Ouch. You have hit upon the 51's primary weakness. If Gunparts doesn't have one, you may be out of luck. A great gun, except for that one issue. A design ahead of the metallurgy, it appears.

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion beyond plugging "gun parts" into a search engine and doing some digging.

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old January 25, 2002, 08:03 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Try Traders' Den (218) 666-5083. They are expensive but they are also likely to have what you need. George
Old January 26, 2002, 12:29 PM   #4
Badger Arms

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ is where I'd look first, but I doubt they'd have it. You can also try Jack First at (605) 343-9544. You can have the one off my gun for $600! I'll throw in all the other parts too.
Old January 26, 2002, 12:31 PM   #5
Badger Arms

Wow, you're in Birchwood? Used to live there myself, bout two minutes from the highway. Nice to have that range RIGHT down the road whenever you need it.
Old January 27, 2002, 04:26 AM   #6
batch

It is great being so close to the range. Only problem is that I'm a metallic cartridge shooter, not clay target shooter. The range is run by shotgunners who seem to really disdain anything on 'our' end of the range. Rarely get any support from them but the trap and skeet machines are replaced early and the pigeon houses rebuilt when a need is preceived. it used to be an Issac Walton related facitlity but they seemingy got WAY too leftist and anti-gun so the club, dumped them. Still a great place to shoot, though. Thanks for the responses on the breech bolt for my pistol. I really hate to retire the old thing. It is a great shooter and a natural pointer, oh well.\
batch
Old January 27, 2002, 03:23 PM   #7
Badger Arms

Not sure if this is helpful, but I'm certain a machinest worth his salt could duplicate the bolt. As I remember the piece we are discussing is small, but has lots of machine operations on it. If you could find a good machinest with some gunsmithing experience he could probably whip you up a passable part. Biggest concern would involve metalurgy. I've heard of these pistols having parts breakage issues before.