The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2011, 03:50 PM   #26
mkk41

Got this 1975 Mk.I bull barrel (used) when I was 16. Went back to Ruger for a reblue about 15yrs ago. OEM/NOS walnut grips from the Sportsmans Guide.

Old November 19, 2011, 04:56 PM   #27
Sharpsdressed Man

[IMG][/IMG]
Old November 19, 2011, 05:35 PM   #28
ammo.crafter

Ruger

35 year old MK 1 with red dot used for PPC competition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MK1 PPC.jpg (139.2 KB, 33 views)
Old November 25, 2011, 05:10 PM   #29
Morgo

My Ruger Charger

Runner ups

Old November 25, 2011, 05:28 PM   #30
AH.74

I got this Mark III a while ago and quickly discovered I should have picked one up years ago. GREAT gun!

Old November 25, 2011, 05:41 PM   #31
laytonj1

The best of the bunch... the MKII Competition Target Model.

Jim
Old September 7, 2015, 09:16 PM   #32
brotherzoo

I hate to see a great old thread die on the vine...

....and I have a hard time making up my mind.

Mark I

Mark IIs

Mark IIIs

Old September 7, 2015, 09:17 PM   #33
brotherzoo

And my every day sunshine...

Old September 10, 2015, 12:32 PM   #34
WIL TERRY

SO...tell us all again...why do we have to pick a favorite...?

And so it goes...
Old September 10, 2015, 12:54 PM   #35
willr

You can, of course, tell the difference between the good old ones and the newer ones by comparing the end of the receiver. Mine has been my favorite since I bought it years ago for $37.50. Yes, that was the price.
willr
Old September 10, 2015, 04:58 PM   #36
Mike38

I enjoy my Ruger MkII 22/45 with the 5.5 inch bull barrel. Very accurate, eats anything. Couldn't ask for more. It would probably scare me if I knew how many rounds have gone down the tube in the past 15 years. I had a standard MkII with the tapered barrel, but didn't like it as much as the 22/45, so I sold it. Guess I prefer the grip angle of the 22/45 over the other.
Old September 10, 2015, 05:15 PM   #37
tallball

My FiL has a SS MKII with a longish barrel. It is some kind of target version. That thing is ACCURATE.

My Browning Buck Mark is comparable, but his MarkII might be slightly more accurate.
Old September 10, 2015, 06:57 PM   #38
HisSoldier

I love my Mk III but immediately felt the need to remove the lawyer additions like the magazine safety and the LCI, I also removed the child lock device.
With those removed I much prefer the Mk III to the Mk II, because of the magazine release position where it's better located.

The leftists want fingerprint locked cases and all guns locked up, but that's just their interim measure, they want all guns gone.

A "1984" type big brother society would suit them well.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old September 10, 2015, 07:19 PM   #39
JimPage

"You can, of course, tell the difference between the good old ones and the newer ones by comparing the end of the receiver. Mine has been my favorite since I bought it years ago for $37.50. Yes, that was the price."

For info only, willr. Not trying to best you. I have the same model but got it wholesale for $28.50. I had a FFL at the time that could be had for only $5. That was back in the late 1950s. Oops. I guess I'm showing my age.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 10, 2015, 07:25 PM   #40
amd6547

Zombie threads are so disappointing.
Old September 11, 2015, 10:18 AM   #41
osbornk

22/45 MK III Target is my favorite because it is the one I have.
Old September 11, 2015, 11:16 AM   #42
aarondhgraham

I posted in this thread back in 2011,,,

I posted in this thread back in 2011,,,
On my birthday (Nov 17) in fact.

Since then the pistol I posted about,,,
Was been gifted to a young college graduate.

Since then I have purchased two more 22/45's and an SR-22.

I had always wanted a matching pair of duel,,, eerrr,,, target pistols,,,
When Buds had these slab-side stainless beauties on sale,,,
I just couldn't resist giving them a nice home.

I did buy a MK-III just because I got a GREAT deal on it,,,
I've never driven the 145 miles to pick it up yet.

The 22/45's remains my favorite Ruger of them all,,,
But I must say that the SR-22 is one supremely fun little range toy.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; September 13, 2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old September 11, 2015, 04:42 PM   #43
dgludwig

My favorite is the MK II Government Model with the "heat treated chamber". It's proven to be an accurate and reliable pistol.
Old September 11, 2015, 05:22 PM   #44
6mm

My Fav. Old MKII.

Got it from a Gun shop for $100, about ten years ago, because the rear sight was broken.

Old September 12, 2015, 06:40 PM   #45
Stevie-Ray

I have an old RST-6 that was my first ever handgun. It's still in lovely shape.

I liked the RST so much that I went all out next time, ten years later, for the KMK-512. It's likely my favorite

However, if I ever get around to firing this, it may supplant the KMK-512 as my favorite Ruger .22

Old September 12, 2015, 07:21 PM   #46
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, this one has been a mix of fun and frustration:

When I first got the 22/45 Lite, I mounted the rail to the top of the barrel/receiver. I was pleased to see the iron sights were usable with the raik mounted and basically zeroed already. I then added the Burris Fastfire 2, which required a special mount afapter between the Fastfire and 1913 rail.

As soon as I saw all those screws (3 for the rail, 2 for the Fastfire to mount, and one for mount to rail) I was skeptical; but I thought "Well, it is only .22LR". I then added the Silencerco Sparrow suppressor. On my first run, I was just really pleased with it - quiet, cheap to shoot, great accuracy, ran well with all different kinds of .22LR whether suppressed or not, lightweight and no big zero shift between suppressed and unsuppressed.

However, I had some difficulty getting it to hold zero. The various mounts, rails, etc. kept loosening and shifting. I finally busted out the Loctite on the rail and spent an hour getting the thing rezeroed both suppressed and unsuppressed. Got home from the range after everything was zeroed and the darn Fastfire was loose on its mount when I pull it out of the case

So I tighten every blanking screw on the rail, mount, and Fastfire and head to the range again. Pleasantly, the unsuppressed zero was dead on without having to mess with it. I removed the thread protector and attached the suppressor - however I failed to notice the tiny little washer Ruger uses behind the thread protector was still stuck on the muzzle.

So the next thing that happens is a tight, consistent group but in a totally different place - and one of the shots is a long lengthwise tear through the paper that looks suspiciously like the bullet might have nicked the baffle and tumbled. I wrote it off to maybe two shots being very close to each other and looking like a tear. So I ripped off two more mags and got the same group shift (no more weird impacts though).

So before I start making major adjustments in the zero again, I decide to try it unsuppressed. As I'm looking for the washer to put the thread protector back on, I realize it is still on the muzzle. I get a sick feeling in my stomach and disassemble the suppressor - which is a pain without any tools as it is carboned up and sticky. I finally get it done and thankfully, no baffle strikes - everything looks OK. I then get it put back together and on the pistol correctly.

I shoot at the target and 10x with the suppressor mounted. Almost the same exact zero as the unsuppressed group. Finally! I decide to run a few mags through for fun and blankety-blank, if the group doesn't shift down 3" but stay tight. Turns out the suppressor has worked loose a few turns and now it needs to be retightened

I finally get everything working and am on my last two "fun magazines" and the front sight is backwards on the gun. It is also held in by a screw - which has also come loose and allowed the front sight to rotate freely.

It is great fun when it is all working right; but it sure has been a pile of frustration compared to the reliability and lack of issues from of my "serious" firearms.
Old September 12, 2015, 08:53 PM   #47
jmstr

I think this is now my favorite Ruger Semi .22: MK II Government Target

This one is also fun: MK III upper on MK II lower [to maintain magazine interoperability].

Although I can't be sure: I like my 22/45 a lot as well, but don't have a recent pic for you.
Old September 14, 2015, 05:54 AM   #48
IKE

I've got three blue MK I's that I purchased new back in the mid 70's that for the most part have gone pretty much neglected for many years but that has all changed since my retirement April 1st.......I've been going to the range a couple times a week shooting them and other guns I have now that the time is available.

I've got a 4" pencil barrel (stamped 200 th year)......a 5 1/2" bull barrel with adjustable factory rear sight...... and a 6 7/8" tapered bull barrel also with factory adjustable rear sight.

All three of the MK I's like Wolf Match Target standard velocity ammo more than anything else I've tried in them........thankfully I've got a really good supply of the Wolf MT built up.
Old September 14, 2015, 06:43 AM   #49
DMZX

Ruger Mk's. They don't wear out and folks tend to hang on to them.

My favorite is a standard MkII I purchased in the early 80's. I added some Ruger wood target grips. 30+ years and about 10,000 rounds. It has aged nicely.