The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 11:36 PM   #1
OkieCruffler

First day out with the Citori

Really putting the effort into liking this gun, I must learn to shoot an O/U like the rest of the civilized folks. First off, I do like the way it snuggles into my shoulder. I know the short stuff is out of favor but those 26" barrels end just where I'm used to them ending so that was a no brainer. Got to the range early and they were setting up for a quick game of 5 stand sporting clays. Granted I haven't shot any kind of clay in about 6 months and 5 stand isn't my game but I was worried at the end. 42 rds to hit 12 targets. Gun was flawless other than shooting in a different zipcode. But maybe it was just me.
Hit the skeet field with a group of new shooters and one of the veterans. Turned out to be a good thing because as he was explaining the game to them he was reminding me of some things I had forgotten. Eked out a sad 17 but was definately shooting better toward the end. Shot one more round with a couple of the vets that went much faster. Was shooting much better, follow thru was much cleaner. Managed a 21 (danged low 8 still just eats me lunch). So a tad under my normal average with my beloved 311 but passable. One thing I noticed after 100 rds. That Browning buttpad is hard. Even with my reduced 3/4 oz loadsit left a pretty good bruise which is not good for me. Swapped the pad for a limbsaver today that should take some of the sting out of it. Who knows, I may just learn to like this one. That'd give Dave a kick.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Virginian

Good luck. I guess I am just uncivilized, because O/Us are just not my cup of tea. I had a lovely Beretta, and it did fit, but I could never shoot worth a darn with it, so I finally got rid on it. I failed to see all the supposed advantages. I think it was the SxS lover in me fighting back.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
BigD_in_FL

You should not be getting bruised - this might be indicating a fit issue.

As to low 8. i used to shoot skeet before sporting clays came along, and every once in a blue moon a friend will convince me to shoot a round. I USED to hold right on the corner of the opening, then I had to move to the corner of the house. now i need to hold at the end of the white paint on the safety fence - about 10 yards away from the hole!. But it works.

See if some of your buddies can help with your fit as to where you are mounting the gun. A Browning typically weighs about 8#, and with 3/4oz loads, there should be NO bruising unless you are on some serious meds that make you bruise real easy, so it may just need a little tweaking to fit your build.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:26 AM   #4
BigJimP

Take the gun to the patterning board....to check point of impact ( not pattern) to see where its shooting....

but with the bruising, it sounds to me like the gun doesn't fit you very well...you should not be getting beat up. It might be as simple as a little more length of pull ...or some type of a comb pad to level out the angle on the comb...hard to tell / but talk to the guys at your club - and see if someone can give you a hand -and come up with some solutions on adjusting the drop at heel and drop at the comb.

I'm a big Citori fan....but the standard field combs / on the Lightning series ( and the gun you have is the forerunner to the Lightning series )...but the standard angled combs have way too much drop at comb for me ..and they beat the stuffing out of me as well ....so I use an angled comb pad on that configuration - to change the angle so it slides under the cheekbones in my face...and I need about 1/2" more length of pull than is standard in Browning's "Field" O/U's...

But you can make that gun work with just a few adjustments..../ please don't just keep shooting it the way it is ....
Old March 5, 2013, 12:02 PM   #5
OkieCruffler

The gun fits fine. I have something going on that causes bruising and worst still clotting. They've never really figured it out but it's definately something autoimmune. About 6 times a year it attacks my joints and lays me up for a couple of days. This Browning actually doesn't affect me as bad as my SXS usually does. Truth be known I'm not supposed to be shooting anything from the shoulder but I've never been known to make good decisions and shooting skeet with my .410 contender is danged near impossible.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:37 PM   #6
BigJimP

ok, well just be smart about it ......and good luck !
Old March 6, 2013, 03:41 PM   #7
OkieCruffler

Luckily I know a healthcare professional . My doctors just hate me, but this stuff is happening regardless of what I do and I've decided that I'm just not wired to live in a bubble. Got a quick round of trap in with it today, shot a 22 which is alot better than my scores with the SXS.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Shoot the lightest loads that work for your shooting - for me, that is 3/4oz. (I shoot factory 1 or 1-1/8 for registered tournaments). This not only stretches the lead (533/25#), but is also a nice light push as opposed to a major shove with heavier loads
Old March 6, 2013, 05:17 PM   #9
OkieCruffler

3/4 is the load I use. I was loading a 1/2 oz but my scores dropped by 10 birds. No issues today and I was using Estate 1oz loads. Those linebacker pads really work wonders. Was thinking of looking at a mercury reducer but I hate to mess with the balance.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:20 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

Check out Ken Rucker's "Bumpbuster" or try adding weight via lead tape
Old March 6, 2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Bake

Step one for a new shotgun: Clean and oil.

Step two, and the hardest part: Take the new gun to the pattern broad and check the PoI. Then adjust the "cast" and "drop" to line up the PoA, and the PoI. I've been known to shoot a full choke at 25 yds, with my skeet load (1 oz. of #9).

Step three, and the best part: Take the gun over to the range and shoot 25 straight!

You wouldn't shoot your rifle at game without first "zeroing" your sights; would you?
Old March 7, 2013, 09:38 PM   #12
BigJimP

Use some golf club "lead club tape" ....put 8 oz under forearm...and 8oz in the stock ...../ put some blue painters tape on side of receiver before you add any weight - and mark the balance point ....then put the weight in, and move it fore and aft ...until the balance point is identical.

Adding just 1 lb will reduce recoil about 15-20 % so its a big deal !!