The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 10, 2007, 09:42 AM   #1
mfree

Little forewarning via device...

I was just wondering out loud a few moments ago (ok, no, it was in my head) about how I could better alert myself when I'm at home.

I've got motion sensitive floodlamps around the outside of my house, but they're positioned so no real light makes it through the windows. They're also getting old and not as active or sensitive as they could be.

Since I'm planning on replacing all of them, are there lights out there on the market that could perhaps interface by radio with a little chime inside? Say, if someone walked up my driveway under one of the sensors, when it pops on I get a pleasant but loud "BONG" on the chime unit?

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old January 10, 2007, 10:04 AM   #2
shield20

D O G.
Old January 10, 2007, 11:00 AM   #3
mjrodney

www.smarthome.com
Old January 10, 2007, 11:24 AM   #4
billy1258

I bought this thing at Radio Shack about 2 years ago.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rt&tab=summary

It is not as expensive as a full alarm system, but it gives me a audible alert inside the house when there is someone approaching the house. It seems like it is cheaply made, but it does work well and the batteries last a long time. I put the motion sensors aiming at my shed. Also, mounted one on a tree that aims the sensor at the back of my house. This way if anyone is along the back of the house, I'll know about it. They do transmit a good distance too, so you can install the sensors pretty far away from your house so you are warned of an intruder well in advance. If you don't have a dog, you really should have something like this.
Old January 10, 2007, 08:40 PM   #5
tony pasley

I use a set of motion sensors that have a reciever inside. It has 3 channels with different tones, 3 motions per channel with dry relay for other type of warning. More info P.M. me and I'll give you the web site.
Old January 10, 2007, 08:59 PM   #6
NCHornet

I think something as you describe would drive you nuts. My motion lights are constantly going off because of wind, dogs, deer etc... If I set the sensitivity any less it may to trip on a human. The driveway alarms work, and I have thought about getting one, but to be honest the above poster is right on, nothing better than an alert dog. I have a 100lb black lab, and although she is on her last couple years with bad hips she still alerts me whenever anyone is near the house.
Old January 11, 2007, 12:27 AM   #7
mfree

I should probably mention I'm somewhat allergic to... well, pets, particularly those that require more than one feeding and an hour of attention per day.

Someone's never home...

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old January 11, 2007, 02:13 AM   #8
kozak6

Some of the motion activated floodlights are too sensitive.

I've had some of them trip when I walk by a house that's across the street.
Old January 11, 2007, 08:39 AM   #9
Nortonics

Check out X10.com on their security lighting web page here:

http://www.x10.com/security/security_lighting.html

They have all sorts of inexpensive remotely controlled (via power line) lighting products - some RF controlled devices too. For instance some of their units will detect motion and light up the yard, but at the same time it sends a code across the electrical line to turn on a table lamp in the house that's connected to a module too. Or it can interface to an external alarm module, etc. There really is a ton of possibilities with these X10 controllers. Spend some time surfing around their site and I bet you'll find something, or a combination of a couple things, that would meet your need.
Old January 11, 2007, 12:35 PM   #10
mfree

Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll be picking up some X10 devices to replace the (broken) floods in the back yard.

Since the back yard is surrounded by a privacy fence and is really the only place on the house where windows are easily reachable, it's *quite* in my interest to know when someone's back there...

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old January 11, 2007, 03:16 PM   #11
News Shooter

I found a solar powered halogen light

with a motion detector. It's perfect for me, I'mm all thumbs
Old January 11, 2007, 07:34 PM   #12
tony pasley

These are P.I.R. motion sensors with adjustments so it takes a movemebt of size to trigger. To date only people,vechiles, and deer have triggered alert.
The site is www.optxamerica.com/wireless1000.