The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 10, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1
photoman12001

My new 4 5/8" stainless Single Six

I just got this guy off layaway today. I considered selling my Ruger MK678 MKII to buy it but I just couldn't do it. I did sell enough random stuff I had laying around to bail out my Single Six. I like it a lot and I'm anxious to shoot it.

The box is marked
Model: 00627
Catalog No: KNR4

I needed a single action in my safe.

Last edited by photoman12001; October 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2
FoghornLeghorn

Classic lines. Kongrats. She's a beaut.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
photoman12001

Next to the MK678 it almost replaced:

Next to one of my favorite stainless Rugers:

Last edited by photoman12001; October 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old October 11, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
mk70ss

Hell man, don't put that in your safe. Take it out and shoot the crap out it. Guns are tools meant to be used. Enjoy that beauty.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Hey question: Why do .22's have a separate magnum cylinder?

I would think it would be like the 38/357 thing.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
photoman12001

It's just a figure of speech. This will be shot, hopefully this weekend.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:46 PM   #7
photoman12001

I am not an ammo expert but as I understand it...

.38 Special & .357 Magnum have the same case diameter, the .357 case is just longer.

.22LR uses a heeled bullet in a straight-walled casing. .22WMR uses a bullet crimped into the casing and the casing actually tapers down slightly from the primer to the bullet so a .22WMR casing is slightly larger in diameter near the primer than at the bullet. Therefore, a .22WMR chamber is too big for a .22LR round. If you put a .22LR round in a .22WMR chamber you'll notice it's not right.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
savit260

Quote:
Hey question: Why do .22's have a separate magnum cylinder?

I would think it would be like the 38/357 thing.
Nope, a .357 Magnum is just a longer hotter version of the .38 Special.

The .22 Magnum is longer , fatter, and taperd cartridge.

The .22 short, .22 cb, .22 long, and .22 lr (long rifle) will all fire in a revolver chambered for .22 lr. SOME .22 lr rifles will also fire all of these as well.

Edit: looks like Photoman beat me to it!
Old October 11, 2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

That makes sense. Sounds logical. Thanks.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

. . . and the Ruger is a real beauty! I love the stainless brush marks - classy.

(Thanks for allowing me to temporarily hijack your post.)
Old October 11, 2013, 06:16 PM   #11
photoman12001

Thanks, I do like the look of it. I've always considered buying a Single Six but never cared for the ones I've handled (5.5 and 6.5 inch versions). When I held this shorter one it just felt right. I guess these shorter versions are harder to come by, especially in stainless.

No problem. Threads are just conversations; I think they should flow naturally. I won't have much else to say until I shoot it anyway.
Old October 11, 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
ozarkguy

Photoman, I bought one just like it back in May of this year. These are Lipseys distributor specials. IIRC, they were first made for Lipseys back in 2002 or so. I think Ruger must make limited runs of this model for Lipseys every so often. I'd been wanting a stainless Single Six and when I saw this at the LGS in the 4 5/8 barrel length, I just HAD to have it! They handle so well.

Congrats on your find!
Old October 11, 2013, 10:10 PM   #13
photoman12001

Yeah, it is a Lipsey's Exclusive. I'm glad I lucked into it locally or I wouldn't have even known they exist. The models with longer barrels just feel awkward to me and I don't think I would have ever bought one.
Old October 12, 2013, 07:29 AM   #14
bedbugbilly

Very nice! You are going to love that Single Six! A SA revolver is nice . . . in any caliber! Anxious to hear how it shoots.

Fantastic photos!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 13, 2013, 11:27 PM   #15
photoman12001

I put a couple hundred .22LR rounds through it

I haven't used the .22WMR cylinder yet but shot quite a bit if .22LR through it over the weekend. While slow to manipulate it's really a blast to shoot. It's just a totally different feel from an automatic or double action revolver.

I swapped the factory sights for a fiber optic HIVIZ and Ruger V-notch rear insert. I really like this sight setup but as I expected for prior experience, the setup shoots too high. That V-notch just isn't deep enough and requires a higher front sight to allow a range of adjustment to move the groups down. With the rear sight bottomed out the gun still shoots too high. I kept the HIVIZ front sight and swapped back to the original rear insert. I'm happy with this setup for now but I think I'll try a set of Williams Fire Sights on it.

The grip of a single action revolver definitely takes some getting used to. I found I really had to concentrate on my grip, trigger control, and breathing to get decent groups. So far I'm happy with its performance but I'll keep practicing. The trigger is heavy and I'm considering putting a Wolff spring kit in it.

This was the best six-shot group I got today. It was shot at 50 feet using an unsupported isosceles stance and Remington Golden Bullets. So far I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Old October 14, 2013, 01:04 AM   #16
ZVP

I have had a 6 7/8" Blurd Single Six for 20 years and it;s never missed a lick!
WHen I biught it we were shooting a lot of long range Ground Squirrels and the long barrel with the l/r cylinder is really accurate but with the Magnum cylinder and some good old Winchester H/P's it acts just like a rifle! Man those things hit HARD!
I have always wanted a short barreled version for carrying. The barrek length coupled withthe powerfull .22 Magnum cartrige would be such a neat revolver!
I hate to say it but I hate those Fiber Optic sights! They just don;t fit on a Cowboy Gun!
In Guns of the old West Magaxine, there was a really great article on a pair of custom built $" Single Sixes! The guys out a $1K limit on the projet and got some really nice revolvers outa the deal! They were fixed sight versions with custom barrels and were tackdrivers!
I like the adjustable sights but only the metal ones.
You are right the shorter barrels feel good!
I have a ,357 Cal $ 5/8 Vaquero and it just feels "right" with that barrel length!
I carry the Vaquero in a 1880s sholder holster. It feels right in any rig, cross draw, strongside or shokder rig!
Have fun with your new toy!
BPDave
Old October 14, 2013, 01:16 AM   #17
photoman12001

I know the fiber optic sights are a smack in the face of tradition but I have to go with function over form for the sights and those work well for me.

At least they're not Crimson Trace laser grips
I think those have been discontinued for the Single Six but that would be funky.
Old October 14, 2013, 01:53 AM   #18
Coyote Blue

A great looking gun. Thanks for the terrific pictures. I hope you have many years of enjoyment with that beauty.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old October 15, 2013, 10:32 AM   #19
Pahoo

Thanks for your excellent post !!!

Quote:
I know the fiber optic sights are a smack in the face of tradition but I have to go with function over form for the sights and those work well for me.
In this application, I don't see a problem. One of my older shooting buddies was having problems with his factory sights and I too replaced these with the Williams. I only wish we could have given him a choice on the light-pipe colors. ....

I notice you have a set of Talo's on that MK-II. Did this come that way or are they aftermarket?

I also note that you can partially see the last two digits are your serial number, on the end of this convertible cylinder. This question come up from time to time. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 15, 2013, 05:27 PM   #20
photoman12001

Both the cylinders that came with my Single Six have the last three digits of the serial number engraved in them. Those digits are also engraved in various other parts of the gun.

I decided I wanted the laminate grips on a new Ruger MKIII Target after I recently handled one at my local Cabela's. But guess what, Ruger doesn't sell the grips separately and there aren't many for sale on the used market. The last set I saw on eBay sold for $150

I wanted a set for my KMK512 MKII but had given up on finding a them. Thanks to a buddy's watchful eye I picked up a flawless set at a gun show for $65.

They come on Ruger's MKIII512TG pistol:

Here they are on my KMK512 MKII:

Old October 15, 2013, 11:02 PM   #21
boa2

I have the rare KNR4 "Liberty" Model, NIB(Only 300 made):

Old October 15, 2013, 11:24 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

I have one of the Super Single Six Convertibles (which is what I would call yours -Super for the adj sights, and Convertible because you have the magnum cylinder).

Mine is blued, 6.?" (whatever they were, 6.5? 6.875?) had it for anumber of years now. Great gun. Got it in the 80s, with the intent of using it for teaching my kids. Worked pretty good too. Taught them to work a bit for each shot.

Quote:
The .22 short, .22 cb, .22 long, and .22 lr (long rifle) will all fire in a revolver chambered for .22 lr. SOME .22 lr rifles will also fire all of these as well.
Actually, ALL guns chambered for the .22LR (Long Rifle) will fire all the shorter rounds, CBs, Shorts, & Longs, as well as Long Rifle cartridges. What many won't do is feed the shorter rounds through their magazines.

And semi autos usually won't cycle with the shorter rounds, even if they feed them ok.

For example, a tube magazine lever gun will eat them all like candy, even mixed in the magazine. A semi auto pistol will only feed the LR from the magazine, but can fire any that are single loaded into the chamber. A tube mag semi rifle will feed them all, but usually won't cycle semi auto with the lighter rounds.
Old October 16, 2013, 11:18 AM   #23
salvo

Congrats on the Single Six!
A few years back I bought a 4 5/8" Blue model, love that revolver!

It replaced the stainless Single Six I bought in the late 70's when I passed it on to my oldest Daughter. It was the first handgun I ever bought and has became a family heirloom. She loves shooting that gun and has gotten very good with it!

Here are some 6 shot groups at 25 yds with both of them.

Last edited by salvo; October 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old October 16, 2013, 03:53 PM   #24
Leejack

Can't beat the six!

Old October 16, 2013, 05:28 PM   #25
9x19

It is good to have choices.

In my hands the 4 5/8" feels best (in terms of balance) with the alloy frame of the standard blue model, while the steel frame of the stainless models feels best with the 5.5" or longer barrels.