The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2011, 04:36 PM   #1
markj

Mossburg O&U

I see a silver edition 12 ga for sale for a great price, how does this gun stack up? Anyone have one?
Old January 28, 2011, 05:11 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

I have heard bad things about the Silver Reserve Mossberg which it is importing from Turkey, but that may be an entrirely different weapon than the Silver Editon. When I go to the Mossberg sight, though, I only see the Silver Reserve mentioned.
Old January 28, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
BigJimP

Its not a great gun .....

I would put it in the list of less expensive / low volume shell / low volume usage ...potential O/U's ....with Remington, TriStar, etc ....but of all the guns in that under $ 700 category .... the TriStar is the only one sold with a 5 Year warrant /thru Cabelas. So if you're going to take a chance on one of these lower end guns ...I would probably recommend you look at the TriStar.

In general - there isn't much worth looking at in the O/U market below what Browning and Beretta / or maybe Ruger or SKB ...have on the market ...in that $ 1,500 price range.

Under that $ 1,500 price range in O/U's .... you have to be a smart consumer / and wonder about the stuff you can't see ....the quality of the steel, are the barrels "regulated" properly so they have the same point of impact ( or is one 10" different than the other ..) , how about the firing pins, springs, etc ...was it heat treated properly .....and on and on .... It isn't just about how fancy the wood is ....its what happens if you have a problem ... At least the TriStar has a good warranty ...and I doubt any of those other options have anything beyond 1 yr, if even that.....

In full disclosure - I do not own one / and I see a few of them at my gun club ...and they have issues. Some guns seem ok / but how do you know just looking at them -you can't.

What I do know in the O/U market - is both Browning and Beretta make a gun that will last for many generations / even in their lower end models. I have a variety of Browning O/U's with close to 100,000 shells thru them with no issues / not even a spring ....
Old January 28, 2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I have one, and I think BigJimP nailed it pretty well.

Early on, the biggest problem with these was firing pin breakage, but I believe that's since been resolved.

I really like the way the gun shoulders, but I realize that it's no Citori, and never will be. Trying to compare a high end O/U with these is apples and oranges.

When it comes to shotguns, I'm a low volume shooter, somewhere between 500 and 1000 rounds a year, and I've not had any problems, but you never know. If you shoot a lot, save and go for something better.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 2, 2011, 05:06 PM   #5
markj

Thanks, I am not a double kinda guy so your answers help. The gun is a 1968 he says for 300.00 I think I will pass. A neighbor heard I like shotguns and is selling me his old ithaca pump for 200. It is in near perfect shape no scratchs or rust.
Old February 2, 2011, 09:01 PM   #6
PetahW

FWIW, in 1968, the only shotguns Mossberg was making were bolt-actions and slide/pump actions.

Mossy has NEVER made their own O/U or SxS double shotgun - and is only having their name stamped onto the Turkish Silver Reserve series of O/U's.

I've never heard of a Mossberg Silver Edition, in ANY config, beit pump/autoloader/bolt/whatever.................

Old February 2, 2011, 09:21 PM   #7
oneounceload

Were their guns from 1968 made in Turkey? Or maybe somewhere else?
Old February 3, 2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A Mossberg O/U made in 1968 would be a Pedersen. Imported by them,labelled by Mossberg and made in Spain, probably by a now defunct firm called Aramberri.

I had one, briefly.

IMO, give it a pass......
Old February 3, 2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Smitty in CT

[tangent]Pedersen Custom Guns was started by O.F. Mossberg in 1973 and closed it's doors in 1975, they sold upgraded versions of their U.S. made shotguns and rifles, they imported O/U's & SxS's from Beretta (BL-4 & GR-4, respectively) and from Aramberri in Spain, they added high polish, deep blueing, and nice walnut...

They were trying to compete with the Remington and Winchester "Custom Shops" and quicly found out that upgrading these guns a little, cost a lot.... They earned their reputation for offering "more gun for the money" and folks weren't ready to spend "big money" (for the day) on a Mossberg.

The Pedersens are becoming more and more collectable....
[/tangent]

To the OP, regarding the "Silver Reserve", I won one of the Ducks Unlimited 12GA/20GA combos, it was a "decent" gun, it shot where I pointed, but I sold it and bought a Beretta....

The only comliment I can give them is.... "They're better than they used to be"

When they were in the $400 range, they were an OK "value", now that they're closer to $600, well....... there are much better guns out there for the money. For example, a Beretta Essential http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=214254544

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton