The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2010, 10:43 AM   #1
sserdlihc

Had a great visit with my reloading mentor.

My FIL came into town last night. My wife, daughter and I stopped by my wife's grandmother's to pay a visit. It was really nice to sit around and talk guns with him. He was telling me about his new pet loads using IMR 4064 with Sierra GK bullets. We talked and shared alot of information. I explained that I have worked up some pretty accurate loads with IMR 4350. He doesn't care for IMR 4350 and prefers 4064. It is almost like talking football. You know, my team is great but your team sucks!! We talked about the Hornady case prep center. Well, he talked about it and I listened. He says it really cuts down on prep time. But I argued that it was expensive and I had plenty of time to do case prep with my manual tools. He argued I am older than you and I don't have as much time as you!

My FIL started me out reloading close to 18 years ago. I was very fortunate to learn from him and have hims as a mentor. Now he lives about 5 hours away which really sucks. Still it is great that I can sit around with my FIL and enjoy his company and knowlege.
Old November 20, 2010, 08:16 PM   #2
GP100man

Nuttin like good visits with Family !!!

Spend all the time ya can with em !!!!
Old November 21, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3
sserdlihc

I agree...if I like them. Fortunately, I like my FIL.
Old November 21, 2010, 10:48 PM   #4
jfrey

My FIL is my every Sunday shooting buddy. I load 'em and we both shoot 'em up. He pays for half of everything. He is a great guy. It's our way of clearing the mind after a rough week. At 78 you wouldn't believe what a good shot he is.
Old November 22, 2010, 09:52 AM   #5
sserdlihc

My FIL is 55. We use to shoot and fish when he lived here. Now, not so much.
Old November 23, 2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

My Father In Law is the one that got me started shooting again ( shot a little as a kid, but got too busy & kinda gave it up as I got a job & became an adult ), then introduced me to reloading, & then groomed me to take over his gun collection... unfortunately, I met my wife later & her mom & dad didn't last longer than 10-12 years after we were married, so there was so much that I didn't get to learn from them... after my father in law died, I became friends with one of his buddys a tool & die guy... several years have passed, but I became great friends with this guy, he's been building guns & reloading all his life & has retired several years ago now, but we still talk once or twice a week about old guns he's working on ( sometimes there mine ) & reloading ... it's going to be a sad day when my buddy dies, he's been machining on guns for almost 50 years... alot of knowledge is going to go to the grave with him... it's too bad his kids didn't pick up his fondness for shooting, guns, machine work or reloading... between the two of these "old guys" they've got me loading for over 50 different cartridges...

... seems like time & the transfer of knowledge has been favorable to me... I've got a small group of friends that I've started mentoring on reloading... it really is a hobby that seems best to have a mentor available...
Old November 29, 2010, 06:28 PM   #7
RustyNut

I just lost my FIL. We spent a lot of time hunting, fishing, and just shooting the breeze. I miss him as much as my Dad.