The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 21, 2007, 09:12 AM   #1
ZeSpectre

Hunting Jackets

Yes I admit it, after 40 years I'm going deer hunting for the FIRST TIME.

Now I camp/backpack a lot and have a lot of good, layered, clothing sets that will get me through just about any conditions. The problem is that my outer "shell" layers are all some variation of synthetic and to be honest they are noisy.

I would really love some suggestions for a QUIET but TOUGH outer shell to wear over my insulating layers. So what do you think, just a carhart jacket or something?
Old October 21, 2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Rembrandt

It's a trade-off......Carharts can be noisey but extremely rugged. Softer fabrics are quiet but pick up burrs like a velcro suit.

I've given into the softer materials and live with the disadvantages. Also prefer the type that can be changed to display hunter orange when needed or be completely camo.

Old October 21, 2007, 10:15 AM   #3
buck460XVR

Rembrandt is right, most Carhartts altho rugged, warm and wind resistant are quite noisy in the brush. Fleece tends to be quiet and water resistant but is like a bird dog when it comes to pickin' up burrs and sticktites. I actually used a dog slicker brush to get the damn things outta my fleece outerwear years ago. Nowadays most outerwear companies make a good soft fabric that is slicker and less prone to pick up pesky weed seeds and get hung up on brush. I'd check out the sporting good store and see what they have......and save the Carhartts for work......or ice fishing.
Old October 21, 2007, 11:31 AM   #4
fisherman66

It's impossible to hunt deer without a ghillie suit. Ever wonder why our forefathers were so skinny.
Old October 21, 2007, 02:35 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Kind of a tangent: One hunting jacket/coat I bought last year has a small slit or hole in the center of the upper back (with a flap to keep wind out), which allows your tree stand harness strap to go through from right where it attaches to the harness itself, so that the strap doesn't have to come all the way up and out your collar's back, which prevents the strap from torquing on your jacket and pulling it back, and thus pulling the top of the zipper in the front into your throat, when/if you fall. Thought it was a neat idea, so bought it and used it. I believe it's a Rocky brand jacket. Was reasonably priced, and the softer less-noiser material as well - you might check out the Rocky products.
Old October 21, 2007, 06:52 PM   #6
ZeSpectre

This is some good stuff guys. Thanks!
Old October 21, 2007, 09:10 PM   #7
Mainah

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who took up hunting at forty. What kind of conditions are you hunting in? Warm, cold, dry, wet, etc...?

I found that a good thermal base, a chamois shirt, carhartt jeans, and my blaze orange worked most of the time. You'll be surprised at how much more adrenaline you have while hunting, and how warm it'll keep you.
Old October 21, 2007, 09:33 PM   #8
ZeSpectre

I'll be hunting in Southern Virginia. Normally I'd say cool and dry for this time of year with the potential for surprise light rains. Normally. This year? Probably 90 degrees and 80% humidity the way things are going.
Old October 21, 2007, 11:11 PM   #9
Mainah

I was bird hunting in Central Maine yesterday, it was strange weather for October, muggy and high sixties. I had a light wicking base layer, pants, and shirt. I was sweating after a couple of miles.

I don't know the laws in Virginia, but if you need blaze orange I'd invest in a long sleeved wicking blaze top.
Old October 22, 2007, 05:43 AM   #10
ZeSpectre

In VA we're supposed to have blaze orange that can be seen 360 degrees and is "such n such" total square inches (forgot the measurement). Basically a blaze orange watchcap or baseball cap meets the requirement.
Old October 22, 2007, 06:49 AM   #11
Charles S

Quote:
In VA we're supposed to have blaze orange that can be seen 360 degrees and is "such n such" total square inches (forgot the measurement).
Probably 400 sq inches...that is sort of the standard between departments.