The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 23, 2001, 04:28 PM   #1
johnwill

H&R self-loading Pistols (guns of the day)

Here is a matched set... well, kind of a matched set. A .25ACP and .32ACP H&R self-loader

Old July 23, 2001, 09:01 PM   #2
Archie

Very nice.

If I could collect anything, it would be U. S. made .32 automatics from the early part of the last century.

I have a 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol in .32 ACP. Just like Philip Marlowe......

Others are the Remington, the Savages, maybe even an Infallible.

Oh, well. Good for you.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 23, 2001, 10:00 PM   #3
johnwill

Archie, I almost hate to admit this, but I have I have the 1903 Colt in .32 ACP, the Remington Model 51, the Savage 1907 & 1917, and the Warner Infallible. The early 1900's mouseguns are a hoot, and there are so many that I'll never get bored collecting them!
Old July 23, 2001, 10:06 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

H&R autos with unbroken grips!!!!!! Wow!

Jim
Old July 24, 2001, 04:05 AM   #5
BigG

I think they're Webley and Scotts with HR's brand on em. Like a Sears refrigerator made by GE.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 24, 2001, 04:29 PM   #6
johnwill

The .32 H&R is like new, probably 98-99%. They do look a lot like the Webley, though I think most of the Webley semi-autos have an exposed hammer. Perhaps H&R just lifted the design and modified it enough to call it their own.
Old July 29, 2001, 10:29 AM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

H&R Automatic Pistol: .32 Cal. which while based on the Webley, had no precise Webley counterpart. it had an internal hammer lock, a bridged open-top-side , and extended slender barrel, and a short grip safety behind the butt. It also used a coil patern recoil spring instead of the Webley V spring. This pistol appeared in 1913, with production continuing until the early 1920's.

The Auto pistol, above photo: Mfg'd from 1910 to 1914 under licence from Webley & Scott (q.v.) though differing in minor respects from the British made prototypes. It was also hammerless using an internal hammer, and the differences in the lockwork of the H&R versoin was probably due to mfging convenience.

HJN

Last edited by Harley Nolden; July 29, 2001 at 03:27 PM.
Old July 29, 2001, 01:11 PM   #8
johnwill

Thanks Harley, I knew they were similar to the Webley, but I didn't know how much they borrowed from them. I have my eye out for a Webley too, would be nice to put it next to the H&R for a contrast.
Old July 29, 2001, 02:58 PM   #9
BigG

Notice how the 25 has the bbl stub factory set up to take an evil silencer!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 29, 2001, 05:37 PM   #10
johnwill

Oops, you're right. I forgot to take out the supressor and put it in the picture!