The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 15, 2001, 10:25 PM   #1
Guyon

Any range reports on those new 1100s?

How about it? I know that a number of you wound up with a Wal-Mart 1100 because of Dave McC's post. As for me, one is on layaway, and I'll pick it up in about a month. Just curious how they've shot...

Also, I asked this question in another thread, but got no answer. Is the Remington 1100 safety the same as the 870? What I mean is: is it the same part?
Old July 16, 2001, 09:21 PM   #2
johnbt

It works just fine.

As I posted earlier, after cleaning the shotgun I shot a box of 1-ounce number 8s and had the bolt lock back on the second shot. The rest of the box went smoothly. The pattern with these shells was nearly 60% above the point of aim.

All in all, I'm very pleased. I even like the recoil pad.

Last week, I shot 2 boxes of Federal Top Gun Target Load (1.125 oz. of number 8 shot) and 2 of Federal Gold Medal (1.125 oz. of 7.5) No ejection or feeding problems and the patterns still look good (and no I still haven't counted the holes. Later maybe.). Seems to be good ammo for $3.99 a box.

Hope you enjoy yours, too.

John
Old July 16, 2001, 10:53 PM   #3
Gary H

1100 / Rem STS Target: 11/8 Oz // 2 3/4 Dr. Eq // #9

Amy, my wife, used her 1100 for the first time. The hull didn't fully eject on the first three attempts. Last night I broke the gun down and gave it a good cleaning and lube, so these failures were not expected. Remington told me, prior to purchasing the 1100, that 2 1/2 Dr. Eq. should cycle just fine. I doused the action in oil and reduced the number of failures to eject. There was only one in the next forty-seven shots.

I'm guessing that the action will loosen up with time. Anyone else want to chime in on this one?

Anyway, Amy's first time using a shotgun was a real blast for her. I was worried about recoil on her 4' 9 1/2" / 85 pounds, but she didn't even notice the recoil. She could barely lift the gun during dry runs, but was a champ when the adrenaline was going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amytrap.jpg (16.1 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Gary H; July 17, 2001 at 10:15 AM.
Old July 17, 2001, 07:53 AM   #4
Clemson

Clean the magazine tube of the 1100 with Break Free CLP. Wipe it off with your hand so that a thin film remains. Reassemble. The CLP actually evaporates, but it deposits a film of teflon on the tube. Remington cautions against using oil on the tube, but a Remington Warrantee Shop enlightened me on the CLP and told me that it was not considered "oil!" In addition, the CLP is a good rust preventive product and a good lubricant.
Old July 17, 2001, 08:32 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guyon, I believe it is. Also, the 760 and 742 use the same setup, TTBOMK.

Great pic, Gary, li'l shooter, big gun, big grin. Thanks for the morning chuckle....

Bet that a few hundred rounds down the road, that 1100 will be flawless in operation. Most guns need a breakin period...

CLP(Cleans, Lubes, Protects) is one of the best products around,IMO. The Gun Gurus over on the Shotgun Report state 100s last longer and do better when shot "wet". They like CLP also...
Old July 17, 2001, 10:02 AM   #6
BigG

I assembled my 1100 after looking down the barrel to make sure no obstructions and fired about 8 boxes of target loads so far. All were single loaded thru the ejection port and closed with the button. No malfs, except I did miss some birds on the clay fields of the Lord.

Well worth the money.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 17, 2001, 11:19 AM   #7
Guyon

Yeah, Dave, Shotgun Report has a link about Breakfree CLP: http://www.shotgunreport.com/Articles/BreakFree.html

More than you'll ever need to know about this product. It is good stuff. I use it on everthing but barrels; for some reason (habit?) I still put RemOil in barrels.
Old July 17, 2001, 12:02 PM   #8
Ledbetter

Mine works great

I cleaned it well before firing, removing all packing grease from the parts. I used Rem Oil spray, as recommended in the manual. I happened to have some on hand. It's all I use on this gun now, except bore cleaner. Mine is tight and well-fitted and finished.

My first shot, fired from the hip with the stock unsupported, did not eject the empty, I guess because no shoulder support=no recoil. Since then I've shot the gun around 200-300 times with two failures to eject that may have been ammo or cleaning related. A friend of mine also used the gun for 75 additional rounds with no problems.

Good deal, and we all owe Dave McC one for the heads up.
Old July 17, 2001, 02:20 PM   #9
BigG

What? You read the manual? What kinda GUY are you?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

Old July 17, 2001, 04:15 PM   #10
Ledbetter

D'oh!

My secret's out: I read and follow the manual's instructions for cleaning, lubrication and assembly of firearms.

Shoot enough recoil springs up your nose and you will too. Don't bother with the parts of the manual that start: CAUTION or DANGER These contain hazardous misinformation.
Old July 18, 2001, 10:10 PM   #11
MiniZ

I shot mine tonight. After 3 rounds of serious trap with my 1100 trap model, I broke out the "Walmart special". The gun functioned flawlessly, however I can't say the same of my operation of the gun. Going from a trap gun to a field gun is not conducive to good scores(at least when you aren't familiar with one of the guns).

Zane
Old July 21, 2001, 05:50 PM   #12
Gary H

Amy shot hers last week and I shot mine for the first time this week. In fact, it was the first time I shot clays. Wow, it was fun. Amy actually did a bit better than me. I changed her gun around; opened up the choke (Imp. Cyl.) and used a Fiocchi box top as a spacer at the toe of the pad/stock interface. Soon as the spacer was in place, she went from shooting high to breaking clays. She was hitting about 19 of 25.

My 1100 shot the Remington STS Light Targets and the purple Fiocchi Trap loads with no problem, but the Winchester Super Speed loads would not extract. They also kicked a good bit more and only had 7/8 oz. of shot. The extractor would lock on to the brass, but it would then freeze. I had to remove the barrel to get everything cleared. After the fourth time I gave up on these. It was as if the diameter of the hull was out of spec. Amy's 1100 was having extraction problems with the STS last week, but was a champ this week.

One last item. We visited Wally's World after shooting. Picked-up a couple of cases of STS. While there, Amy was playing with a 20 gauge 870 Youth. She much preferred the feel to her cut down 1100. She doesn't seem to be recoils sensitive, but I didn't like the 21" barrel. The "Youth" would still need to be cut about one inch, so we bought a full size 870 ( 20 ga.) with 24" barrel and I'll cut it to length. I think that the extra one inch (12 3/4 LOP) on the 1100 is causing her problems. She must pre-mount the gun and even then it catches on her rather overly endowed chest. Which, by the way, I also try to do whenever possible.
Old July 21, 2001, 09:24 PM   #13
PWK

I finally bought mine yesterday at WalMart. It had been priced at $369.00 for weeks and never seemed to come down. I figured my luck was going to run out so I went ahead and decided to buy, when the cashier scanned in the gun low and behold if the price didn't come up $328.00. I had asked the clerk if they were ever going to drop the price to $328.00 just before I bought it then he rang it up and there was the lower price. Only trouble was that the display model was the last one and the box didn't have either instructions or the extra chokes. Well I downloaded the manual from the Remington site and went and bought and Imp. cyl. at Academy for 12 bucks so I am still way ahead. Cleaned it well then took it out today. It functioned flawlessly with Remington Heavy Dove 1 1/8 oz but wouldn't eject the Winchester super speeds. I think once it gets broken in a bit it will start cycling the 7/8 ok. I like it, points and swings real easy.
Old July 22, 2001, 04:45 AM   #14
BigG

I'm no expert but I thought 1 oz is the standard minimum 12 ga load. 7/8 oz must be something that you have to look for, like a 16 ga load.

Most of my cheapie tgt loads are 1 1/8 oz, IIRC.

Old July 22, 2001, 08:13 PM   #15
PWK

BigG
The 7/8 oz is a standard Winchester load that is high speed, that is 1350 fps. Right now they are available at WalMart for $29.80 per case. At less than 3 bucs a box it's one heck of a good deal. They were reviewed over at Shotgun Report and were found to be quite good. The next cheap target load I have found is the Remington Heavy Dove for $34.90 per case at Academy Sports. It is a 1 1/8 oz load.
Both are much easier to find that 16 ga. shells.
Old July 22, 2001, 11:58 PM   #16
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I do not recommend Winchester Super Speed (promo) loads. They cause malfunctions in my Winchester 1300 (20ga) and the patterns are very poor. At less than one dollar more, Federal field ammo works much better.
Old July 23, 2001, 03:33 PM   #17
Bruegger

I have run hundreds of shells – everything from the Federal 7 / 8 oz No 8s to S&B 00 Buck and slugs – through my Wally-World-special 1100 without a single hitch of any sort. Point of impact is slightly above point of aim, but basically dead-on for windage.

I keep mine greased up with Mil-Comm’s Teflon-based lube and protectant. Unlike CLP, the Mil-Comm product is NOT a cleaner; you have to clean with something else first and apply it to a squeaky-clean gun. I use CLP on everything else – this is an experiment. I’m happy with it to date…
Old July 24, 2001, 09:25 PM   #18
ljyang

Purchased one this past weekend. One left at the store after I got mine. Promptly went to the trap fields and shot a round of trap. 12/25. not bad for my second time shooting a shotgun, and first time shooting my new 1100. It gives me room to improve, and reasons to go and practice. Did have one FTE about the third or fourth shot through the gun. Had to loosen the mag cap and paritally pull the bbl from the receiver to loosen the bolt enough to pull back and eject the shell. No problems after that. I guess I should have cleaned it better than simply passing a few patches through the bbl and wiping the gun down, but I wanted to shoot it. Great gun, thanks for the tip. and if anyone cares, the only walmart in the DC area that has one in stock is in sterling at the dulles town center. I checked a bunch of other walmart stores in NoVA only to find them out of stock.
Old July 24, 2001, 10:03 PM   #19
Drundel

Gary H:

I took a friend shooting pistol with me a year or so ago. About the same frame as Amy, she is 5'2" and 100 with VERY small hands. It was fun to watch her shoot my 6" 686 and was a very good shot for her first time out.

PWK:

I live in Friendswood off Sunset. Did you go to the DU banquet there a while back?

I've been dove hunting since I was 7 and have shot just about everything under the sun through 2-1100s (1-LT20 1-12), 2-870 (1- 12 Wingmaster, 1-12 Super Express), A5 16, Fox 16 SxS, Aya 12 SxS, 390 12, and Nova 12.

Ammo has been Win 7/8 SS, Win AASC, Rem ShurShot, Rem. Heavy Dove, Estate Dove, old Peters, a few Federals in there too.

I always felt like I had a lot more cripples with the federals than any other brand. The old black hull Heavy Dove (white and green box NOT the orange and green box) would drop them very cleanly as would the Peters (which I still have a few boxes ). The Estate are on par with the green and orange Rem; they were ok. The SS would drop them very well at close ranges but didn't seem to have the distance. The AASC (1-1/8 of 7.5 @ 1300) are my favorite. They are a bit more pricey but knocked down just about anything I shot at with them. I found some German ammo I am gonna give a try, its 1-1/4 or 7.5 @ 1330 FPS! I have a box I tried out on our farm, damn it kicks! That in my Nova will wear me out after a few boxes, but it knocked the crap out of the water moccasin I shot at.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00
Old July 25, 2001, 07:50 PM   #20
PWK

Drundel, no it wasn't me at the DU banquet. I gave up hunting ducks & geese 20 years ago. I'm mainly into quail & dove these days and clay sports.
I am a member of the GHGC, a private shotgun only club, off McHard Rd. in Mo. City, don't get to go as much as I'd like. I'll drop you an email next time my sons and I go on a Saturday if you'd like to join us. We live over on the west side of Pearland near 288.
My 2nd oldest shoots the 7/8 oz SS with his 835 and never has had an ejection problem. He usually shoots around 18/25.
Old July 25, 2001, 08:08 PM   #21
Drundel

PWK:

I'd appreciate it. To be honest I have never shot "commercial" clays at all (including, skeet, SC, trap, etc). I've always be out with boys and a hand thrower. Funny thing is I was nationally ranked my fish year at A&M in 3 position small bore and air rifle.

I missed the DU dinner. I was helping my dad burn brush at farm and moved some hay, fun stuff in 100 degree weather.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00