The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 17, 2012, 03:02 PM   #26
Youngshooter

Loving all the posts in this thread. Gets me all hyped and ready for the upcoming season! We've been getting a lot of rain down here in central Texas and the deer I've seen so far have nice bodies already and it's only July. Cameras have some good pictures on them, and I hope everyone else is starting to see the same! I love seeing a buck and setting my sights on him before the season starts(not with a gun if that needed clarification )
Old July 18, 2012, 07:39 AM   #27
JimBobTX

South TX Deer

The deer are looking promising on the lease I hunt on too. Too bad I'm a guest on this deer lease and only shoot scrubs I'll probably just shoot one on my place this year. They've been moving across my place bigtime...tracks everywhere.
Old July 18, 2012, 12:03 PM   #28
Youngshooter

Y'all been gettin a lot of rain down near Victoria? We've been getting an insane amount up here in central texas considering the recent past in the summer! Love to see those bodies nice and fat for the summer. Can't wait to fill the freezer and eat some good meat at school. Cafeteria food is good, but my roommates and myself love some venison.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:44 PM   #29
Win73

Looks like I should have something to shoot at this season. That bare spot on the right edge of the picture is a salt lick. You can see my shooting house between the trees. From the shooting house to the deer is 75 yards.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old August 2, 2012, 07:27 PM   #30
WV_gunner

I'M more or less ready to hunt. But I need to change the scope on my gun. It messed up last winter and the crosshairs like to move on their own. But this year, I have 2 more guns I'm going to be using also, a 45-70 and a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel. Also the first year I get to hunt with my best friend, first year he's been legally allowed to hunt off of his family's land. Ought to be an interesting year.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:59 AM   #31
samsmix

Shell'sButt and I are sittin' on our customary scant dozen deer & antelope tags, and we might hunt elk as well, if we get the small stuff down early.

A pair of Remingtons, her M722 in .257 and my Custom M721 in .30-06, will do the lions share of the work, but I wouldn't bet against at least 2 whitetail getting shotgunned on the run.

I might take my doe speed goat with a sidelock .50, Mosin 91/30, or my Ruger GP-100....haven't decided yet.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?

Last edited by samsmix; August 4, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:59 PM   #32
Keg

Cool pic Double Naught....

Jack O' Conner...nice buck...out of velvet...
Old August 4, 2012, 03:05 PM   #33
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Been shooting my revolvers from 25 to 100 yards and am dialed in at all ranges but may have to give up on using my Walkers for deer. Still shooting way high no matter what load I use and the sights aren't exactly adjustment friendly. Looks like my rifle will get the nod for Black Powder season. I need to get my crossbow out for a little work out.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 4, 2012, 05:01 PM   #34
huntinaz

I'll be hunting deer Nov 9-15. Got the time off from work, I'll be getting paid to hunt deer this year. Life is good.
Old August 4, 2012, 05:10 PM   #35
Keg

huntinaz....me too.......

Quote:
dialed in at all ranges
Old Grump..I bet U are....
Old August 5, 2012, 04:21 PM   #36
PawPaw

We spent yesterday putting in feed plots. Our gun season starts the last week of October, but it's time to start doing things to get ready.

We went to collect feeders and I found that the squirrels ate a hole in my feeder. Plenty of time to get that fixed before I start feeding in late September, but it's a good thing I went to check. Less than 90 days and we'll be deer hunting in the Gret Stet of Louisiana.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 5, 2012, 05:47 PM   #37
arch308

My feeder has been running for weeks now, took the weedeater and cleaned up camp. I'm headed out there tomorrow to sight in a couple rifles and relocate a stand for bow hunting. Shoot, preperation is half the fun!
Old August 5, 2012, 09:48 PM   #38
Double Naught Spy

Man, PawPaw, your place looks drier than mine. I hope your food plot does well. We are holding off a bit before trying to put in ours.
Old August 6, 2012, 07:26 PM   #39
Win73

Quote:
"If you look through your scope and see your shoe, aim higher."
-- said to me by my 11 year old daughter before going out for hogs 8/13/2011
"From the mouth of babes." Obviously much to sage advice to have come from an adult.

But I just have one question. Who was going out for hogs, you or her!?
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old August 6, 2012, 08:59 PM   #40
JimBobTX

Awesome pictures of the deer. I finally got my feeder up. I can't wait to see what it attracts.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:12 PM   #41
BIGR

Stands have been up and I am waiting til early next month to set the feeders up at the deer lease. Corn is going to be high this year, but I am still feeding year round at the house here.

My first deer hunt this year will be late October with the black powder gun. I can't wait.
Old August 7, 2012, 06:01 AM   #42
BIG P

Been shootin yotes all summer,got the hogs thinned out,now the 25-06 is dead on @ 200 & the freezer is ready,Come on OCT.
Old August 7, 2012, 10:52 AM   #43
Saltydog235

8 days to go in some parts of the state. 28 for me in my area. Going to be hot, hot, hot but I'll b there with the Bug Tamer over shorts. Sure wish they'd come up with some snake-proof flip flops and bug tamer boots.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:42 AM   #44
tchunter

Here in Michigan the bow opener is october 1. My cameras have been out for two months so I'm going check them this weekend and plant a couple fall plots. As dry as it has been harvest should go a little faster so I can get out a little more. We've finaly got some rain the last couple weeks and everything is nice and green again. The deer I have been glassing look pretty healthy so far. I've seen a couple nice bucks in the last week but I'm pretty sure when season opens they will get their snorkle and hide at the bottom of the swamp for a couple months
Old August 9, 2012, 09:33 AM   #45
sc928porsche

OS tags for deer in Ca. should be here soon. Waiting for results of draws for elk in Id and Mt. That will bring me up to opening here for deer..,...no draw. Glad I have family all over. 300WM dead on at 200.
Old August 9, 2012, 11:55 AM   #46
Mayor Al

Got permission for wife and I to hunt neighboring Farm this year. He has 150 acres across the street from my 3 acre orchard. The deer live on his land (woods and corn fields) and stop by for dessert from my 40+ fruit trees and 3 huge Persemmon Trees older than me by a long shot.

Anyway, with a combined 8 doe and 2 Buck tags (and maybe a bonus spike tag), We will fill the freezer this year, without driving anywhere.
Old August 9, 2012, 02:14 PM   #47
LSnSC

I'll be in a tree next Wednesday afternoon, bow in hand. Two NICE bucks hitting the beans every afternoon within bow range. Been watching them with binos for the last couple of weeks.
Old August 9, 2012, 03:19 PM   #48
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Man, PawPaw, your place looks drier than mine.
Yeah, but it got rain the day after we planted and it got rain yesterday. More than anything else, we were playing around, killing a Saturday morning. IN another couple of weeks, I'll top-dress with nitrogen and replant the spots that aren't doing well. Then, as the weather gets cooler, I'll start broadcasting winter wheat and rye grass.

Hope springs eternal in a hunter's heart.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 10, 2012, 12:55 AM   #49
Mayor Al

Add to my Deer Season Prep list-

The Indiana DNR is hosting a series of 3 hour seminars on deer processing and butchering...and use of Venison in cooking. One of the sessions will be at the local (for me) Bass Pro Shop in early September. Wife and I made our reservation for the workshop today...no charge but space reservations requested. You can never know too much of what to do after the kill.