The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 26, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
awaveritt

Uberti 1866 Trapper in 38

My LGS has an 1866 Uberti Winchester Trapper in 38 Spl. I've been eyeing it as a CAS match gun to shoot Frontiersman with my Uberti 1860's.

Couple of questions: 1) Specs state this model's capacity is 10 rounds but one review says 8 recommended. Why? Is there an inherent feeding problem with this short weapon when you load the full 10? 2) Is the "trapper" model with 16" bbl a historically correct variant?

Any thoughts or shared experience with this rifle greatly anticipated. . .
Old June 26, 2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Jim Watson

1. I don't know why the catalog would claim 10 and a review say 8. Maybe the LGS would let you run some dummies through the action, or let you testfire, or offer a money back guarantee that it would run with the rated capacity.
2. All I have to go by is Flayderman, none of the Winchester specialty sources, but he does not show the Trapper variant until the 1892. For that matter, why do the repro carbines have 19" barrels while Winchesters have 20? And why worry too much about authenticity when you are not shooting .44 rimfire?
Old June 26, 2012, 04:12 PM   #3
awaveritt

Quote:
For that matter, why do the repro carbines have 19" barrels while Winchesters have 20? And why worry too much about authenticity when you are not shooting .44 rimfire?
Jim, I totally agree. I asked out of curiosity. I love shooting 38 special in everything, especially since I've started loading them with Goex. All the fireworks those rounds set off makes it historically correct enough for me!

As for barrel length, I'd prefer a 20" "short rifle" model, but the price seems right on this Trapper, so.....history be da%m#d

Tags
frontiersman category , trapper , uberti 1866