The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2010, 04:58 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ask the deer what bullet they fear the most and use them
I try, they just lay there with this glazed look in their eyes. It's weird.
Old November 25, 2010, 12:04 AM   #27
LSnSC

ibdecent,
"Premium" bullets are not necessary to kill a Whitetail. Take the money you spend on one box of premium bullets and buy 2-3 boxes of Sierras or Hornadys. You'll be able to shoot enough to learn to make a high shoulder hit and you'll never have to look for a deer again.
Old November 25, 2010, 09:35 AM   #28
Qtiphky

Shoot what you shoot best with

Bullets fail, bullets don't fail. It all comes down to shot placement. I love the Barnes Tipped TSX bullets. I love the Remington Core-lokts as well, used them for the first 26 years of my whitetail hunting. The only reason I switched is because I could. I reload now and enjoy that aspect of the shooting sport. I try different loads and different bullets and see what works well. I tried the Barnes because they were on sale at the time and I had heard good reviews about them. Will I pay premium prices for them when I run out, don't know, but I would not hesitate going back to the core-lokts.

Hornady, Remington, Winchester, Sierra, Barnes, Midway, Berger, they all make good bullets. All of them also make bullets that will fail. A flaw in the production process, too fast, too slow, etc. . . Bottom line, shoot what you feel comfortable with.
Old November 25, 2010, 10:13 AM   #29
farmerboy

!st choice for myself is: Hornady 165 SST's (30-06 & .308)
2nd is: Sierra's 165 gr. Gamekings
3rd is: Remington 150 gr. Core-loks
Old November 25, 2010, 12:25 PM   #30
dodge

You need to also consider the thickness of the jacket on the bullets. If the jacket is too thick then they won't open on a thin skinned animal such as deer. This is where you need a lighter jacketed bullet but not to the thiness of a varmint bullet which is designed to exploed on contact. I have always used Sierra Gamekings or Hornady bullets and as long as I hit them in the vitals I never lost a deer. Yes I may have had to track them but usually no further than 50 yards.