The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2009, 02:19 AM   #1
buffdriver

Questions about Lock-n-Load AP

Hi,

I've just ordered a lock-n-load ap press and am preparing a followup order for accessories. Could someone who has purchased a press recently please clue me in on the following:

1. Which rotor does the powder measure come equipped with: pistol, rifle, or both?

2. If I want to load up several primer tubes for an extended loading session, should I order the "primer tube" (Hornady part #398358) or the "primer pickup tube" (Hornady part #398356)?

3. I've heard of eject problems with 45 ACP using shellplate #1. If I order shellplate #45 instead, can I use it for 308 Win and 30-06?

Thanks for the info.

BuffDriver
Old February 11, 2009, 07:45 AM   #2
GoldenRoyBoy

Hello

Hello BD!
Congrats, you'll like the LNL!

WHat you fail to tell us is, which LNL did you order? The Progressive; or single stage? I'm assuming Progressive, since you mentioned the rotor. Are you/did you order the brass hopper system?

I own two of the LNL Progressives.

Regarding Rotor questions:
I don't own the auto brass feed system; preferring to operate my machines in stages. So, I can't answer your question. However, if my memory serves me correctly I think I recall reading where the system comes equipped with the pistol rotor? I never reload start to finish anymore with my Hornadys.

Regarding the primer tubes:
You'll want to order additional "pickup tubes". Of course they come in small primer, and large primer.A tip. Plan on labeling each tube as to small pistol, small rifle, large pistol, large rifle. And, for mag primers; if you use them. You don't want to mix up your primers.

Regarding Shell Plate #1, if you took delivery of your press within the last few weeks, and purchased new chances are you received the newly improve LNL. The ejection system has been recently updated by Hornady. I'd suggest useing the caliber specific plate because of potential alignment problems.

I came back to add:
If your machine has the looped wire lain across the top of the shellplate, you have the old model press.
Hornady will upgrade your machine for $90; but you must return the entire machine to them at your expense. No worry, the old design still works well for most of us out here.

I hope my suggestions help!
GRB

Last edited by GoldenRoyBoy; February 11, 2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: More info ---
Old February 11, 2009, 12:57 PM   #3
buffdriver

GoldenRoyBoy,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have ordered the AP progressive press. I wasn't clear about which part I meant. I am talking about the powder measure drum--there's one for rifle sized loads that allows a larger charge, and another for pistol loads that allows a more precise charge. I have ordered the pistol micrometer and am hoping that there will be a pistol drum with the press so that I don't have to buy that also.

I ordered from Grafs, and the press is listed as EZ-JECT, so I am certain that I have the new version. I was disappointed to hear of the problems with 45ACP using the #1 shellplate. I load a lot of 45, but I wanted to get double/triple use from the #1 shellplate for 30-06 and 308. It now seems that I must order both the #1 and the #45, unless the #45 will accommodate 308 and 30-06.

Thanks again,

BuffDriver
Old February 11, 2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Whisper 300

Buff,

If I understand the ? correctly here is my take. First, I have had the "old"style for over 2 years and am pleased as punch. Re: shellplate, don't know 'nothin 'bout different plates for the calibers you listed as I have one plate for the following: 45 ACP, 30-06,243 Win., 270 Win.
That one shellplate seem to work masterfully for all.
Re: primer tube The "pickup tube " is just that you need only one for large and one for small primers as all it does is pick up theprimer foo the flip plate and stack them in the tube to be transferred to the primer tube on the reloading platform.
You really only need one of each of them Lg and Sm too as all you do is pull the clip pin out of the bottom of the pickup tube once it is filled with primers of the appropriate size and is positioned over the primer drop tube..

If you are getting a new version of the LnL progressive you will have no problems with"wire" ejector either hold out to get the newer update or get Hornady's crimp die for the caliber giving you fits.
Only round to need it for me was the 9mm as 45's seemed to pop out as designed.

Feel free to add or amend your question if I did not fully explain myself,\.

Gary
Old February 11, 2009, 01:49 PM   #5
bear300us

Congradulations on your new loader Im sure you will love it,I got mine last year an it came with the rifle rotor an adjuster.I had to purchace the pistol rotor an micro meter adjuster.I only have the primer tubes that came with it,it would be nice to have a few more.if you do a search on this form for lnl ap you will get a lot of good info.I highly reccomed the powder cop dies,powder through expanders an the taper crinp dies,
I would make sure I was getting the new press,Im thinking of having mine converted if your buying shell plates you have to know witch loader you have the old style plates will not fit the new loader,but the new will fit the old style they say.
I think #45 is only for 45s
Old February 11, 2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Whisper 300

Buff,
Forgot about your ? on rotor.

I simply use what came in the set up assume it is rifle as I can drop quantities large enough for the 06 and down to 5 to 8 gr. for light pistol loads without problems.

I check appx one in 20 or so as I am loading and measure seems to hold quite nicely-as well as RCBS Uniflow .

Once you get the powder measure set up, finger tighten the knurled nut and you should be good to go. Just check every once in a while to be sure-good reloading practices dictate this anyway.
Old February 11, 2009, 02:04 PM   #7
GoldenRoyBoy

Your powder dispenser ---

Hello again BD!
No worries, your powder dispenser comes with the different length bushings, or sleeves for different cartridges. I believe there is three various sizes. Actually, the drum (there's only one to my knowledge) is the same for both pistol and rifle. You can buy the micro adjusted metering plunger; but IMO it's a waste of time. Ask me how I know; I have one I could have sent you!

Yes, the EZ-Eject is the latest.

Did you know about the 1000 free bullets promotion? You can visit Hornady's site, if not. Here's the link ---

http://www.hornady.com/

As far as #1 shellplate being used for 45acp-30 caliber,yes; some of the various plates do come very close to fitting unintended calibers. Take plates 1 & 2 for example. Very close.

**This is interesting; the things we learn.
After discussing this shell-plate issue, I consulted my Midway Catalog. It's showing shell plate #1 to be used for 45acp-308-44 auto mag-45 auto rim-22-250-243-270-30.06, just to name a few! My book doesn't mention a shell-plate #45? There's a 44 & 46? Odd.

Personally, I don't fully reload rifle calibers on my LNL. In fact, I'm not much on reloading anything with a bottle neck period. I do resize-deprime-prime occasionally on calibers such as 45-70, 32-40, 38-55, and 50-70. But, I never charge, load a round in the same process. I'm not one to try and reload 1000 rounds a seating.

Good luck,
GRB

Last edited by GoldenRoyBoy; February 11, 2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old February 11, 2009, 03:04 PM   #8
blwnbwtie

I recently order myself a lnl ap also, still waiting for it to come off of backorder at midway. I skimmed through the instruction manual and it says that it now comes with both the pistol and the rifle powder rotor.
Old February 11, 2009, 10:45 PM   #9
DEDON45

I have had a LnL AP for about 7 months now; even if the newer one comes with the pistol and rifle rotor / inserts, you may still want to purchase an extra powder measure and Case Activated Powder drop upper assembly... changing the rotor in the measure is a real pain -- hence why I purchased an extra measure (you get 100 free bullets for it anyhow). I also recommend purchasing additional case activated powder drop lower assemblies (powder dies) for each caliber you plan on switching between, makes caliber changes much quicker.
Old February 14, 2009, 11:46 PM   #10
studerp

The new LNL comes with both the rifle and pistol rotors. I know this for a fact as I got mine about 2 months ago. I also got the #1 shellplate as at the time it was still listed as the one for .45. I also use it for .308 so I would have needed it anyway but I think I am going to get the #45 for .45 as I have a problem with it hanging up about every 10-15 rounds or so. It's not a huge deal but it is fairly annoying.
Old February 15, 2009, 12:47 AM   #11
buffdriver

I've had to split my order among three places due to backorders, but here's what I've got on the way:

Lock N Load AP Press
Case Feeder
Shellplates for calibers I load (2 still on backorder)
Small & Large Pistol and Small Rifle Feed Plates for Case Feeder
Powder Thru Expander Die for .357
Rifle & Pistol Micrometers
2 each Extra Primer Pickup Tubes for Small & Large Primers
Large Case Catcher
20 Lock N Load Bushings

Since I use a separate seat and crimp die, I plan to use the powder thru expander for .38 Special only, since the darn cases are so tall and the powder level so low that I can't see the powder and need to use my RCBS lockout die. Other calibers, I will inspect powder in cases before seating the bullet. I'm not a fan of having a powder measure insert for every load, so the micrometers will allow me to achieve repeatable settings quickly.

I found the #1 shellplate locally at Sportsman's Warehouse, and I load 308 and 30-06 anyway, so I bought it and will give it a try with 45ACP. The #45 is backordered EVERYWHERE now, so not really any choice.

I'm also hoping to put together a home brew vibraprime so that I can quickly load primer tubes. All of this is a major switch over from the RCBS Pro 2000, which is a really great press but I feel limited in speed and expandability. I was especially disappointed in the bullet feeder from RCBS. It's $375 from Midway with a dealer discount, and it won't feed lead cast bullets, only plated or jacketed. I've also heard that the auto index upgrade (which is over $90) is jerky and spills powder when indexing. The reputation of the LnL as a smooth indexing press won me over.

My hopes are high for the LnL AP. I will post again once stuff starts arriving and I've had a chance to try it out.

Thanks for the good feedback on the things that I've asked about.

BuffDriver
Old February 15, 2009, 06:18 AM   #12
GoldenRoyBoy

More changes?

Obviously, either I'm behind the times, misinformed, or Hornady's made more than an ejector change on the LNL AP?

The #45 shellplate; a new addition?
I bought #1 years ago. Recently, visiting with a tech at Hornady, he referred to the #1 shellplate as being for 45acps. He never once mentioned #45.

And, when you say "rotor," I'm assuming all of you are referring to the powder drum itself? Hornady's schematic page refers to it as a "rotor".

Back in August of last year, I had ordered an extra table mount powder measure. It's identical in design to my very first Hornady LNL powder measure made 5 years ago; but of course designed for table top. It came with two "drop tubes". One, for smaller calibers; the other, large.

I'd also taken possession of a new LNL AP in August of last year. Again, with the exception of a grease fitting on the press's linkage, and spring change on the powder dispenser, my two LNLs are identical.

Interesting; keep it going!

Good reloading!
GRB
Old February 15, 2009, 11:33 AM   #13
buffdriver

Ironically, I think that Hornady's change to the new ejection system has fixed problems with the 9mm (as well as other problems with the ejection wire) but has created more difficulty with the 45 ACP. It is easily fixed, apparently, by purchasing a shellplate specifically designed for the 45 ACP.

I will give the #1 a try. There are those who claim that a good polishing can make it work reliably, but there's growing evidence that I will probably need the new shellplate eventually.

Cheers,

BuffDriver
Old February 15, 2009, 02:58 PM   #14
barryhud

backorder

My LNP AP was ordered from Midway Jan 7, they have changed the delivery date three times. The latest date is March 23, tenatively, their phrase. That is a long time, but what can one do, I can't whittle one out.
Old February 15, 2009, 04:22 PM   #15
Jung918

I ordered my Hornady LNL AP from Natchezss in February and received it a week later. What I did was get notified when it was in stock and ordered it as soon as I got the e-mail.

The only problem is that the shell plates that I need are all back ordered until march.

Does anyone know if the Dillion 650 shell plates would work on the LNL AP?
Old February 15, 2009, 05:58 PM   #16
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Dillion 650 shell plates would work on the LNL AP?
No; about the only thing they have in common is they each have 5 slots.

Andy
Old February 15, 2009, 06:49 PM   #17
alsmith

LNL AP 45 ACP plate

I purchased one of the new AP Progressive presses with EZ eject and received it the first week in January.

I also bought one of the new #1 plates to load the 45 ACP as this was the one listed by Hornady as compatible both on their website and in the paperwork that came with the press..

Unfortunately, about very 3 or 4 rounds it hangs up when ejecting the case. In addition the decapping die does not always line up properly.

Talked to Hornady and they said that I should use the new 45 ACP only shellplate.

No offer of a plate exchange, just tough that is the way it is. Hornady, indicated that the compatibility of the #1 plate for the 45 ACP, had been removed from the website, however, it was still there after I talked with them.

Also, most all of their popular shellplates and bushings are on long back orders at most Hornady suppliers.

I hear it is a great press, just lousy support from Hornady. My Dillon user buddies are having the last laugh.

Al
Old February 15, 2009, 07:17 PM   #18
GoldenRoyBoy

Hello Al ---

Are you saying you purchased, and are using the #45 Shell-plate, and are still having trouble?

I, for one have personally had problems with Hornady's CS; but they generally do a good job. I suspect whomever you spoke with did not understand your brand new #45 shell-plate was giving you trouble. You may wish to call them again, and make it absolutely clear.

GRB
Old February 17, 2009, 09:52 AM   #19
alsmith

Clarification on Hornady shellplate for 45 ACP

Let me clarify.

I bought the #1 shellplate, since that is the one that was listed on the paperwork with the new press and also listed on the Hornady website, at the time, as the shellplate to use with the 45 ACP.

I will be buying the new 45 ACP onlly shellplate in the future. I was "disturbed" that Hornady on the telephone call just said "that's the way it is."

Al
Old February 17, 2009, 10:28 PM   #20
DAdams

Can LnL AP parts and acessories be purchased directly from Hornady? Albeit at list price?

Is this perhaps why there is a shortage by most "discount" suppliers? Direct buyers get preference?

Also obviously the demand/interest in loading due to todays "issues".

I really wish Hornady would provide more "guidance" or "suggestions" for dies, bushings etc. ie. for loading a given round:

You must purchase
Recommended items
Nice but not necessary

ie "we recommend" the following, of course with the appropriate legal disclaimers.

Has anyone seen a Powder Cop advertised at Midway or Cabelas. I don't see any reference to it from any of the major online sellers.

Another item that has me confused is the following: I recently ordered three die sets for .38 spl, and .45 ACP, are there separate crimping dies necessary for each caliber then?

In general I found the instruction manual greatly lacking in detail, vague and really should have operational instructions and suggested items required for given calibers.

You know what would be shear genius...a freaking DVD for assembly and operational issues and step by step "care and feeding of"... Great moments in marketing.

One of these days I will get mine up and running but everytime I turn around I find I need some other mandatory item which is not referenced in the instructions and the lead time is 4-6 weeks.

Last edited by DAdams; February 17, 2009 at 10:37 PM.