The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 21, 2007, 04:38 PM   #1
roy reali

Safe Move?

Most of us know the correct and safe way to cross fences with guns. With two hunters, the guns are unloaded and one of the hunters holds them. The other fellow crosses the fence. The unloaded guns are then given to him. Now, that person crosses the fence.

Today we got into an interesting agruement about this. It involves break-open shotguns like side-by-sides.

If a double barrel shotgun is opened, but the shells are left in, can it then be safely passed to another when crossing a fence? I realize that technically, and I suppose legally, the gun is still loaded. But, I also contend that when it is opened, a break open shotgun is rendered innert.

What is your opinion on this? Is a opened, hinged action shotgun, with ammo in the chambers, safe to pass to someone across a fence?
Old October 21, 2007, 04:52 PM   #2
bswiv

We pull ours out and lay the gun on the ground on the other side of the fence.

With my pump I unload the chamber and shake out the round that pops out of the magazine when I unload the chamber. Then I leave it open and usually lay it on the ground on the other side of the fence.

In either instance it's only a few seconds to reload and go on our way. This may be overkill for safety, and I do realize that a lot of folks have guns that are nice enough to where they WILL NOT lay them on the ground, but it will keep anyone from getting shot.

And when it comes to gun safety in the field, anywhere for that matter, it's better to safe than not safe enough.................
Old October 21, 2007, 06:35 PM   #3
roy reali

Re:Bswiv

I agree with you that removing a couple of rounds from a double-barrel shotgun would take seconds. To replace them would be just as fast. I also realize that opening a shotgun and leaving the shells in the chamber is technically leaving the gun loaded.

On the other hand let us say you are bird hunting. Nature calls. You open your side-by-side, lay on the ground, and go visit a bush. You did not remove the ammo, but left them in the opened shotgun.

I contend that is a safe move. There is no way an opened shotgun will go off. I don't think so.

If anyway here has heard of an opened shotgun, with rounds in the chambers, going off, please let me know.
Old October 21, 2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'll never fuss at somebody who takes the shells out, but I've noticed that if any break-open gun is broken open, it can't go Bang!

Same sort of thing for my bolt-actions: If the bolt handle is up, nothing bad can happen. That's my preferred carry, as I've just never really trusted a safety...

Art
Old October 21, 2007, 10:03 PM   #5
CmpsdNoMore

Even if you have rounds in the chambers, isn't the action considered open when you break it?

Like someone else said, like having the bolt open on a bolt-action.
Old October 27, 2007, 06:07 PM   #6
humanoid

What happens if the gun is dropped? Isnt it likely to close creating a loaded gun? I would take the shells out. It would only take a few seconds.