The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 4, 2000, 05:29 PM   #1
VictorLouis

I just bought a Model 69RXL Series E. I posted about it in the SG forum; but, I felt that I may have a better chance here. The dealer guesstimated that it was produced in the 60's, and Savage would only refer me to their 'historian', who I must contact via snail mail.

It has a 6rd. tube stopping an inch short of the muzzle. The mag's end cap is held in place by the forward QD sling mount stud. It, in turn, is screwed into a base that seems to be welded onto/integral with the muzzle at 6 o'clock. Sort of a ramped front sight base in reverse. The walnut(?) forend has a single action bar on the left side connecting to a bolt(chromed?) with twin extractors. The safety is of a top tang design ala Mossberg. The action release is on the left rear of the trigger guard, where the safety would be on an 870.

Can you tell me the model year range it was made? Is it a fairly durable piece, or one intended for only light duty? Any idea on a value, assuming 98%+ condition? Thanks, VL.
Old December 4, 2000, 11:24 PM   #2
Steven Mace

VictorLouis, the Savage/Stevens Model 69-RXL was made from 1982-1989. This was basically a law enforcement version of the Model 67 slide action shotgun. In 98% condition it could be worth about $165. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old December 5, 2000, 02:26 PM   #3
VictorLouis

Thanks Steve. I didn't get 'taken', and with that backround I can assume it to be a durable shooter.