The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2023, 01:51 PM   #1
SixShooterBP

Ohaus 10-10

Just picked up one and it stinks of cigarette smoke. What would be a good way to clean it?
Old April 12, 2023, 03:08 PM   #2
ghbucky

I'd guess it is covered in nictotine.

I'd try wiping it down with window cleaner.
Old April 12, 2023, 03:40 PM   #3
jag2

Hmm, smoking while loading gunpowder, what could go wrong? Was this from an estate sale? Anyway, I think I’d try Lysol spray, maybe some alcohol on a cotton pad.
Old April 12, 2023, 04:00 PM   #4
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2 View Post
Hmm, smoking while loading gunpowder, what could go wrong? Was this from an estate sale? Anyway, I think I’d try Lysol spray, maybe some alcohol on a cotton pad.
This is the first time I have ever heard of a powder scale that smelled of cigarette smoke ... who smokes while measuring gun - powder .... I mean isn't that like Rule #3 in the Reloading Safety Rule book and might be Rule #1 in the Common Sense rule book !

Just goes to show ... when you think you've heard everything ... Whoop there you go ...you hear something new and dangerous .

I would wash everything gently in Dawn ... to get it clean , let dry and then treat with some Lysol deoderizing products . They have several ... maybe one that Neturalizes Odors .

This is a new one but if anyone knows a product that will leave the paint on the scale ...
Lets hear about it !
Gary
Old April 12, 2023, 04:09 PM   #5
SixShooterBP

Yeah, it’s a first for me as well. Stinks so bad I don’t think I could even use it in its current state. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old April 12, 2023, 04:25 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Dish soap and warm water.
If that doesn't get it all, the ammonia content of regular Windex should help.
Old April 12, 2023, 04:34 PM   #7
tangolima

It doesn't have to gun powder that the previous owner was weighing. Just air it out for a few days and you will get used to it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; April 12, 2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old April 12, 2023, 05:37 PM   #8
stagpanther

Kinda makes you wonder what they were weighing with it--powder and lit cigarettes not being an especially good combination.
Old April 12, 2023, 05:45 PM   #9
tangolima

Fancy tobacco perhaps, or something along that line.

-TL

Old April 12, 2023, 07:09 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Another possibility might be that no one smoked while weighing gunpowder, maybe the scale just sat on a shelf in a room where people smoked. Maybe it sat there for decades. "soaking up the atmosphere" so to speak.

Any of the common spray type surface cleaners should take care of the smell. Windex, Fantastik, 409, etc.
Old April 12, 2023, 08:44 PM   #11
SixShooterBP

I was going to soak it in dishwashing soap (Dawn) but wonder if Windex would be better. I just don’t want to damage the finish or beam.
Old April 12, 2023, 09:20 PM   #12
Sarge

Opticide is what you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Scienti.../dp/B079X66JLR
Old April 13, 2023, 08:44 AM   #13
Marco Califo

I would try 92% Isopropyl on cotton balls and Q-tips. That should dissolve the tar and you will see it coming off. Straight ammonia, or acetone are other strong solvents. If the surfaces are metal, those should not harm it. Start somewhere inconspicuous, like the bottom. Xylene is another stronger solvent, used to remove the tar sealant from Pull-down LC 7.62, is much less human lung/body friendly.
I walked into a barbershop once, and immediately back out, where the smell/stench/cloud indicated the barber(s) and customers all chain smoked. No one asked why I left. That may have been the only building/storefront without roaches and rats in that slice of Americana. A couple of years later the business was gone, and vacant.
Old April 13, 2023, 08:46 AM   #14
Marco Califo

Delete
Old April 13, 2023, 09:52 AM   #15
SixShooterBP

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give it a try. Yeah, can’t stand the smell. I have experienced it in motels with bed linen and refused to stay there. I’m thinking the scale must of sat in an area that someone smoked a lot.
Old April 13, 2023, 11:01 AM   #16
FrankenMauser

Just has to be a long-term indoor smoker's house, not even a heavy smoke room.
I have been in many houses that were smoked in for 40, 50, 60 years, where the tar and other smoke products are still seeping through new paint and running down the walls - even inside closed spaces like linen closets.
Old April 13, 2023, 11:22 AM   #17
SixShooterBP

Eww, that’s just nasty. Even the box it was shipped in reeked. Never came across anything like this before. And I have bought a lot of stuff over the years.
Old April 13, 2023, 01:09 PM   #18
armoredman

Wild, never ran into that before, and I have a lot of secondhand reloading gear.
Old April 13, 2023, 02:16 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Well, you've got tars and other smoke deposits on the equipment. You may have to strip it down so you get all the nooks and crannies clean. I would start the cleanup with odorless mineral spirits. Take a tissue and wet it with the stuff and wipe it along the base to see if you can pick up discoloration from the tar being dissolved. If so, I would just disassemble and soak the whole thing in a bucket with the mineral spirits.

If that doesn't work, use a sticky substance remover. Goo Gone is a good choice, as it is just citrus oils, whereas Goof Off and some others are strong solvents that are likely to damage the paint and markings on the unit, whereas Goo Gone will not.

Both mineral spirits and Goo Gone are non-aqueous so they won't cause rust. Both dry up completely when you wait long enough. Once the scale is clean, though, you might want to take a Gun Wipe or other firearm preservative and put a thin coat on everything except the knife edge and its mating recesses. For them, just letting the solvent dry off is adequate.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 13, 2023, 02:56 PM   #20
SixShooterBP

Awesome, will try some Goo Gone. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 16, 2023, 10:10 AM   #21
pete2

Be careful, the little grains, tenth is just glued on, mine fell off with age. Clean air will eventually get rid of the smell.
Old April 16, 2023, 11:25 AM   #22
FITASC

A little vinegar should work well as another option
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 16, 2023, 01:41 PM   #23
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
Be careful, the little grains, tenth is just glued on, mine fell off with age. Clean air will eventually get rid of the smell.
I bought an used rcbs beam balance, and it has this problem. I had to make one with masking tape and did calibration myself.

Airing it out will probably suffice to rid the smell.

-TL

Old April 16, 2023, 03:00 PM   #24
SixShooterBP

Just an update. Soaked it in a bath of warm water and Dawn. The amount of brown sludge that came off was crazy. Rinsed and soaked it again. Rinsed and then soaked in white vinegar overnight. Looks and smells much better now. Heck, looks like new! Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old April 16, 2023, 05:06 PM   #25
olduser

Post a picture so we can see the results. I for one like to see fine equipment.