The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Closed Thread

Old March 22, 2005, 01:29 PM   #1
coolcruiser

1911 failure to fire

My 1911 homebuilt was working fine except that the grip safety didn't function solidly. I built up the tang with weld and dressed the tang to engage the trigger...also installed a Pachmyer trigger. Here's my problem...the first round shoots fine, the second round loads, sets the sear and the hammer is fully back...pull the trigger-nothing- except trigger movement. The grip safety feels like it needs a little dressing...there is some gritiness. All safety and dry fire function checks are good....any suggestions?
Thanks
Coolcruiser
Old March 22, 2005, 02:35 PM   #2
1911Tuner

Ftf

Sounds like the disconnect isn't resetting. Check to see if it's binding in the channel, or increase the tension on the center leaf of the sear spring.

Try this:

Duplicate the sequence with a dummy or a snap cap on the second round. Remove the slide and see if the hammer will fall. Don't let it snap...Guide it forward. If the hammer falls, you probably need to scrape the slot in the slide a little deeper. If you hear a distinct "Click" when you release the trigger, that's also a clue that the slot needs to be a little deeper. Do NOT
file or stone the top of the disconnect.

If it doesn't reset with the slide off, check for gunk in the channel or insufficient tension on the center leg of the sear spring. Also possible that the trigger is getting it into a bind...but not as likely as the other stuff.
Polish the face of the disconnect and the trigger stirrup smooth. If you have to polish the top part of the disconnect that rides in the channel...remove as little as possible from the front. Don't touch the tip...the part that rides on the rail in the slide.
Old March 22, 2005, 07:55 PM   #3
Dave Sample

There triggers have a very beefy stirrup. Relieve the upper right corner of the stirrup. A little at a time please.
Old March 22, 2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Dave Sample

Tuner and his buddies are busy throwing rocks at me on a forum that I am not allowed to respond on.
I will turn this over to him and the other Anonymous Internet Experts. I am sure that he is the all knowing one here, too.
Old March 22, 2005, 09:07 PM   #5
Romulus

Quote:
I am sure that he is the all knowing one here, too.
This is just plain bitchiness.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old March 23, 2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Handy

But true.

Since we have several smart people about 1911s on this forum, I am unsure why 1911tuner feels he needs to bring his particular brand of "help" here, especially with him so busy beautifying THR's smith forum with his "moderation".
Old March 23, 2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Romulus

He's got info to offer and it's up to us to accept it or not...it doesn't justify Dave Sample's petty obsession with him

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old March 23, 2005, 03:53 PM   #8
Handy

If you want to read "petty obsessions", try some of the other boards he mentioned.

This goes both ways.
Old March 23, 2005, 04:10 PM   #9
1911Tuner

Well, gawrsh!

I guess that's whatcha get for tryin' to answer a simple question...

Anyways...Sounds like the disconnector didn't reset. Probably a weak sear spring or interference in the channel. It's usually somethin' simple...

Cheers...
Old March 23, 2005, 06:34 PM   #10
Dave Sample

Handy: I like to do all things in Moderation. One cigar at a time, one drink at a time, one woman at a time, drive one car at a time..................... shoot two guns at a time..........Thanks for the comments I dare not make since I am on my Last Chance here.
Old March 23, 2005, 06:45 PM   #11
Acorn

Dang it Tuner! There you go trying to help somebody in need. How inconsiderate.
Old March 24, 2005, 08:32 AM   #12
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Closed for Excessive Detriment to TFL's Signal-To-Noise Ratio.
Closed Thread