The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 3, 2023, 03:23 AM   #1
badmatrix

ATF approval and SS/FFL Involvement

I do not know the general scheme of things involving NFA. Generally, for me, last November 2022, I bought a suppressor from SS and filled out the forms and everything was done electronically to the ATF.

The suppressor is sent to your FFL at that time. They have it. I do not know if they keep it if you die in the meantime.

Anyway, the clock starts.

I was approved in July. It was the end of October when I happened to find this GD email buried in my inbox.

Apparently, SS has no idea what the ATF decides because SS did not let me know I paperwork was approved.

The same was true with my FFL. My suppressor sat in jail for an extra three months after repeated inquiries to both SS and the FFL in my area with a kiosk setup.

QUESTION: Is this how suppressor acquisitions typically go or did SS or my FFL drop the ball?

Last edited by badmatrix; November 4, 2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old November 3, 2023, 11:43 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Those emails recently went out to what seems to be ALL Silencer Shop customers that had gotten approved eF4s since implementation of the program.
I got one for an item that I picked up in February.
I know of at least seven other people that got the same emails for every eF4 that they had filed through SS. (As many as 8 items, for one guy.)
It is unrelated to your situation.

Who dropped the ball for your muffler?
ALL of you.
You should keep tabs on what is going on.
SS should notify you as soon as the eF4 is approved.
And the SOT should tell you as soon as it is ready for pickup.
ALL of you would have been automatically notified when the ATF changed the status to "approved".

You dropped the ball, just as much as they did.
Part of the process involves you creating an account that gives you access and updates in exactly the same way that SS and the SOT get access and updates.
Old November 3, 2023, 05:31 PM   #3
badmatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Those emails recently went out to what seems to be ALL Silencer Shop customers that had gotten approved eF4s since implementation of the program.
I got one for an item that I picked up in February.
I know of at least seven other people that got the same emails for every eF4 that they had filed through SS. (As many as 8 items, for one guy.)
It is unrelated to your situation.

Who dropped the ball for your muffler?
ALL of you.
You should keep tabs on what is going on.
SS should notify you as soon as the eF4 is approved.
And the SOT should tell you as soon as it is ready for pickup.
ALL of you would have been automatically notified when the ATF changed the status to "approved".

You dropped the ball, just as much as they did.
Part of the process involves you creating an account that gives you access and updates in exactly the same way that SS and the SOT get access and updates.
I wrote them periodically and they had no valuable update ….even months after it was approved. All the tools at my disposal including the SS dashboard which I checked often was no help. So I do not think I dropped the ball, I am the first time paying customer. I am going to go back and check during the approval month for S&Gs and see if any of them sent anything out to me. They didn’t. Why should they after the sale? But thanks for the response anyway.

Last edited by badmatrix; November 3, 2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old November 3, 2023, 08:42 PM   #4
dogtown tom

Quote:
badmatrix

I was approved in July. It was the end of October when I happened to find this GD email buried in my inbox.
You mean the approval email from ATF with a copy of your approved eForm 4?
Being that email is how your dealer and you get the approved eForm, you both should have checked your inbox daily.

Quote:
Apparently, SS has no idea what the ATF decides because SS did not let me know I paperwork was approved.
Silencer Shop isn't in the loop. Your local dealer is the transferor, you are the transferee. SS isn't on that form 4 and doesn't always get notified by their Full Auto software.

Quote:
The same was true with my FFL. My suppressor sat in jail for an extra three months after repeated inquiries to both SS and the FFL in my area with a kiosk setup.
Again, SS has no way to know.
Your FFL likely missed the email just like you did.

Quote:
QUESTION: Is this how suppressor acquisitions typically go or did SS or my FFL drop the ball?
You and your FFL both dropped the ball.
Thats why I love this aspect of the eForms system....both transferee and transferor get a notification when the eForm is "Submitted/In Process" and when the status changes to Approved.

I have my Outlook Inbox set up to automatically send any email with "[email protected]" address directly into their own folder.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 4, 2023, 05:39 AM   #5
badmatrix

I wrote them periodically and they had no valuable update ….even months after it was approved. All the tools at my disposal including the SS dashboard which I checked often was no help.

So I do not think I dropped the ball, I am a first time paying customer.

Full auto software failure and FFL asleep at the wheel.

They know first time buyers are anxiously awaiting word….

They know and have much more experience with this than I do.

After three months they both should have had some backlog of notifications for their customers. Unacceptable that they do not own up to weaknesses in the current system. Why should they care…..don’t answer that.
Old November 4, 2023, 10:36 AM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
badmatrix I wrote them periodically and they had no valuable update ….even months after it was approved. All the tools at my disposal including the SS dashboard which I checked often was no help.
Didn't you write "I was approved in July. It was the end of October when I happened to find this GD email buried in my inbox.' ?
If thats true...YOU WERE NOTIFIED.

Quote:
So I do not think I dropped the ball, I am a first time paying customer.
I beg to differ.
ATF sent you that approval email as soon as they approved your eForm 4. That you didn't read it is no ones fault but your own.

Quote:
Full auto software failure and FFL asleep at the wheel.
Again, ATF emailed you and your dealer the approved eForm 4. ATF doesn not send a copy to Silencer Shop.

Quote:
They know first time buyers are anxiously awaiting word….

They know and have much more experience with this than I do.
I do hundreds of Silencer Shop eForms a year. I'm pretty sure I know how their system work. In every case, ATF emails the transferor (your FFL) and the transferee (you) immediately on approval.

Quote:
After three months they both should have had some backlog of notifications for their customers. Unacceptable that they do not own up to weaknesses in the current system. Why should they care…..don’t answer that.
By your own admission.........that three month delay is wholly because you didn't find the email in your inbox.

I really don't get how you can blame anyone but yourself. IT'S YOUR INBOX!

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 4, 2023, 06:58 PM   #7
badmatrix

Okay, so what do you want?
I didn’t see it.
No one else did either.
Mostly a heads up to anyone that when a fkup like this happens, no matter who is at fault, if anyone, a ******** show occurs.
No harm. No foul. A small lesson learned.
Now I know.
That’s it.

Last edited by badmatrix; November 4, 2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old November 12, 2023, 09:06 PM   #8
JustJake

Sounds aspirational.