The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1
GuitarXM

Brass Specifications

I am referring to 308 Brass.
Does anyone know where I can find specs for brass.

I want to know capacity of powder, thickness of brass....etc...
My reloading manuals use winchester and federal brass, where I have remington brass.

Basically I want to compare brass specs and see what Remington brass compares to...
Old April 1, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
ForneyRider

Different lots of brass will vary, even by same brand.

RCBS makes a tool to measure case thickness.
Old April 2, 2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Bart B.

There's no specs for internal size, but only for the outside dimensions as far as I know. .308 Winchester brass doesn't vary much in its metalurgy, but mainly in case capacity. Body wall thickness is the big variable and neck wall's in second place. Which leaves case weight the best indicator of case capacity; thinner cases have more capacity than thick ones.

Thinnest cases having the most capacity are those made by Western Cartridge Company in 1958 head stamped WCC58 loaded with 200-gr. bullets and packaged in white boxes for the US Olympic Team's free rifles. Heaviest ones I've seen are some military ones weighting a bit over 190 grains. Most commercial ones from the USA weigh between 165 and 180 grains.

If your brass is within 5 grains in weight of the brass used in your loading data, that's close enough. If heavier, cut your starting load by one more grain and all should be just fine.
Old April 3, 2009, 08:14 PM   #4
thekyrifleman

Typically Remington brass has a greater wall thickness than the winchester. Not too sure about the Federal. In other words,, case capacity of the remington will be less, and for equivalent powder charges, the Remington brass will generate higher pressures.