The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2006, 01:43 PM   #1
chemist308

98 Mauser 30-06 conversion

Okay, please forgive my ignorance--I'm not a gunsmith.

I was on sportsmansguide and found this for my Mauser. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=213702
Questions:
*Fits my 98K?
*If it does, exactly what else do I need to do for a good conversion?

Thanks!
Old March 5, 2006, 02:20 PM   #2
RJay

Unless you have about a thousand dollars woth of gun smithing tools, know how to make your own or know how to improvise, you need to take it to a gunsmith for replacement, final chamber reamed, and head spaced. then you are going to need a good stock, and oh yes it will have to be refinished to look decent, and don't forget the bolt has to be bent, oh yes. if you are going to scope it you need to have it drilled and tapped and you really should have the safety replaced so it can be used with a scope, in fact by the time you finish , you will have ruined a nice military rifle, and have spent about 200 ( or even more ) dollars more than a very nice , new, name brand, off the rack rifle. Know this for a fact, been there , done that.
Old March 5, 2006, 10:18 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The .308 barrel should fit with only a little fitting and, of course, reaming to the proper headspace. It is not too difficult, but most gunsmiths charge only $50 or so for the job and it is not worth the DIY type buying the tools and equipment.

The .30-'06 barrel is another problem. The standard Mauser 98 magazine is too short for most .30-'06 rounds and must be opened up, as well as the feed ramps adjusted. And that is very tedious and requires considerable expertise and experience. I don't consider it a DIY job unless the person knows what he is doing.

In discussing sporterizing, though, bear in mind Keenan's definition:

Sporterizing - Taking a $1200 rifle and making a $200 rifle out of it, while spending $500 to do the job.
Jim